GWT: World Cup - Group B (England and USA Advance)

Who Advances?

• England

Votes: 95 97.9%
  • United States

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Wales

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Iran

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Oh come on man, Iran/Wales and Australia/Tunisia isn’t a gap in quality of opponents at all.
To put it in perspective, Iran topped its AFC qualifying group, going 8-1-1 (25 points), ahead of South Korea and UAE. Australia finished 3rd in its group, going 4-3-3 (15 points), behind KSA and Japan. Iran made it to the last semi-finals of the Asian Cup, Australia didn't. It's pretty clear that Iran is the better team. So then it comes down to Wales v. Tunisia.
It’s clear that (in Hindsight now obviously) Denmark was in a harder group too.
This is such crap. You're deciding group difficulty based on who goes through, not based on quality of team. Perhaps what Denmark did in the last Euros isn't indicative either, especially when they had an emotional wave buoying them and they had a pretty gilded path.
Tunisia just beat France, and Australia beat Tunisia; and Denmark who would be favored against USA. I think collectively Group D was slept on a bit
France's B team, playing for nothing, on a terrible VAR call. Tunisia beat France; France stomped Australia; Australia beat Tunisia. Doesn't really work that way.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To put it in perspective, Iran topped its AFC qualifying group, going 8-1-1 (25 points), ahead of South Korea and UAE. Australia finished 3rd in its group, going 4-3-3 (15 points), behind KSA and Japan. Iran made it to the last semi-finals of the Asian Cup, Australia didn't. It's pretty clear that Iran is the better team.

This is such crap. You're deciding group difficulty based on who goes through, not based on quality of team. Perhaps what Denmark did in the last Euros isn't indicative either, especially when they had an emotional wave buoying them and they had a pretty gilded path.

France's B team, playing for nothing, on a terrible VAR call. Tunisia beat France; France stomped Australia; Australia beat Tunisia. Doesn't really work that way.
France B team is still better on paper than Tunisia.

why did Ben White get sent home early ?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

What's your point, then? Other than ignoring everything else?

Probably for saying stupid shit to Gareth Southgate like Denmark would stomp the US and Tunisia/Australia is better than Wales/Iran.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What's your point, then? Other than ignoring everything else?

Probably for saying stupid shit to Gareth Southgate like Denmark would stomp the US and Tunisia/Australia is better than Wales/Iran.
All your points are bad and don’t deserve a response

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Got it. Australia is better than Iran because Savant says so. Basically all your arguments every come down to. Flailing and stubbornness.
Australia is in R16. Iran is not in R16. Also, I am watching the games and calling like I see it. Because watching the games is probably the best way to evaluate

also all your points are contradictory cherry picking, I’m not wasting any more energy on it. You talked about FIFA rankings and then mentioned Belgium in the same breath earlier In the week. you are saying now that qualifiers matter when earlier in the week discussing Canada you said they didn’t. You are being just as arbitrary as anyone else you are just trying to dress up that you aren’t and I’m not giving it any more attention. It’s bologna.

if you don’t like my opinions you don’t have to reply, but don’t be chickenshit and try to talk around me either if you are trying to talk trash

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Australia is in R16. Iran is not in R16.
Clearly Group B was the harder group, right? Anyway, I assume you'll now admit USA is better than Denmark, using that same logic?
also all your points are contradictory cherry picking, I’m not wasting any more energy on it.
Irony is dead.
if you don’t like my opinions you don’t have to reply, but don’t be chickenshit and try to talk around me either if you are trying to talk trash
I've never talked around you once. What I have done is use your exact talking points and then apply them to other situations where you say the opposite. For example, see the first line here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

To put the France game in perspective, Tunisia beat a France team that has never played together in a match, not even once. A B team is all your good depth just thrown together and anyone can lose those games. It's ok to admit you were dead ass wrong sometimes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To put the France game in perspective, Tunisia beat a France team that has never played together in a match, not even once. A B team is all your good depth just thrown together and anyone can lose those games. It's ok to admit you were dead ass wrong sometimes.
What would you like me to admit that I am wrong about?

Yes, any team can beat any team in any sport in any time. I’m not having that anyone expected Tunisia to beat France’s B Team. France’s B Team would still be a favorite to get out of group stages in most groups. Tunisia is a bit like African Switzerland. They always are underrated, no one rates them but they find a way to get thru African qualifying. I think it’s completely fair that they were underrated a bit and they are a good collective group. Denmark certainly underachieving here, but they’ve accomplished more than most in the last two years; they are still a talented squad. Australia beat both, so again maybe they were underrated as a group. Wales is terrible and we’re overrated because they are European. Iran…I wouldn’t say they looked better than Tunisia, Denmark or Australia. I don’t see what the issue is. I can say Denmark May not “stomp” USA, sure. But they would still be betting favorites against USA if they were matched up.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It was France's C team (given our injuries) and with 3 starters playing a position they don't know.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yes, any team can beat any team in any sport in any time. I’m not having that anyone expected Tunisia to beat France’s B Team. France’s B Team would still be a favorite to get out of group stages in most groups. Tunisia is a bit like African Switzerland. They always are underrated, no one rates them but they find a way to get thru African qualifying. I think it’s completely fair that they were underrated a bit and they are a good collective group. Denmark certainly underachieving here, but they’ve accomplished more than most in the last two years; they are still a talented squad. Australia beat both, so again maybe they were underrated as a group. Wales is terrible and we’re overrated because they are European. Iran…I wouldn’t say they looked better than Tunisia, Denmark or Australia. I don’t see what the issue is. I can say Denmark May not “stomp” USA, sure. But they would still be betting favorites against USA if they were matched up.
100%. Everyone in this argument has changed what matters and what doesn't based on results as they come in on the ticker. When citing Denmark's run in the Euros, it doesn't matter in reference to this comp, but if you want to pump Iran over Australia citing Asian qualifiers is valid.

I don't think there's any question that Denmark shit the bed horribly in this WC. And I also feel completely comfortable calling them a better team than the US. So it goes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
100%. Everyone in this argument has changed what matters and what doesn't based on results as they come in on the ticker. When citing Denmark's run in the Euros, it doesn't matter in reference to this comp, but if you want to pump Iran over Australia citing Asian qualifiers is valid.

I don't think there's any question that Denmark shit the bed horribly in this WC. And I also feel completely comfortable calling them a better team than the US. So it goes.
For sure I’m just saying if you want to say that if you want to use Iran over Australia in qualifiers to say Iran is better than Australia (which is fine) you can’t be dismissive of Canada being better than USA with the same criteria; which also occurred.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
To be fair, I only cited qualifiers because I knew they had been cited before with respect to Canada. If we're touting Denmark's semi-final run, the equivalent would be Iran making the Asian Cup semi-final (while Australia went out earlier).

As for the CONCACAF qualifiers, I don't think the concept that CONCACAF teams give their all against the US and not as much against Canada, both for underlying political reasons and because the US is a more dominant team traditionally. I would expect teams to start playing harder/dirtier/more CONCACAFy against Canada in qualifiers for 2030

• Haha
Reactions: Savant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad