Who Advances?

• Brazil

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
I must say, I feel bad for Neymar that his goal today will now go to waste, that should have been HIS moment in a yellow jersey but sadly, it's now every bit as meaningless as his penalty against South Korea.

Neymar is legit one of the greatest brazilian players of all time but his value in the eyes of brazilian fans is nowhere near that. For instance, Neymar was a MUCH better player than Ronaldhinho for Brazil but Ronaldhinho is still celebrated more because of that performance against England in 2002.

He will obviously surpass Pele's record as the top goal scorer but he's probably not even considered a top 15 player for his country all-time.

Reactions: Tony Romo

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I must say, I feel bad for Neymar that his goal today will now go to waste, that should have been HIS moment in a yellow jersey but sadly, it's now every bit as meaningless as his penalty against South Korea.

Neymar is legit one of the greatest brazilian players of all time but his value in the eyes of brazilian fans is nowhere near that. For instance, Neymar was a MUCH better player than Ronaldhinho for Brazil but Ronaldhinho is still celebrated more because of that performance against England in 2002.

He will obviously surpass Pele's record as the top goal scorer but he's probably not even considered a top 15 player for his country all-time.

Nah, Neymar's real chance was in 2014, but that injury and shellacking by Germany ruined it. Mostly same for Messi, but Leo still has some chance for the title, even though he is no longer at his peak level.

Neymar never reached the peak level of Ronaldinho, even though he has remained at the top level for longer.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Nah, Neymar's real chance was in 2014, but that injury and shellacking by Germany ruined it. Mostly same for Messi, but Leo still has some chance for the title, even though he is no longer at his peak level.

Neymar never reached the peak level of Ronaldinho, even though he has remained at the top level for longer.
Oh, Ronaldhinho was the superior talent without a doubt but in the Brazilian shirt he was never really anything special.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Oh, Ronaldhinho was the superior talent without a doubt but in the Brazilian shirt he was never really anything special.

I don't how you can say that. Ro-Ro-Ri trio was certainly special in WC 2002. Ronaldo was the scorer, but that doesn't diminish the role of Ronaldinho in any way.

I would rather say that Neymar wasn't anything special for Brazil, at least on the biggest stage.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't how you can say that. Ro-Ro-Ri trio was certainly special in WC 2002. Ronaldo was the scorer, but that doesn't diminish the role of Ronaldinho in any way.

I would rather say that Neymar wasn't anything special for Brazil, at least on the biggest stage.
I agree with the previous poster, Ronnie was always underwhelming with Brazil. Including the 02 WC where he was celebrated for any half goal or half assist he made because he was huge with his club. But in reality, he was never the technical leader of that team and without Ronaldo's incredible scoring prowess, Brazil crashes early.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013

I don't think the goal is entirely meaningless. He still showed up with a brilliant play. I do feel a little bit bad for him aswell though.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Surely he's not that high. Recency bias and all that.

There are great Brazilians from the late forties and fifties onwards. Everyone for instance bangs on about Cafu but most have never heard of Djalma Santos. Recency bias is a poor excuse for ranking players.

Has Brazil ever had a non-Brazilian coach?
Yes Ramon Platero took his ideas from Uruguay and implemented them at Flamengo before having a short spell with the selecao. It was a long time ago as well. The mid twenties.

Reactions: Rob and gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Neymar's letter to Tite made me like him a tiny bit more. Very genuine.

That's why I like him. He's an over-excited puppy, so he does annoying over-excited puppy stuff sometimes...but I can't get too mad at him for it because he's just such a sincere goofball.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Really seems to me like Neymar's prime and career are deeply historically undervalued just by virtue of having occurred at the same time as Messi (and, ugh, CR7). His record for both club and country is genuinely nuts and would've gotten a worldful of hype and attention if not for them. I don't think there's an argument for anyone else being the third best player of the 2010s - other players came and went as #3 throughout the decade (Robben, Ribery, Suarez, Modric, Iniesta, KdB, Salah), but no one else was consistently in that top tier throughout.

Ronaldinho is sexier, but from a career perspective I'd take Neymar.

Him and TS are great... Marquinhos still gonna get another WC, TS gonna go down as "loser" for the NT.
Tragic for Thiago, who deserves nothing but the absolute world and who I've never seen put in a bad shift in yellow (I only watch the big tournaments, to be fair).

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Really seems to me like Neymar's prime and career are deeply historically undervalued just by virtue of having occurred at the same time as Messi (and, ugh, CR7). His record for both club and country is genuinely nuts and would've gotten a worldful of hype and attention if not for them. I don't think there's an argument for anyone else being the third best player of the 2010s - other players came and went as #3 throughout the decade (Robben, Ribery, Suarez, Modric, Iniesta, KdB, Salah), but no one else was consistently in that top tier throughout.

Ronaldinho is sexier, but from a career perspective I'd take Neymar.
And like CR7, Neymar mostly played with absolute donkeys in the national team. Pélé was surrounded by greatness (Garrincha, Didi, Vava, Rivelino, Jairzino, etc.) the boys in the 80's, although they didn't win, was a who's who of footballing legends. Fenomeno had Romario, Bebeto, Rivaldo, Ronnie (before he fell off a cliff), Kaka, Adriano and the list goes on.

Neymar had what? Philippe Coutinho?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad