GWT: World Cup - Group E (Spain and Japan Advance)

Who Advances?

• Germany

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 59 95.2%
  • Japan

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Costa Rica

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Rüdiger is a joker. Always good for a crucial error. Didn't he claim in an interview before the World Cup that he sometimes intentionally makes a mistake to wake up the fans?

There's definitely a minimum of a gaffe a match from him.

Still manages to be Germany's best defender.

5daa028e7721ae5d74817a68_dqLNOFNwqI5qonP2gsu1hsZC3zS4fwTtYuHidjGxrbFHesRCUqI6jmPjhTUqVX-OUL60EjwGQIO-V-qSo29hnCDrMn1yDjYkGg5Mgh1av4NzJWSCeSHwVD0NQERjmJ7E1T5yXymM.gif

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I guess I'm just not that disappointed by our play at this tourney so much as I am disappointed in our final balls/finishing. I don't disagree that our play can get very narrow & sloppy, but it also would've worked for us perfectly fine if only Gnabry or Gundogan had played the ball across goal instead of shooting against Japan.

...despite having to force Müller & Neuer into the lineup; while Wirtz missed the tourney and the likes of Moukoko, Adeyemi, and Bella Kotchap didn't play prominent roles as we're still in this transitional phase.

We had a clear down period in our youth development after the 96ers, and that, more than our style of play has been the issue for us since 2016, we just haven't had as much talent as we did...plus the oldies clinging on instead of passing the reins when their time had come.

I'm still very excited for the euros, despite this tourney not going as well as I would've liked it to have. I picture a roster like this with another 18-42 months of development, playing the exact same style we did at this tourney, and can't imagine how any team would've held us to just 1 goal.

Moukoko
Sane - Musiala - Wirtz - Havertz
Kimmich
Raum - Süle - Rüdiger - Klostermann
ter Stegen

Werner/Nmecha
Adeyemi/Schade - Burkardt/Wanner - Gnabry/Ibrahimovic
Goretzka - Stach/Janelt
Netz - Schlotterbeck - Bella Kotchap - Baku/Knauff
Ortega
Don't forget Füllkrug. If he continues to perform well into 2024, he should be an option on offense. He was one of the very few bright spots in the DFB team. But I'm not excited! Germany has played too badly in the last 3 tournaments for that. Listless, powerless and without the will to suffer. Germany has lost a lot of mentality.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't forget Gündogan. IMO he and Rüdiger were our best players. Musiala still has a lot to learn, but if things go well he will be a star one day (developped in England btw.).

I'm conflicted on Ilkay because he also gave away the ball cheaply too often and had that golden chance against Japan that would've sent us through had he not been so selfish.
There's definitely a minimum of a gaffe a match from him.

Still manages to be Germany's best defender.

5daa028e7721ae5d74817a68_dqLNOFNwqI5qonP2gsu1hsZC3zS4fwTtYuHidjGxrbFHesRCUqI6jmPjhTUqVX-OUL60EjwGQIO-V-qSo29hnCDrMn1yDjYkGg5Mgh1av4NzJWSCeSHwVD0NQERjmJ7E1T5yXymM.gif

Stop it. If Rüdiger is forgiven his gaffe a match, then Süle should get the same benefit…in which case he was clearly better.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't forget Füllkrug. If he continues to perform well into 2024, he should be an option on offense. He was one of the very few bright spots in the DFB team. But I'm not excited! Germany has played too badly in the last 3 tournaments for that. Listless, powerless and without the will to suffer. Germany has lost a lot of mentality.

True, I’m just not really expecting him too. But if he does then Nmecha’s spot can certainly be had.

I don’t think mentality cost us this time or stale attacking play.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
True, I’m just not really expecting him too. But if he does then Nmecha’s spot can certainly be had.

I don’t think mentality cost us this time or stale attacking play.
Although Füllkrug scored 2 World Cup goals + assist (most scorer points)? In addition, I found the German game to be characterized by fear and little power over long stretches. It even looked rather listless. It's been like this for 3 tournaments. They didn't play with the necessary energy after the 1-0 win against Costa Rica. This team lacks everything. Character, mentality, class. Totally overrated team.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sorry, you're only allowed to hype German players 27 or younger. In 2024 Füllkrug will be 31 and basically in Depends, or something...

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Sorry, you're only allowed to hype German players 27 or younger. In 2024 Füllkrug will be 31 and basically in Depends, or something...
Oh, was that the original topic? Or do you mean that ironically? Because at 31 you can still be at a very good level. Especially if you still have the right character.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Lol stop it. I wanted us to start Kruse at the last euros, and was mad that BMG couldn't sign Füllkrug all of those years ago. I like the player and have no qualms relying on vets, especially since Füllkrug would represent new blood even though he's no longer young.

It's much more to do with this year being a massive outlier for his career. If it turns out to be his new norm then that changes things, and it certainly could...as he has always had talent, but injuries & form have prevented him from channeling that talent the way he has this season...so we need to see that happen first.

I mean, prior to this season, Füllkrug's peak 1st league performance was 14 goals in 34 games...which Nmecha is on pace for this year :dunno:

The only thing I could see is that Ortega is a club level back up.

Ultimately not too important who the backup keeper is as long as ter Stegen takes over for Neuer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad