OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
They really should write a more specific easier to understand rule book for soccer. Like instead of saying a game may not start just write a game cannot start. Why leave it to interpretation??? The offside rule has to be the most disputed and misunderstood in all of sports. Yet to an official it is quite simple. By putting the words "interfering with play" leads to much discussion on this meaning.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The offside rule makes perfect sense to me, but I officiate hockey so intricate rules of other sports make sense to me too. It's really no more complex to me than delayed offside and tag-ups in hockey.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The difference is you can be in an offside position in soccer but not offside. A person in an offside position never has to leave the offside position for play to continue legally. And a goal can be scored while someone is in an offside position. And many wouldn't know that attacker has to have 2 defenders between them and goal line.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Costa Rica pulled off the biggest upset of the tournament so far and Uruguay will have a very tough time advancing after this. Can't see them beating both Italy and England. Speaking of which... Italy-England coming up.

Traditionally there is two different schools on how soccer is supposed to be played. You have the British rugby-influenced break-some-legs and kick long balls on the center tank and you have the Italian-influenced more feminine way of playing the game. Unfortunately the latter is taking over.

I know I said I wasn't going to watch Brazil and Italy play the other day but they will starr as the enemy the good guy needs to overcome for tonight. Go England!

Also very excited to see Ivory Coast after this. Really like their team and they had had very bad luck with their group draw the last two times. This time it looks much easier for them and they could do some real damage. Just too bad Drogba is past his peak.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
In local leagues you may be able to continue with less than 7 but for a FIFA sanctioned event like the World Cup it is definitely 7. Here is an bit from FIFA's Laws of the Game:

Although a match may not START if either team consists of fewer than seven
players, the minimum number of players in a team required for a match to
CONTINUE is left to the discretion of member associations. However, it is the
opinion of the International F.A. Board that a match should not continue if
there are fewer than seven players in either team.

This is where the context is just odd. It is clearly stated by IFAB that it is an opinion, and not a rule, per se. The fact is it was a ridiculous call that was brought about by the idiocy of the ref. Although I understand where you are coming from with having a game stop with less than 7 players, a move where players committed so much dissent toward the ref to force a decision on a game would make it so that FIFA would have to take a hard look at this issue.

How weird would it be to have a game called with a one goal deficit b/c the players are standing up to a horrible call, with absolute justification for doing so? How much crap would FIFA have to go through to explain why a game was stopped? I would almost guarantee that an unprecedented move like that would have to call into question the integrity of the laws of the game, and maybe create some future change in the process. The team that the phantom call occurs against is the one who gets punished the most. The ref may get punished from the standpoint of not working a game in the next round. The player who dove gets no punishment. None of that makes sense to me, unless the ref was gaining some level of favor in doing so, which would also bring some level of speculation on FIFA's management.

Great World Cup so far, minus the awful officiating in the first two games (Brazil-Croatia and Mexico-Cameroon). Everything else for the refs appears to have settled down, and the play has really been awesome. Lots of excellent goals. Maybe CONCACAF has shown it is gaining strength with the Costa Rica win over Uruguay.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Switzerland 1
Ecuador 1

France 2
Honduras 0

Argentina 1
Bosnia-Herzegovina 1

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The schedule for June 16, 2014 and finally the United States will play tomorrow.

http://www.espnfc.com/scores?date=20140616

United States vs Ghana 3PM PST

With the United States being in the so called Death Group, this game is a must win for them. Safe to say that the Germany vs Portugal matchup needs to end in a draw as well to help out the United States?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
USA! USA! USA!

SPORTS_SOC-GUATEMALA-USA_8_KC.jpg

USA-v-Turkey.jpg

CardStunt-010104-RoseBowl.jpg

V3-130619753.jpg&maxw=400

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
The ending to the Switzerland game was insane. I thought Ecuador had a shot to put a shot on net, then the swiss go down the field to score the go ahead goal. That was awesome.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
France won 3-0 I am happy. :)

What a relief. After the 2010 debacle I was really concerned the team would totally embarrass itself again, but the group looks pretty tight and motivated. Could be an interesting tournament.

The ending to the Switzerland game was insane. I thought Ecuador had a shot to put a shot on net, then the swiss go down the field to score the go ahead goal. That was awesome.

That was indeed awesome! So far the world cup has been just great Surprises, thrillers, and lots of goals. I only watch the Euro and the world cup, so one tournament every other year - not a huge soccer fan - but this has been really fun.

Although i Have to admit, I was forced to watch the champion's league final between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid while I was in France a couple weeks ago - WOW. That was one for the ages.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
1-0 USA at the half though a concern for 1 of the players due to an injury.

Germany also won 4-0 today.

Last edited:

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I'm glad that Cote d'Ivoire (with apologies for the lack of appropriate diacritical marks) are off to a good start, if only because of Didier Drogba. The man has done a lot of admirable things charity-wise, and I have derived my personal motto from his response to the officiating in a certain Champions League match:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: