OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are the number to guess how many dives each team will do?

Diving is really only prevalent in the World Cup due to the high stakes, and the pressure put on refs that are more than willing to buckle, especially if it involves the host country. It's the same reason there's diving and embellishment in hockey, even in the playoffs. If a player can get away with it, it can totally change a game, even moreso in soccer if a penalty is awarded or a guy gets a red card.

Only a few countries dive with regularity, the rest is just isolated with specific players. And mostly people see soccer players in agony as ridiculous when it's just a way to attract the attention of the ref to a foul the same way snapping your head back when you legitimately get high sticked is.

If you keep asking yourself "How do people watch this crap?" then maybe watch this as a starter:

Hockey is really no different. It's equally perplexing, silly, crazy, and unappealing to a large swathe of people. Let go your predilections, have a few beers, and enjoy the world cup.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Diving is really only prevalent in the World Cup due to the high stakes, and the pressure put on refs that are more than willing to buckle, especially if it involves the host country. It's the same reason there's diving and embellishment in hockey, even in the playoffs. If a player can get away with it, it can totally change a game, even moreso in soccer if a penalty is awarded or a guy gets a red card.

Only a few countries dive with regularity, the rest is just isolated with specific players. And mostly people see soccer players in agony as ridiculous when it's just a way to attract the attention of the ref to a foul the same way snapping your head back when you legitimately get high sticked is.

If you keep asking yourself "How do people watch this crap?" then maybe watch this as a starter:

Hockey is really no different. It's equally perplexing, silly, crazy, and unappealing to a large swathe of people. Let go your predilections, have a few beers, and enjoy the world cup.

Ummm...m-Kay?!?! Just trying to be silly here, but...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If I were a coach, I would set up a plan in case dives or other such shenanigans like that occur:

Once that foul occurred, I would have a plan in place to tell someone to bet heavily on Brazil scoring 'x' additional goals, depending on how much time is left. In this case, I'll say 10 goals since it happened around the 65th minute.

Then, because the call was so blatantly bad, I would tell all my players to line up in the penalty box area in front of the goal. They would be booked for dissension to the point where it would be an 11-on-1 game, as only the goalie would be left.

The beauty in doing it this way is it would create two terrible negatives:

1. If Brazil doesn't somehow score 10 goals in an 11 vs 1 game, then it would also be apparent that there is some level of in-match fixing. Imagine someone putting $10,000 on Brazil scoring the next 10 goals from the 65th minute onwards. That payout would ruin several people, so they would make the calls to let a team know not to score.

2. If Brazil does what they should do and score at will, Sepp Blatter can look at the score and say, "This is not football." At which point the Croats can show the replay of the dive in the box and say, "And this is?"

Brilliance...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Then, because the call was so blatantly bad, I would tell all my players to line up in the penalty box area in front of the goal. They would be booked for dissension to the point where it would be an 11-on-1 game, as only the goalie would be left.

I think games are abandoned if teams have less than a certain number of players. Not sure exactly how many.. Six?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think games are abandoned if teams have less than a certain number of players. Not sure exactly how many.. Six?

Here's what I got...

IFAB recommends that "that a match should not continue if there are fewer than seven players in either team." Any decision regarding points awarded for abandoned games is left to the individual football associations.

So technically, it is only a recommendation and not a true rule? The same way that it would be recommended not to commit perceived dissent towards an official?

I joke, but there goes my brilliant plan of taking this crap out of the game and/or winning a ton of money for you and your team by doing so... :laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Wow...

The Dutch.

As long as they qualify for the World Cup, they have never failed to get past the group stage...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Never mind as now they just scored a quick goal to make it 2-0 and it's not even the 20 minute mark of the game.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
I'm sure you're not alone. I bet everyone espected Spain to win.

I had Holland to win the game and the group, which seems very likely now, but I'm partial since I'm part dutch.

Didn't see Mexico-Cameroun today but the other two games sure washed away the bad taste opening night left. The oranje win was epic and Chile-Australia was a very entertaining game.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
6/14/14 All times PST

Columbia vs Greece 9AM Columbia 4 Greece 0

Uruguay vs Costa Rica 12PM Uruguay 2 Costa Rica 0

England vs Italy 3PM 3-3 draw though I'd like to see Italy lose largely because of Mario Balotell and the attitude problems he has displayed in the past.

Côte d'Ivoire vs Japan 6PM Côte d'Ivoire 3 Japan 1

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'm sure you're not alone. I bet everyone espected Spain to win.
If you look back to post #32, you'll find someone else who was picking Holland :sarcasm:

Certainly didn't expect 5-1, but Father Time waits for no man, and Xavi & Iniesta have played a LOT of soccer since August 2007 ...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If you look back to post #32, you'll find someone else who was picking Holland :sarcasm:

Certainly didn't expect 5-1, but Father Time waits for no man, and Xavi & Iniesta have played a LOT of soccer since August 2007 ...

I was just wondering where that performance was 4 years ago when I had Netherlands at 15-1 to win (and damn near pulled it off)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It is a FIFA rule that 7 is the minimum number of players a team can have on the field. The game is over when it goes under 7. How they decide the outcome is beyond me but the game ends from the ref.
Here's what I got...

IFAB recommends that "that a match should not continue if there are fewer than seven players in either team." Any decision regarding points awarded for abandoned games is left to the individual football associations.

So technically, it is only a recommendation and not a true rule? The same way that it would be recommended not to commit perceived dissent towards an official?

I joke, but there goes my brilliant plan of taking this crap out of the game and/or winning a ton of money for you and your team by doing so... :laugh:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It is a FIFA rule that 7 is the minimum number of players a team can have on the field. The game is over when it goes under 7. How they decide the outcome is beyond me but the game ends from the ref.

According to the adult leagues I played in for a few years, it's at the referee's discretion what to do on the field, and then the league's discretion what to do about the result. To give two extreme examples:

1) A team has been playing 7v11 the entire match and is losing badly with 5 minutes left, and one of their players gets a second yellow to be sent off. The referee would most likely just let the last 5 minutes be played 6v11.

2) A team starts with only 7 players and just a few minutes in, one is injured and cannot continue. The referee would most likely not allow the match to continue and the league would then decide whether to award a walkover win to the opposing team or reschedule it.

In practice, one time I was actually playing a match 8v7 (the opponents having 7) and they were getting away with so much **** I think the referee was just secretly reluctant to send any of them off to have to deal with making that decision.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In local leagues you may be able to continue with less than 7 but for a FIFA sanctioned event like the World Cup it is definitely 7. Here is an bit from FIFA's Laws of the Game:

Although a match may not START if either team consists of fewer than seven
players, the minimum number of players in a team required for a match to
CONTINUE is left to the discretion of member associations. However, it is the
opinion of the International F.A. Board that a match should not continue if
there are fewer than seven players in either team.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
IFAB makes the laws of the game, not FIFA.

That excerpt doesn't include "definitive" language either, there's a difference between "the minimum number of players in a team required for a match to continue is left to the discretion of the member associations" and "if at any point a team cannot field seven players the match shall be immediately suspended" (for example).

Of course, for a team to not be able to field 7 players at a tournament like the World Cup, it would probably be because of something like major transportation issues that prevented an entire team from making it to the venue on time.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There are 6 votes required to change any Law in soccer. FIFA has 4 member votes. There are only 5 other voters. These are FIFA Laws don't kid yourself. I have reffed at a very high level here in Canada for over 20 years. When we do refresher courses we are explained each rule with FIFA's interpretation of that rule. The intent of this rule is that a game never has less than 7 players on each team. I would bet you that there has never been a serious soccer game played with either team having less than 7 players.

Here is FIFA's interpretation of Law 3:

If the rules of a competition state that all of the players and substitutes must be
named before kick-off and a team begins a match with fewer than 11 players,
only the players named in the starting line-up may complete the 11 upon their
arrival.

Although a match may not START if either team consists of fewer than seven
players, the minimum number of players in a team required for a match to
CONTINUE is left to the discretion of member associations. However, it is the
opinion of the International F.A. Board that a match should not continue if
there are fewer than seven players in either team.

If a team has fewer than seven players because one or more players has
deliberately left the field of play, the referee is not obliged to stop the match
and the advantage may be played. In such cases, the referee must not allow
the match to resume after the ball has gone out of play if a team does not
have the minimum number of seven players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad