OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Nice job by the US team. Now it;s just a matter of beating those pesky Portugese. Piece of cake... :laugh:

Seriously though, I would pay to see Ronaldo lose the next game. That would make me very, very happy.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Portugal did themselves a huge disservice in the first game. Their big Real Madrid centerback -- Pepe -- headbutted / got in a fight with / got wronged by German 'raumduter' Thomas Mueller and got a red card for his efforts.

Two consequences:
1) Portugal played most of the game with 10 men, and lost convincingly, 4-0. A -4 goal differential is a rough tie-breaker, so Portugal will realistically have to win their last 2 games by multiple goals to get through.
2) Pepe is suspended for the USA game.

Pepe is the Zbyniek Michalek of Portugal, and there is no positional pairing more important in soccer than the two center-backs. Countless goals are scored when one CB is injured/suspended and the replacement doesn't have as good an understanding with the starter ... both guys cover 1 forward, leave the other forward open, etc.

Apart from Ronaldo, the two center-backs Pepe and Bruno Alves are most important to Portugal's (or any team's) chances. Either of them being out of the lineup could be huge.

Still two very difficult games ahead, but if Germany beats Ghana (they will), and we get a result against Portugal, we'll be sitting very pretty.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seriously though, I would pay to see Ronaldo lose the next game. That would make me very, very happy.

Their strategy consisted mostly of "endlessly feed Ronaldo the ball, no matter how dumb it may seem or if he's offside"

Plucky teams are always dangerous and Team USA is playing with house money after the Ghana win. Wouldn't be surprised to see a win over Portugal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Apart from Ronaldo, the two center-backs Pepe and Bruno Alves are most important to Portugal's (or any team's) chances. Either of them being out of the lineup could be huge.

Looks like both D Fabio Coentrao and F Hugo Almeida have been ruled out for the remainder of the group round with injuries.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Their strategy consisted mostly of "endlessly feed Ronaldo the ball, no matter how dumb it may seem or if he's offside".

Yep. Also, the guy refuses to defend, and he's the type of moron to take off his shirt, scream like tarzan and pose flexing every muscle in his body after scoring a meaningless penalty kick when his team is already leading 3-1. Seriously, his performance during the champion's league final was downright embarrassing. The Atletico was so close to shutting him up... ugh.

article-2638462-1E2E873500000578-454_634x565.jpg

Look at this idiot. Hugely overrated.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
"Ronaldo scores in a Champions League final"

Played like **** all match and then gets to take a meaningless penalty that had absolutely no bearing on the result late in extra time. I would have shouted in joy if he'd put it over the bar.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Pretty sure that Germany will beat Ghana, so reality is that we simply need a draw against Portugal, and then we'll sit at 4 points with Portugal at 1 point. Even if Portugal defeats Ghana and we lose to Germany, there will have to be a 5 goal difference made up between those games to give Portugal the edge over the U.S. I don't see that happening. Amazing for the U.S.

Worst case scenario is Portugal beats us, and Ghana beats Germany - locks everyone up at 3 points. That would also mean that our goal differential would be, at best, equal to that of Ghana. Then we would have to play the toughest out to gain a spot in the final 16.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Ochoa getting a big save to help Mexico get a tie vs Brazil. South Korea couldn't hold off Russia for the win after getting that gift wrapped goal in the 2nd half as that game ended in a tie.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...e-worlds-highest-paid-athletes-2014/10628531/

Forbes magazine has released its latest list of highest-paid athletes in the world.

Boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr., tops the list at $105 million, despite not making any money on endorsements, according to Forbes.

Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo was No. 2 at $80 million, while LeBron James was No. 3 at $72.3 million. No. 4 on the list was soccer's Lionel Messi at $64.7 million and rounding out the top five was Kobe Bryant with $61.5 million.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Tim Cahill trumps Robin van Persie's goal against Spain and takes over the title of best goal of the tournament. What a goal!

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Oh hell. The Aussies must feel like this one slipped away from them, but they have all my respect. The freaky-deaky Dutch are lucky they have guys like Robben and van Persie to steal matches for them.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Tim Cahill trumps Robin van Persie's goal against Spain and takes over the title of best goal of the tournament. What a goal!

Awesome goal. This match was exactly what makes the world cup so exciting. Underdog story, 5 goals, tight game, and one hell of a volley. Love it.

Can't wait for Spain-Chile. Could the world champion be eliminated today?

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Fortunately I have no money to lose, otherwise Spain’s betting odds still being at +650 would probably be too tempting. Tough group, Chile match up well against them, tired squad, playing in a different continent etc. etc. - but they’re still so much better than any other national team.
Genius :laugh: Great call Bondurant & ck26.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Spain... don't think that your national team is full of losers... they did their best! And if you do your best, you're a winner in life. All you have to do is BOLIEVE!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Went to Arizona United SC vs. Los Angeles Galaxy tonight. Was kind of fun and not bad for $16 a ticket.

They announced the attendance at 4,018 at the Peoria Sports Complex. I don't believe it for a minute.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Went to Arizona United SC vs. Los Angeles Galaxy tonight. Was kind of fun and not bad for $16 a ticket.

They announced the attendance at 4,018 at the Peoria Sports Complex. I don't believe it for a minute.

Reminded me to check: all three of the teams I was rooting for lost tonight their cup ties: Arizona United, Orlando City U23, Orlando City...oh well.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Too bad it wasn't on a weekend (no USOC games are). That was the largest crowd of the season and on a Wednesday night. Team played very well against a MLS side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad