GWT: World Cup Final - Argentina v. France

Who will be the 2022 World Cup Champion?

• Total voters

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Macron looked like he was about to cry which to see in any politician is always satisfying. Wherever they are around the world they are generally the worst sort of people.

Meanwhile the BBC produced this wonderful montage. Enjoy it while you can. Association football is the greatest sport on Earth still. The way it unites, the sheer drama unwritten before the ball is kicked and all the gamut of emotions.

The beautiful game (still just about).​

Well done video even though its the BBC

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A couple of things I forgot to mention from yesterday:

—Initially everyone was celebrating and on the ground and/or crying, etc. Very quickly though Messi was walking around the pitch and waving to the Argentina supporters with a massive smile on his face. I didn’t see him the entire time, but I didn’t see him crying once. Anyway, I just thought it was cool that while his teammates were still celebrating he was appreciating the supporters.
—Somebody else mentioned it somewhere today, and my apologies for not remembering who or being arsed to find it, but the whole business of Messi getting the trophy and then getting to his teammates was ridiculous from Infantino not giving him the trophy to having to wear whatever was put on him.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Ronaldo's entire career was pretty much solely dedicated to self-aggrandizement. He's a hard worker, sure, but he's pretty much the poster child for the stat sheet player phenomenon. It's pretty obvious that the dude would rather score 30 goals and finish 2nd than score 8 and finish 1st. That's why he's a poor role model for young kids playing football.
In the epic basketball movie "White Man Can't Jump", Billy Hoyle kept telling Sidney Deane that Sidney was "the type of player that would rather look good and lose, rather than look bad and win".

Cristiano Ronaldo gives me the same vibes.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lost in everything was Scaloni's masterstroke to play di Maria on the left instead of on the right. Everyone expected him to go against Theo, but after his masterclass against Morocco Scaloni probably saw his perceived defensive deficiencies are overrated and chose to play di Maria against Kounde which was the best thing he could have done, because the right back Molina is also a very offensive player so between him and di Maria there wouldn't be enough defensive support on that side,. Scaloni wasn't perfect, arguably his substitutes (or lack of) helped France climb back into it, but that move to put di Maria against Kounde was genius.

Reactions: maclean

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Happy for you man, new avy is looking iconic!
Thanks bro. Honestly it was hard picking one. I wanted to get all of the players in or at least Kun carrying Messi in that pic. But just fell in love with this one. SUch a great photo that will live for generations

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's totally fallen by the wayside and not come up here, but Coman and Tchouameni have been getting racist abuse online for the penalty shootout.
And Harry Kane was coddled after he missed compared to Saka, Rashford and Sancho.

Don’t have to wonder why

Reactions: blkhawk

member 305909

Perhaps we can have an African or even an Asian team winning the WC.

There's never going to be the best team of the world outside of Europe/South America but thankfully you don't need to be the best to win the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad