GWT: World Cup - Group E (Spain and Japan Advance)

Who Advances?

• Germany

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 59 95.2%
  • Japan

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Costa Rica

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So it's Japan/Croatia and Spain/Morocco? Japan gets the short end of that stick.
I don’t agree. I think Japan can beat Croatia. They run too much for them and they just beat Spain and Germany. Both Spain and Japan can win.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I had low hopes for Germany going into this tournament including my poll voting so I’m disappointed but not surprised.

The old guys that played were well past their prime (Muller, Neuer, etc.) and that defensive corps isn’t going to win any tournaments.

I don’t think Werner would have made much of a difference.

Agreed, Werner the definition of inconsistency. The backend is still the soft underbelly, regardless of some poor finishing. Flick has some work to do to get to finishing stages of the rebuild for next Euro Cup

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Germany could have scored 7 but keeping a clean sheet. Ehh..

Defensively this German team might be among the worst in the World Cup.
TBH I don't think their defense was the problem this match. Their goalie was. And it's been known he's over the hill.

Really, this group came down to whether the ball was over the lane for Japan's second goal.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Germany pulled this shit out bc they knew revenge was coming, right, @cgf?

eduardo-sterblitch.gif

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Japan can beat Croatia, but I know I'd rather play Morocco.
Maybe? In a vacuum yes, but I see these teams that can’t run are STRUGGLING this tournament. Japan runs with the best of them.

After watching the pace in that Croatia vs Belgium game earlier…Japan operates at a much higher octane than that

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Agreed, Werner the definition of inconsistency. The backend is still the soft underbelly, regardless of some poor finishing. Flick has some work to do to get to finishing stages of the rebuild for next Euro Cup
There's no "rebuild" to be finished. Germany will not play a meaningful role at any major tournament until it can figure out the back 6 and how to manufacture goals..and honestly probably needs new players and a new coaching staff to do so.

TBH I don't think their defense was the problem this match. Their goalie was. And it's been known he's over the hill.

Really, this group came down to whether the ball was over the lane for Japan's second goal.
Neuer looks like shit, sure, and is clearly over the hill (and it's hilarious how blind everyone in the German camp is to it) but Rüdiger, Raum and Süle had plenty of "oof" moments.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Pretty terrible for Germany to go out already.

That’s what they do. Fail at major tournaments.

Can’t wait for their supposed “rebuild” to get quickly eliminated at the next Euros. They’re so overrated.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kudos to Japan, really didn't think they'd pull it off and still a little shocked Spain couldn't at least give us a draw to work with.

Frustrating way to go out, but it's our own fault for not capitalizing enough or closing our the match against Japan. Luckily Müller's now done and I won't be disappointed if Neuer follows him now that he has the record.

Most disappointed that Musiala couldn't at least get his first WM goal, kid's so much fun to watch.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That ball over the line reeks of that Lightning/Flames goal that wasn’t for the opposite reason, incidentally.

Japan seems to deserve the spot at any rate.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Spain did the math, great job.
Not really. If the Germans didn’t come back and had vista Roxa beaten them, Spain would’ve been eliminated along with the Germans. The German comeback today only served to push Spain through.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Spain did the math, great job.
Germany's misfortune was that Spain didn't score in the 10-15 minutes that they were genuinely scared of going out. Once Germany went up 3-2, Spain didn't have any incentive to take any risks. In some ways the German 3rd goal with the score being 2-1 Japan could have been the death knell for German hopes.

Reactions: cgf

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Not really. If the Germans didn’t come back and had vista Roxa beaten them, Spain would’ve been eliminated along with the Germans. The German comeback today only served to push Spain through.

All the compliments in the world to Japan, but Spain never lose with 83% possession. Germany was bound to win in any case. If you have the opportunity to throw out a favorite and direct opponent, you behave exactly as Spain did.

Germany's misfortune was that Spain didn't score in the 10-15 minutes that they were genuinely scared of going out. Once Germany went up 3-2, Spain didn't have any incentive to take any risks. In some ways the German 3rd goal with the score being 2-1 Japan could have been the death knell for German hopes.

Spain was always in the driver seat, I wrote hours before the match that Spain would've have pick Morocco over Croatia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad