Who Advances?

• Brazil

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
France tied the record for most goals in a WC. So lol. 11 goals in the KO stage (4 games).
Croatia, however, didn't register a single win after 90 minutes in that 2018 KO game. They scored 5 goals in 4 games in regular time (including 2 in the final).
So far they're at 0 in 2 games this year. Let's not pretend Croatia always faced stronger teams and that they were forced to regroup.
That's how they play and it's effective because they play it well. Well done.

But even as a french fan who obviously benefits from Brazil losing, football fans outside Croatia should feel sorry to see a brazilian team with tons of offensive talent lose to a team that tries to win on PK by keeping clean sheets.

Unfortunately, Brazil were also the worst coached team left in the tournament which handicaps their talent.

Reactions: luiginb

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's the mild British accented translator dude who en-un-ci-at-es every single syllable for every non-English interview.

"I..want...to win ....the World Cup....it has been...a dream..."

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Can Croatia be officially elevated to the status of football superpower? If the number of such countries is fixed perhaps Germany can be relegated to a second tier-status.
It would be like calling Oregon a blue blood of college football, it doesn't work like that. Generations of consistent success is needed and these superpowers have been pretty much established since post-WW2 if not longer in a couple cases.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Congrats to Croatia, they're hard to beat.
But you can't love football and lose this team except I'd you're a croatian supporter. Boring defensive football, trying to reach PKs.
Lol what?

We have a midfield trio to control any game and no strikers. We are the slowest team in the tournament.
WTF do you want, to go end-to-end with Vini and Neymar?

This is how we play, because it's the only way we can play. We beat France and Denmark in the NL playing the same game.

There's a difference in playing "defensive football" and trying to control the game while having the ball.
We had more possession and more passes than Brazil - we just don't really have an Mbappe to break through.

It's like how France play with a low block with no offensive game and then catapult Mbappe out to score 2 goals and win games - it works.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Agreed plus it should be remembered that despite even the best outcome of team building, these aren't two robotic monoliths playing against each other.

Sure if you compare on paper, Brazil vs South Korea is hella lopsided, but it's not like a single Brazil player scored all 4 goals and was whooping it up further and further each time, these players scored a goal for their country on the biggest stage that they've been dreaming about since they were kids.

I think some nuance and this context is ignored sometimes to conveniently create villains, and I get it, its sports, they are games at the end of the day and the theatre, drama, and characters are part of why we love it.
For sure.

Brazil football, in general, plays and acts in ways that is going to gather a lot of strong emotions on all sides. They're a hero to some and a villian to others. I wouldn't fault anyone either way.

I personally...frigging hate them. Does it make me a hypocrite when the side I cheer for is known for histrionics of their own? Maybe a little bit.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
For sure.

Brazil football, in general, plays and acts in ways that is going to gather a lot of strong emotions on all sides. They're a hero to some and a villian to others. I wouldn't fault anyone either way.

I personally...frigging hate them. Does it make me a hypocrite when the side I cheer for is known for histrionics of their own? Maybe a little bit.
Honestly its overstated most teams have notorious divers... cant blame people for having fun with celebrating.

Has anyone checked on my dear friend @John Pedro ?

Reactions: cgf

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed.

Croatia was realistic about their chances and picked the smartest game plan. Poland, at times, was anticompetitive.
Croatia have creativity and flair in their lineup that make any Poland comparisons unreasonable. As posters have mentioned a good pragmatic match from Croatia. Taking their chances when they come but not overcommitting and leaving the back wide open. Croatia had several chances in the match.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd be more critical if Croatia had parked the bus the entire match and won in PKs after 0-0 in extra time.

But coming back to score after conceding one moderates that opinion.

Brazil had the game in hand and couldn't finish it out.
Strong mental, no doubt.
But a deflection goal isn't a testimony of nice football either.

Reactions: NyQuil

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France still didn't approach any of the games with the same "we'll blow you away" approach that Germany and Spain ineffectively pursue in all their matches. France can score goals in bunches even from a fairly defensive orientation because you have the complete package striker in Mbappe who poses an unsolvable challenge for most opponents. And of course it's not like the team around him is bad. What I'm saying is France played a pragmatic game centered around their strengths. I tipped them to win in 2018, and I think with Brazil out they've got a very good shot to repeat now. I know you shit on Deschamps on a lot, but I think he's actually done a pretty great job overall.

Now whether I prefer Croatia or Brazil to advance, it's not really a major issue for me. I think Brazil obviously are the more talented side who play a much more attractive style. But I do appreciate a plucky underdog making its way through a tournament as well.
You confuse me for @cgf .
I totally respect DD even if I don't share ma'y of his decisions. His leadership and winning mentality are unmatched in international football. Guy's a born winner.
But to compare that french and its scoring with how Croatia approached then and now is weird to me.

I love underdogs and again, Croatia showed a lot of mental strength. And it is good news for other favourites.
But football lost a little tonight.

Reactions: gary69

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Honestly its overstated most teams have notorious divers... cant blame people for having fun with celebrating.

Has anyone checked on my dear friend @John Pedro ?
I agree, but even as a fan of a European side I kind of do feel like some fans will criticize a non-Euro side for diving more than a Euro side for the same dive, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

member 305909

It would be like calling Oregon a blue blood of college football, it doesn't work like that. Generations of consistent success is needed and these superpowers have been pretty much established since post-WW2 if not longer in a couple cases.
OH gosh how serious you people are and take everything so literally!

A small country, smaller than Scotland, yet again at this stage.

Of course every time it happens is a surprise and every time it doesn't happen for Germany or Brazil is a surprise too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol what?

We have a midfield trio to control any game and no strikers. We are the slowest team in the tournament.
WTF do you want, to go end-to-end with Vini and Neymar?

This is how we play, because it's the only way we can play. We beat France and Denmark in the NL playing the same game.

There's a difference in playing "defensive football" and trying to control the game while having the ball.
We had more possession and more passes than Brazil - we just don't really have an Mbappe to break through.

It's like how France play with a low block with no offensive game and then catapult Mbappe out to score 2 goals and win games - it works.
I could take you seriously but some things that you wrote are so off-base...
France started 4 offensive players + Theo.
So yeah... Launch Mbappe and defend. Good job.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
France playing with AG as an 8 and Theo (albeit seemingly forced because they went with Lucas before injury) is not defensive lol

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
For sure.

I think it just reflects the different cultures. In Northern Europe, we're raised to not be demonstrative. If I won 5 million dollars in the lottery my mother would calmly, with a hint of pleasure, say "that's pretty good, but how much are you going to be taxed on it?". From working in multi-national settings with people from all over the world, you get a sense that the norms for what is the standard, acceptable response to social situations varies a great deal.

I believe the Brazilians when they say they dance after a goal, that it's just their expression of joy and not meant as a sign of disrespect to the opponents. But in (Northern) European cultures it's typically considered a major faux pas to express excessive happiness in the presence of someone else who is very unhappy. There's less exuberance in general, but in particular if there's contrasting emotions in a group. If Joe gets fired, and Mike gets promoted as a result..Mike celebrating wildly in the presence of Joe would be majorly frowned upon even if Mike and Joe didn't even know each other.

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I could take you seriously but some things that you wrote are so off-base...
France started 4 offensive players + Theo.
So yeah... Launch Mbappe and defend. Good job.

That you're pointing to DD playing with 4 attackers & one attacking FB, as a sign of aggressiveness kinda says it all...nevermind that DD most certainly didn't play with 4 attackers and an attacking FB in 2018.

That is the norm for us and I think we should increase that to playing with 5 attackers moving forward...whether in a 4-1-4-1 or a 3-2-5...the way Spain and Brazil did.

Not saying it hasn't been effective...especially with your defensive talent + counter-attacking threat...but DD most certainly has you playing much more defensively than Germany, Spain, Brazil, etc.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I think it just reflects the different cultures. In Northern Europe, we're raised to not be demonstrative. If I won 5 million dollars in the lottery my mother would calmly, with a hint of pleasure, say "that's pretty good, but how much are you going to be taxed on it?". From working in multi-national settings with people from all over the world, you get a sense that the norms for what is the standard, acceptable response to social situations varies a great deal.

I believe the Brazilians when they say they dance after a goal, that it's just their expression of joy and not meant as a sign of disrespect to the opponents. But in (Northern) European cultures it's typically considered a major faux pas to express excessive happiness in the presence of someone else who is very unhappy. There's less exuberance in general, but in particular if there's contrasting emotions in a group. If Joe gets fired, and Mike gets promoted as a result..Mike celebrating wildly in the presence of Joe would be majorly frowned upon even if Mike and Joe didn't even know each other.
Therein lies the difference between Northern and Southern Europe; Italians can go from zero to drama queen in less than a tenth of a second. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree, but even as a fan of a European side I kind of do feel like some fans will criticize a non-Euro side for diving more than a Euro side for the same dive, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Nope. And it's not just non-European sides, Southern-european sides get that same double standard...even though opa Müller works the refs harder than any other footballer.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Who in their right mind would play Brazil openly? We bosses the midfield the entire game. Absolute masterclass from Luka, Mateo and Marcelo.

Croatia did in the extra time, after going down. Hoping they play a bit more entertaining game after now they will have an easier opponent than Brazil in the SF.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Croatia's midfield made the difference, Brazil gave me the feeling of being rather fragile in their most important men, I mean mentally.
Croatia had exposed Brazil defence a few times just in first half. I knew they could pick some locks. Whether the finish would be there was the question.

But aside from that Croatia have several players on pitch that have known their WC success and believe. i think Brazil lost theirs in 2014 and have not gotten it back. Brazil now have not won since 2002.

Reactions: Incubajerks

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Doesn’t matter what anyone says, the results speak for themselves. Back to back trips to the WC semis. Amazing accomplishment.

It’s a day for Croatians around the globe to enjoy. The drinks will flow into the evening here!

Budi Ponosan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad