OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Betting lines, yes they are either 5th or 6th. That's why I avoided Belgium in betting though. I think they have a lot of talent, but truthfully, they are probably not the 5th best team.

I had to look it up now and Swedish betting sites seem to consistently list Belgium fifth as well (my site has them at 19/1), ahead of France, England, Holland and Italy among others . Yeah... no. I just don't buy it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I had to look it up now and Swedish betting sites seem to consistently list Belgium fifth as well (my site has them at 19/1), ahead of France, England, Holland and Italy among others . Yeah... no. I just don't buy it.

Yeah, I don't buy it either. I think France being that high is also incorrect.

Belgium is a real interesting case, from what I recall they had a VERY easy group to qualify out of in UEFA. They also have a very marginal group to deal with in Group H (Russia could give them some trouble). Once they are past Group H is when they will be in trouble. The likely scenario is that they would play Portugal, and if they win that game, it would be followed by the winner of Group F #1 vs. Group E #2, which would likely be Argentina. Yikes.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Just a few days away now from the start of the World Cup. Hopefully there will be no vuvuzelas being played this year. God were those things so annoying back in 2010.

Here are some YouTube Clips for your enjoyment help get into the spirit of things.

Hopefully we won't see any of this stuff.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
This has to be my most revisited video from the 2010 tournament.

[HD version of the vid. That works. The youtube embed doesn't appear to work...] Some of those goals (Honda, Tshabalala, Villa, Maicon, van Bronckhorst) have been etched into my memory, probably gonna be able to play them back in my head for years to come.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

MP

Feb 8, 2008
The joke itself may be threadbare, but damned if these two don't nail it:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I keep hearing about the sewage problem in Rio de Janeiro and it's so bad there that the mayor of the city is saying the city won't have it cleaned up by the time 2016 Summer Games are going to start. Are there any other cities in Brazil that have this problem as it related to the World Cup?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27752499

Some pictures here in the article of how bad it is there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...id-reports-of-floating-carcasses-9507728.html
None of the World Cup games are currently scheduled to be played in bays, so it shouldn't be an issue :sarcasm: but many Americans would be shocked at how dirty the rest of the world is.

Trash that doesn't get picked up regularly / ever. Sewage that gets dumped straight into waterways. Packs of stray dogs. My hotel in Croatia had a beautiful view of the Adriatic Sea on one side and had abandoned buildings with visible damage from artillery strikes during the civil war 20 years prior on the other. There are burned out tanks a few miles down the road from us in Afghanistan ... Russian tanks that weren't ever cleaned up from when they were destroyed back in the 1980's.

When you're desperately, third world poor, you don't usually give a damn about anything beyond your physical safety and where you're getting your next meal, and when the government is poor / corrupt / incompetent, keeping things clean is not a priority. People will keep their own home / personal property clean, but you'd be amazed at what can just sorta sit there for years and years ...

Sad, but true.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Oh my! Hopefully despite the issues we're learning more of in Brazil, nothing bad goes wrong during the World Cup or the Summer Games in a couple of years for that matter.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
And the World Cup starts tomorrow with the only game scheduled between Brazil vs Croatia. That game will be on ESPN at 4PM EST/1PM PST.

Arena de São Paulo in Sao Paulo is where the 1st game will be held.

2063736_full-lnd.jpg

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
The joke itself may be threadbare, but damned if these two don't nail it:

Practising Klinsmann dives on a wet, muddy pitch at the end of a training session was one of the great joys of childhood. At least until you got home.

Can’t wait for Saturday now. I’m fully expecting England to go out at the group stage, but being able to watch along with family & people who don’t watch the sport any other time will always be special.

Fortunately I have no money to lose, otherwise Spain’s betting odds still being at +650 would probably be too tempting. Tough group, Chile match up well against them, tired squad, playing in a different continent etc. etc. - but they’re still so much better than any other national team.

The picture of Fabregas in a Chelsea shirt is sickening.

Lewis

May 6, 2013
Cambridge, England
Well, wouldn't have expected the first goal to be an own goal by Brazil.

I really want this game to be like Germany's opener in 2006. Cracking goals.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Brazil wasn't on their game today from the defensive side of things despite the 3-1 win. Bummer Croatia couldn't at least get a tie considering that controversial penalty call was made against them in the 2nd Half.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
Well that was pathetic. From now on I will refrain from watching Brazil and Italy so I can live with the illusion that the sport of soccer can still be saved.

Lewis

May 6, 2013
Cambridge, England
Brazil's players were going down too easily and it's something that I really hate to see (and gives the thought to people who don't watch football/soccer often the illusion that that's all that happens).

Although I really can't wait to see Spain vs Netherlands tomorrow. Will be great considering what happened at the last World Cup.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Brazil's players were going down too easily and it's something that I really hate to see (and gives the thought to people who don't watch football/soccer often the illusion that that's all that happens).

Although I really can't wait to see Spain vs Netherlands tomorrow. Will be great considering what happened at the last World Cup.

You mean when the Netherlands decided to play UFC instead of soccer in the final?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.espnfc.us/croatia/story/...-niko-kovac-calls-penalty-decision-ridiculous

Kovac called the penalty "ridiculous" and said Nishimura was not at the level to be a referee on the sport's biggest stage.

"If that was a penalty, we should be playing basketball," Kovac said. "Those kinds of fouls are penalised there.

"That is shameful, this is not a World Cup referee. He had one kind of criteria for them and another for us. The rules were not the same."

Even the home fans didn't think the incident deserved to be a penalty, according to Kovac.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Games for June 13th:

Mexico vs Cameroon 9AM PST ESPN 2
Spain vs Netherlands 12PM PST ESPN
Chile vs Australia 3PM PST ESPN 2

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Games for June 13th:

Mexico vs Cameroon 9AM PST ESPN 2
Spain vs Netherlands 12PM PST ESPN
Chile vs Australia 3PM PST ESPN 2

Score predictions?

Mexico 1
Cameroon 0

Spain 1
Netherlands 1

Chile 3
Australia 0

FWIW, someone at a restaurant on Mill can confirm that I called a 3-1 Brazil win today :laugh:
Horrible call by the ref - makes me hate soccer that much more - honestly, the only time I really pay attention is during the WC and WC qualifying...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Score predictions?

Mexico 1
Cameroon 0

Spain 1
Netherlands 1

Chile 3
Australia 0

FWIW, someone at a restaurant on Mill can confirm that I called a 3-1 Brazil win today :laugh:
Horrible call by the ref - makes me hate soccer that much more - honestly, the only time I really pay attention is during the WC and WC qualifying...

Is this restaurant 1 of the official World Cup viewing party places in the Valley?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is no way Brazil doesn't get some more home cookin' after spending so much money on the world cup. Funny thing is, they don't need it like South Korea did.

Although you wouldn't know it from the high school start they had in the first half.

The Croatian player that missed a very doable header that would've made it 2-0 is probably kicking himself right now.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's all rigged anyway, from the scores to the venues - big baksheesh. Qatar in the summer? How much bribery did it take for FIFA to force the European Football leagues break up their season for a World Cup in the winter. Its like pro wrestling but on a world scale. The only difference is, we acknowledge the fixing that goes on in pro wrestling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad