• Brazil

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That you're pointing to DD playing with 4 attackers & one attacking FB, as a sign of aggressiveness kinda says it all...nevermind that DD most certainly didn't play with 4 attackers and an attacking FB in 2018.

That is the norm for us and I think we should increase that to playing with 5 attackers moving forward...whether in a 4-1-4-1 or a 3-2-5...the way Spain and Brazil did.
Ok name me another team in the is WC that play with 4 offensive players + a very very offensive FB and which scored 9 (in reality 10) goals in 4 games.
I can only think of Brazil. And not Germany. Except in your virtual reality dreams and xG which says it all.

Is some posters don't realize Spain is the most defensive team in the world it's their business.

Doesn’t matter what anyone says, the results speak for themselves. Back to back trips to the WC semis. Amazing accomplishment.

It’s a day for Croatians around the globe to enjoy. The drinks will flow into the evening here!

Budi Ponosan
Nobody's disputing that and you should enjoy it!

Not a great decision to bring Fred on instead of Guimaraes or Fabinho.
Terrible.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
OH gosh how serious you people are and take everything so literally!

A small country, smaller than Scotland, yet again at this stage.

Of course every time it happens is a surprise and every time it doesn't happen for Germany or Brazil is a surprise too.
You posed a question and got an answer. Don't ask questions you don't want the answer for?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ok name me another team in the is WC that play with 4 offensive players + a very very offensive FB and which scored 9 (in reality 10) goals in 4 games.
I can only think of Brazil. And not Germany. Except in your virtual reality dreams and xG which says it all.

Is some posters don't realize Spain is the most defensive team in the world it's their business.

Nobody's disputing that and you should enjoy it!

Terrible.
It's cute that you're getting into the nuances of how spain uses their possession defensively while ignoring any nuance with the way DD has you playing by focusing on the number of attackers that he's starting and the goal totals. Very cute.

Anyways, using your own 'starting x number of attackers is defensive? lol' logic: Spain played with 5 attacking players; Pedri, Gavi & a front 3. With Neymar, Paqueta, Vini, Richarlison, and Raphinha, Brazil also played 5 attacking players in front of their backline. We played with Raum, 4 attackers, and Goretzka/Gundogan at the 8. Portugal plays with 4 attackers and 2 attacking FBs.

Even England, who are also criticized for being more defensive than they should be with their talent, play with 4 attackers. That's not being aggressive, that's just not being as conservative as DD usually is.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Frankly DD is making France play in a way that anyone with an iota of footballing IQ would, regardless of the number of offensive players. France need 10 minutes as they know to kill a game. You have to beat France, you can't hope that France defeats herself, the first thing to do would be to undermine their certainties, and it's not easy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Frankly DD is making France play in a way that anyone with an iota of footballing IQ would, regardless of the number of offensive players. France need 10 minutes as they know to kill a game. You have to beat France, you can't hope that France defeats herself, the first thing to do would be to undermine their certainties, and it's not easy.

It has worked at some times and failed at others. That exact approach was the reason that Switzerland was able to knock them out of the euros.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It has worked at some times and failed at others. That exact approach was the reason that Switzerland was able to knock them out of the euros.

They defeated them mentally in the match that time, it's physically difficult to be with them for 90 minutes.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It's understandable if you have to submit a list in advance and you always had him at 5th, but you don't. They knew pen 4 was a must make penalty, had the option to put in Neymar, and didn't do it.
Wait, did they change this rule? I always thought you had to submit your list in advance.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's cute that you're getting into the nuances of how spain uses their possession defensively while ignoring any nuance with the way DD has you playing by focusing on the number of attackers that he's starting and the goal totals. Very cute.

Anyways, using your own 'starting x number of attackers is defensive? lol' logic: Spain played with 5 attacking players; Pedri, Gavi & a front 3. With Neymar, Paqueta, Vini, Richarlison, and Raphinha, Brazil also played 5 attacking players in front of their backline. We played with Raum, 4 attackers, and Goretzka/Gundogan at the 8. Portugal plays with 4 attackers and 2 attacking FBs.

Even England, who are also criticized for being more defensive than they should be with their talent, play with 4 attackers. That's not being aggressive, that's just not being as conservative as DD usually is.
It's cute that you think you know football and you think Spain is an offensive team.
That's like football 101.
If Pedri and Gavi are offensive players, then Rabiot too. Cms aren't offensive players. We played with 4 + Theo and didn't JUST win the xG battle.

Stop you're just being ridiculous here.

Spain has won a triple trophies thanks to defensive tacs. That's exactly why they almost never scored.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It's just a fault of that style, you're more vulnerable to teams that also play very cautiously; hoping for counters or set-pieces.

Sure, it depends on the type of game but against France it's not a tactic I would use for 90 minutes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's cute that you think you know football and you think Spain is an offensive team.
That's like football 101.
If Pedri and Gavi are offensive players, then Rabiot too. Cms aren't offensive players. We played with 4 + Theo and didn't JUST win the xG battle.

Stop you're just being ridiculous here.

Spain has won a triple trophies thanks to defensive tacs. That's exactly why they almost never scored.

Do you not see how ridiculous it is that for Spain you talk about the way they actually play but for France you only talk about the #s, ignoring how conservatively they also play?

I just can't wrap my head around that level of cognitive dissonance.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I never said France was an offensive team.
OTOH you said Spain is.

Laughable. Spain has the record for less goals by a WC champs. France has the record for most.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure, it depends on the type of game but against France it's not a tactic I would use for 90 minutes.

If that's your style of play, then why not? France are vulnerable to it and can get really frustrated if you don't give them an openings to take advantage of.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Cgf talking about France's vulnerability while hyping up Germany's xG is one of the most hilarious running gag on this site.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I never said France was an offensive team.
OTOH you said Spain is.

Laughable. Spain has the record for less goals by a WC champs. France has the record for most.

You're response to someone saying that France plays defensively & hopes for counters was:
I could take you seriously but some things that you wrote are so off-base...
France started 4 offensive players + Theo.
So yeah... Launch Mbappe and defend. Good job.

I pointed out that according to that same logic, Spain wasn't a defensive team either. But instead of acknowledging the flaw in that logic, a flaw that you yourself pointed out by referencing the way Spain actually plays, you're just digging in...

I just don't understand how you can be so brazenly hypocritical without even a hint of shame. I'd be embarrassed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cgf talking about France's vulnerability while hyping up Germany's xG is one of the most hilarious running gag on this site.

I'm just trying to be as funny as you going on a diatribe about xG without understanding how it's calculated. Unfortunately I'm not the natural comedian that you are :dunno:

Reactions: PBandJ

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
popcorn-drama.gif

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I wish we would stop being so sensitive. Thrashings in soccer are normal in Europe and South America especially in the lower levels. It's not considered "rubbing it in", it's celebrating your own play.

If you don't like thrashings and people celebrating their good game, play better. It's super simple.

I find it highly ironic that terms like "running up the score" or "act like you have been there" are so prevalent in the US in an attempt to tell people it's bad form to play to your full ability while at the same time trash talking seems to be a cultural rite of passage.

America, the land of the mercy rule and trash talking. Apparently those things aren't mutually exclusive.
i love you

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You're response to someone saying that France plays defensively & hopes for counters was:

I pointed out that according to that same logic, Spain wasn't a defensive team either. But instead of acknowledging the flaw in that logic, a flaw that you yourself pointed out by referencing the way Spain actually plays, you're just digging in...

I just don't understand how you can be so brazenly hypocritical without even a hint of shame. I'd be embarrassed.
Yeah I pointed out that "play D and launch Mbappe" is a laughable post. glad you're defending it.

There's zero hypocrisy.
You hype teams like current Germany and current and former Spain as offensive teams while they can't score and keep on going on DD's defensive style when they do score.
Heck I'm pretty sure even not counting Mbappe we scored more actual goals thamn you lot.
And Yet apparently I'm hypocritical, nor you.

:laugh:

I'm just trying to be as funny as you going on a diatribe about xG without understanding how it's calculated. Unfortunately I'm not the natural comedian that you are :dunno:
Funny because I schooled you xG because you couldn't even understand how it worked.
Very disappointed you didn't learn but unfortunately not surprised.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Brazil's coach Tite is talking like he is going to step down from coaching the national team in his press conference.

He doesn't want to dance anymore?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I enjoy Brazil. Hope they never change and with the younger generation, I don't think it will. They embrace who they are and its fun. I'm stunned at the result though. I thought this was Brazil year, especially with how good Neymar has been entering this tournament. Bit upsetting cause I found myself cheering for them.

I love Rodrygo and I am absolutely STUNNED they sent him up first. Absolutely insane.

However what else can be said about Luka Modric? everywhere tonight, just truly one of the greats.

Also never seen people so upset about dancing, good lord.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Honestly its overstated most teams have notorious divers... cant blame people for having fun with celebrating.

Has anyone checked on my dear friend @John Pedro ?
I'm switching my nationality to Argentina there they know how to speak Spanish (bueno) and beat European nations also good

what a joke of a team but can't expect much from a coach like Tite... dude prefers Fred to Fabinho/BG, didn't bring a actual RB backup...

better to lose now than getting embarrassed in the semis like 2014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad