St. Louis
1670352329170.png
vs.
1670352352689.png

Teams:
Brazil v. Croatia
Time and Date (CST): Friday, December 9, 9:00 AM
Venue: Education City Stadium
Storyline: This quarterfinal matchup pits last World Cup's runner-up against the country with the most World Cup wins in its history. Brazil enters this matchup in scintillating form, coming off a 4-1 drubbing of South Korea in the Round of 16 which had a scoreline that slightly flattered the Asian nation. All four Brazilian goals came in the first half, allowing for a relaxed second half and the chance for some Brazilian players to get a breather. The four goals were each scored by a different player, with Richarlison perhaps scoring the most technical of the goals, coming after three seal dribbles and a nice flick. Brazil was bolstered by the return of Neymar and retain both quality starters and depth, even in the face of a handful of injuries. Their group stage campaign was comfortable, if perhaps disappointing, as wins in their first two matches, one against Serbia and the other against Switzerland, allowed for a rotated squad that ultimately lost in Cameroon despite controlling the match. Brazil entered the tournament as one of the favorites and has done little to shake that evaluation.

Croatia, meanwhile, had a bit of a rockier road to get to this round. The 2018 runner-up and dark horse contender this year required penalties to get past Japan in a match where Croatia was the favorite. Japan went up with a goal on the stroke of halftime, leading to some thoughts of an upset, but Croatia leveled through a well-placed header by Ivan Perisic. For the most part, Croatia controlled the match, although Japan had its chances on the break, including demanding an impressive save from Croatian goalkeeper, Dominik Lovakovic. Lovakovic repeated those heroics in the penalty shootout, saving three Japanese penalties, and Mario Pasalic's cool finish in the fourth round of PKs gave Croatia the win. In the group stages, Croatia had a rather boring 0-0 draw against Morocco, who joins the Balkan nation in the Quarterfinals, before beating Canada 4-1, despite falling behind early. They followed that performance up with another 0-0 draw, this one a nail biter, against Belgium, who many thought could be a contender this year as well. Croatia has a strong midfield, but lacks some quality in attack. Croatia will seek to slow the tempo of the match, control the midfield battle, and eliminate Brazilian scoring chances, while Brazil will likely play its uptempo brand of soccer that has served it so well thus far.

This will be the 5th meeting of these sides, with Brazil having never lost, winning the last three matchups, including in the 2006 and 2014 World Cups, and the sides having drawn once.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I guess Brazil because younger legs + no extra time
We match pretty well against most top teams. France, England, Argentina, Holland, Portugal, etc.
Probably not Spain. And probably not Brazil.

Our strikers are very subpar for this level (Petkovic/Livaja/Budimir) that it's crazy to think Dalic didn't even try the Benfica kid Musa (who's still young, even if he's a squad player there, should've been given a chance).
If Sosa is unavailable, our LB is suddenly Barisic, which means there's problems there too.

I don't think we have the speed and agility to match up vs Brazil, even if we control the game.
We are slow, not physical, lack size (outside of CBs and Perisic) and our attack is basically whatever Perisic comes up with.

We either slow the game down through our midfield and make it a boring game where 1 goal will decide it... or we lose.

But F it... We'll give it a go.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
That's the best approach imo

And yeah at this stage you have to give it a go
Yup. Nobody in the world is going to beat Brazil at Brazil's pace. No one. You have to find other ways if you hope to win.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Brazil’s weakness is transition defense

So if they play a team with good defense and at least 1 fast counter attacker they could have problems
That team could be France
From your words to God's ears, the only team I want to win less than Brazil is England lol.

A healthy France would give Brazil fits. An injured France? Don't know.

Reactions: Power Man

member 305909

Brazil also is traditionally a team which gets the job done but rarely trashes its opponents. Therefore 2-0 is my prediction.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Neymar continues to never cease his diving. I just wish someone would lay a massive open ic....err field hit on him.

Another pathetic dive. f*** Brazil man.

member 305909

From your words to God's ears, the only team I want to win less than Brazil is England lol.

A healthy France would give Brazil fits. An injured France? Don't know.
If either Brazil or France wins the tournament then at least the other one doesn't. That's a bit of a consolation.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I know midfield control is Croatia's strength but I also think it's a bit of a weakness in terms of how many opportunities the midfield misses on to pass it to the open fullback out wide and then to put the cross in. Happened multiple times even from Modric, Sosa making a run in space out side and he turns and passes it back instead.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I know midfield control is Croatia's strength but I also think it's a bit of a weakness in terms of how many opportunities the midfield misses on to pass it to the open fullback out wide and then to put the cross in. Happened multiple times even from Modric, Sosa making a run in space out side and he turns and passes it back instead.
They dont have the pace to counter.

Really good showing from Croatia just as I thought the experience is just too much but I wonder after 120 mins how will they progress?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad