GWT: World Cup - Group E (Spain and Japan Advance)

Who Advances?

• Germany

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 59 95.2%
  • Japan

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Costa Rica

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
One, xG is not goals scored. Nor is it xG allowed. It has so little to do with goalkeeping that is pretty obvious you're pushing an agenda. Two, they accumulated more than 60% of these (enough to be 2nd on the list) from just one game, which they won.

Did you have a problem with the actual goals allowed against Japan and Spain? That might be a better place to start.

In the case of the goals against Japan, absolutely. They were awful goals to give up, and considering that's the game being the main reason they're out, it's noteworthy.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In the case of the goals against Japan, absolutely. They were awful goals to give up, and considering that's the game being the main reason they're out, it's noteworthy.
Neuer played small on the second goal but Sule blew the offside trap and Schlotterbeck got outmuscled and beat. Plenty of blame to go around on that one.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Neuer played small on the second goal but Sule blew the offside trap and Schlotterbeck got outmuscled and beat. Plenty of blame to go around on that one.

I guess that's fair, but when the keeper stays in his net on that second goal, doesn't come out to close an angle that's a very bad shot for Japan and lets it in anyway...it is very easy to assign blame to him. The first goal he pushes back in front of the goal is another issue. But mainly when you know the backup wouldn't do that? It seems like a really big deal.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Which is fine to argue. I didn't see the game. I just don't see the relevance between xG and their goaltender given what I pointed out. It takes away from the legitimacy of the argument to try to correlate them - especially when the discrepancy between xG and goals actually does show either poor finishing or hot opposing goaltenders. (ie bad luck)

The difference between xG and goals was greater in the Japan game than xGA and goals against, by 3x.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Which is fine to argue. I didn't see the game. I just don't see the relevance between xG and their goaltender given what I pointed out. It takes away from the legitimacy of the argument to try to correlate them.

Well if the argument is "older players are the reason they're out" or the inverse "their squad is too young" I'm saying that only one of the older players sticks out as that reason.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Great. Don't try use xG over 3 games as an argument that the goalie sucked without context. In this case the context really support it.

Sorry, I make the assumption that people actually watch the things they comment on and sometimes I do not post context cause of that assumption.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Sorry, I make the assumption that people actually watch the things they comment on and sometimes I do not post context cause of that assumption.
What are you talking about? My initial post was a reply to someone else. You then replied to that. It seems like you're assuming I know the context of a previous discussion/argument I was not part of.

member 305909

Is it good or bad for Germany now preparing for the euros that as hosts they won't have to qualify? No competitive matches for a long time.

That NL-bollocks can't be taken seriously.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@cgf i meannnnnn

That's what we get for not starting Mouki :dunno:

If we got into half time against Japan up by 3 and beat Spain, then today wouldn't have mattered and both of those results were on our foot...pull off either one and today would've been enough...we just couldn't get the job done and didn't leave it in our own hands. Switched off against Japan and couldn't capitalize enough against Spain.

Thankful Müller's done and we can move forward without having to find a way to force him into the lineup, at the same time Wirtz will be back in the mix. With Mouki, Musiala, Wirtz, Sane, and Kai hopefully leaving Chelsea we shouldn't have any trouble creating chances any time soon :yo:

...now we just MAtS to take over while Schlotterbeck & Bella Kotchap go full Hummels-Boateng...

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's what we get for not starting Mouki :dunno:

If we got into half time against Japan up by 3 and beat Spain, then today wouldn't have mattered and both of those results were on our foot...we just couldn't get the job done. Switched off against Japan and couldn't capitalize enough against Spain.

Thankful Müller's done and we can move forward without having to find a way to force him into the lineup :yo:
If and buts were .... many of the things that were questioned about Germany turned out to be true. Hopefully for you lot Nuer can retire in grace now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Shows how much having a washed up goalkeeper absolutely ruined them.

As someone who bitched a lot about Neuer not retiring after the Euros, I can't get fully behind this. In the NL games this summer he was vintage Neuer in his own box...he no longer had the quickness outside of it, but he was still a top class keeper.

The problem was him rushing back from injury...and the chances we gave being very high level ones.

...that and us underscoring our xG. If we take our chances against japan or spain, then we're through even with Neuer being "washed up" so while I'd like to say we played well enough to go a lot deeper, we didn't capitalize and that's a big part of the game too.

If and buts were .... many of the things that were questioned about Germany turned out to be true. Hopefully for you lot Nuer can retire in grace now.

I said it was our own fault...but the chances were there, the goals just didn't come like they needed to, and Mouki will fix that soon enough; especially if Musiala & Wirtz are both fit next time :yo:

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is it good or bad for Germany now preparing for the euros that as hosts they won't have to qualify? No competitive matches for a long time.

That NL-bollocks can't be taken seriously.

Depends on how flick uses them. If that time is devoted to blooding in the new generation more than he would've been able to get away with in competitive matches...as established players are much happier to sit out friendlies than qualifiers...it could be a massive boon.

You can point to our defense but if we had scored 10 real goals instead of 10 expected goals, we'd be through. So if those friendlies let us integrate Moukoko in time for the euros, it could be huge for us...ditto if it lets Schlotterbeck & Bella Kotchap gets settled in on defense.

Talks about how Nuer is done gets a rebuttal on how great Mokookokok is.... can he play goal?

Winning 4-2 is better than winning 2-0 and Neuer gave us a chance to win the first and final games 4-2:dunno:

ter Stegen will be an upgrade, but it was our goalscoring that failed us more than our goalkeeping this time around.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You gave up 5 goals only Qatar, Canada, Iran, Wales and CR gave up more....

We can go back and forth all night long. Our competitive advantage is in attack and Musiala scoring that goal against spain would've left us facing Morocco in the round of 16, the same way that Neuer saving Morata's goal would have :dunno:

Either way, both Müller and Neuer should be gone now, and with Mouki & MAts, we've got upgrades waiting in the wings...especially if Kai can save himself from Chelsea...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We can go back and forth all night long. Our competitive advantage is in attack and Musiala scoring that goal against spain would've left us facing Morocco in the round of 16, the same way that Neuer saving Morata's goal would have :dunno:
Like I said if and buts. Nuer gave up bad goals and wasn't good. The death blow was against Japan not Spain. Germany with that talent should be losing to Japan who dont have a single player that can crack the German line up. You have to ask why did they lose?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Like I said if and buts. Nuer gave up bad goals and wasn't good. The death blow was against Japan not Spain. Germany with that talent should be losing to Japan who dont have a single player that can crack the German line up. You have to ask why did they lose?
It's if's and but's either way. You're saying if Neuer hadn't conceded two goals against Japan we'd be through. I'm saying that if we scored two more goals against Japan we'd be through.

Both comments are true and both should've happened; Neuer should've saved Japan's 1st goal and we should've scored on Gnabry & Gundogan's first-half chances, but we failed to achieve either.

Luckily both should be addressed moving forward...at least until MAtS slows down too, if you lot haven't ruined him :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's if's and but's either way. You're saying if Neuer hadn't conceded two goals against Japan we'd be through. I'm saying that if we scored two more goals against Japan we'd be through.

Both comments are true and both should've happened; Neuer should've saved Japan's 1st goal and we should've scored on Gnabry & Gundogan's first-half chances, but we failed to achieve either.

Luckily both should be addressed moving forward...at least until MAtS slows down too, if you lot haven't ruined him :sarcasm:
Even if they scored more against Japan playing Neuer's ghost was gonna cost you at some point when you face tougher opposition. He simply is rinsed and its time to go.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Even if they scored more against Japan playing Neuer's ghost was gonna cost you at some point when you face tougher opposition. He simply is rinsed and its time to go.

True. But the same would've been true of our wastefulness even if we had held on against japan.

We failed because we conceded too much and because we didn't score enough, so we need to fix both :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad