GWT: World Cup - Group E (Spain and Japan Advance)

Who Advances?

• Germany

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 59 95.2%
  • Japan

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Costa Rica

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
While Group B may technically be the Group of Death, it would be hard to argue against Group E. Featuring two recent World Cup winners in Germany (2014) and Spain (2010), as well as a strong Japanese side and a Costa Rican side capable of springing an upset, this group offers a ton of great games and intrigue. Germany brings a side that has some experience but also loads of young talent, including the youngest player at the World Cup, Youssoufa Moukoko, who turns 18 the day of the opening kickoff. Spain, too, turns out a young side, with six players 21 or younger. Japan has a strong side that plays well together, while Costa Rica will likely look to defend and counter. A fun side note here is that Germany's Thomas Muller is 6 goals from tying a World Cup record.

Key Players: Keylor Navas (Costa Rica), Joel Campbell (Costa Rica), Joshua Kimmich (Germany), Jamal Musiala (Germany), Maya Yoshida (Japan), Takehiro Tomiyasu (Japan), Rodri (Spain), Pedri (Spain)

HomeAwayTime and Date (CST)Venue
GermanyJapanWed., Nov. 23, 7:00 AMKhalifa International Stadium
SpainCosta RicaWed., Nov. 23, 10:00 AMAl Thumama Stadium
JapanCosta RicaSun., Nov. 27, 4:00 AMAhmad Bin Ali Stadium
SpainGermanySun., Nov. 27, 1:00 PMAl Bayt Stadium
Costa RicaGermanyThurs., Dec. 1, 1:00 PMAl Bayt Stadium
JapanSpainThurs., Dec. 1, 1:00 PMKhalifa International Stadium

Last edited:

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Spain and Japan. Don´t like this German team at all and the defense is a mess, I could see Japan with the upset in the 1st game which could be the decison factor

Reactions: gary69

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Spain and Japan. Don´t like this German team at all and the defense is a mess, I could see Japan with the upset in the 1st game which could be the decison factor
I understand. The South Corea trauma of 2018. I don't trust our defence, too. Bt I'm still optimistic

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gnabry isn't a lock to start. Hofmann has often gotten the nod from Flick instead. Musiala has been our second most crucial player over the past 6-12 months.

After the way this team has played in qualifiers, I'm very excited for this tourney. The friendly results have been less inspiring...I'm including the NL results since the players called those friendly matches in interviews...but the way they played in competitive matches was very exciting.

We lack depth in some spots, but if Kimmich stays fit and we show up for the games that matter, this team can play some great football.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesfan94

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Germany might be worse than I thought. From the looks of it they dont have a goa threat, defense still sucks and their keeper is a fossil.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I kind of like Japan to get out of the group here, but they will need to beat Germany in game one to do so. It’ll be Spain and who ever wins that game

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Spain a bit overrated in here I guess. Their defense is even worse than ours and other than that they don't actually have a good squad. I really could see Japan upset one of Germany and Spain and I have faith it won't be us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Who on their current team fits that bill? Otamendi? ADM? both are excellent for the NT right now.
So your performing oldies are "excellent" and ours is a fossil, got it ;-)

Spain a bit overrated in here I guess. Their defense is even worse than ours and other than that they don't actually have a good squad. I really could see Japan upset one of Germany and Spain and I have faith it won't be us.

Shhh. It's cute that they think spain is stronger than us.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So your performing oldies are "excellent" and ours is a fossil, got it ;-)
I mean just because one old guy is playing well doesnt mean all of them are. Otamendi's speak for themselves since Scaloni's arrival. ADM is eternal just ask Brasil or Italy. Popped 2 goals and set one up yesterday. When healthy no one should worry about him

As for Nuer someone who you keep saying shouldnt be starting he simply hasnt been good the last 2 tournaments. Why should anyone expect this time to be different?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean just because one old guy is playing well doesnt mean all of them are. Otamendi's speak for themselves since Scaloni's arrival. ADM is eternal just ask Brasil or Italy. Popped 2 goals and set one up yesterday. When healthy no one should worry about him

As for Nuer someone who you keep saying shouldnt be starting he simply hasnt been good the last 2 tournaments. Why should anyone expect this time to be different?

I've wanted Manu to step aside because we have a world class keeper in his prime who would even better, but Neuer just played one of his best games in a NT shirt since 2014 this summer. So it's funny that you're giving Messi & co. credit for still being good despite being ancient, but calling Neuer a fossil.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I've wanted Manu to step aside because we have a world class keeper in his prime who would even better, but Neuer just played one of his best games in a NT shirt since 2014 this summer. So it's funny that you're giving Messi & co. credit for still being good despite being ancient, but calling Neuer a fossil.
I think its fairly obvious why that is... Im not shitting on Nuer for being old many old players still got it Benz for example or Lewa.

The Argentinian contingent have been performing. While Nuer hasnt been good in fact he's been terrible last 2 tournaments. What game was he good...?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think its fairly obvious why that is... Im not shitting on Nuer for being old many old players still got it Benz for example or Lewa.

The Argentinian contingent have been performing. While Nuer hasnt been good in fact he's been terrible last 2 tournaments. What game was he good...?

I don't even know how to responded to the bolded. It's not at all true, but you seem to be doubling down on it even though Neuer's about as washed up as Messi :-/

He was good in all of the NL games, but in one of them he was dominating like he did in the 2014 final. Don't remember for sure, but I think it was the 1-1 with England...might've been the Hungary game though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't even know how to responded to the bolded. It's not at all true, but you seem to be doubling down on it :-/

He was good in all of the NL games, but in one of them he was dominating like he did in the 2014 final. Don't remember for sure, but I think it was the 1-1 with England...might've been the Hungary game though.
WTF is the NL? lol

I was referring to WC and Euros

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I said that this summer he had played as well as he had since 2014 and you asked in which game...

I know you're new to footballl, but neither the euros nor the last WM were this summer ;-)
I know you cant read but I said he was poor in the last 2 tournaments... you said its not true (im talking about Euros and WC) doesnt matter when they played he was awful in both.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know you cant read but I said he was poor in the last 2 tournaments... you said its not true (im talking about Euros and WC) doesnt matter when they played he was awful in both.

Jesus man, I'm used to you not being able to follow what other people write, but now you're struggling to even keep track of the silly nonsense that you yourself said. Is everything ok?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Came to here to post about Balde getting the nod and going back to my post in the Transfers thread about him possibly stepping out further if he gets the minutes and I get to read this.

So, quoted for the record that Spain don’t have a good squad. Then again this is coming from someone who doesn’t rate Pedri, Gavi, Antonio Silva and I forget who else.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad