GWT: World Cup Final - Argentina v. France

Who will be the 2022 World Cup Champion?

• Total voters

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Picked Argentina before the tournament. No reason to change now, but no disrespect to France.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My dream final. Totally in for France, but will not be crushed if Messi wins it.
France hasn't been scored on in the KO stage except for pens (shot 4 pens and got scored on twice).
Lloris is back to 2018 Lloris, the CBs have been great whoever starts, Kounde has been very solid after a bad group stage, Tchou has been excellent, Rabiot amazing in his two games, Griez out of this world. The front 3 has been on and off, but tonight, Mbappe creates the two goals.

Reactions: robertmac43

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I think the French squad is deeper.

Also, the loss of star players for France due to injury has led to less ego and more harmony in the locker room and on the pitch.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also I voted a France/Argentina final in Opta tournament before the WC started.
Obviously didn't have Morocco in the semis (and I had Argentina beating Brazil on the other side of the draw).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If France wins this WC, I can bet right now FIFA will once again find a way to give the MVP to the losing opponent.
Even with Kylian as best scorer, even with Griezmann walking on water or Varane and Lloris playing as brick walls.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Argentina! They have the players to crack the French defense. They also have a home advantage (more fans in the stadium) and particularly radiate this team spirit. I think it will even be a clear victory for the Albiceleste vs Les Bleus

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
If France wins this WC, I can bet right now FIFA will once again find a way to give the MVP to the losing opponent.
Even with Kylian as best scorer, even with Griezmann walking on water or Varane and Lloris playing as brick walls.

I could see it happen yeah. I think Qatar will want some sort of lasting connection to Messi. Either by him winning the WC, and if not by giving him the MVP.

As for the game, France obviously is the favourite however it's very close. Argentina are way better than 4 years ago, and France aren't as good as then IMO, and that was a 1 goal game. So I'm optimistic about Argies chances.

Reactions: Gecklund

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
King Litmanen hinted that Argentina will win in the finnish studio, and im not going to disagree with the king. Messi deserves the crown for his goat career, im not the biggest fan of either of the teams but im going to root for Argentina on this one.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I could see it happen yeah. I think Qatar will want some sort of lasting connection to Messi. Either by him winning the WC, and if not by giving him the MVP.

As for the game, France obviously is the favourite however it's very close. Argentina are way better than 4 years ago, and France aren't as good as then IMO, and that was a 1 goal game. So I'm optimistic about Argies chances.
It will be tight. Would be very surprised if either team wins easily.
I still have France. IMO, only England had the players to beat them.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have no connection to either team but I find France painfully boring to watch and for the purposes of history it would be interesting to see Messi win the World Cup. So, hoping Argentina wins. Expecting France to win, perhaps 60-40 odds.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
It will ofc be painted as Messi v Mbappe as it should be, the goat vs. the 2nd best forward in the world atm. But it's going to be Griezmann v. De Paul as well. Griezmann has the most crosses and passes into the box in the tournament, and De Paul is a monster in pressing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean this is an interesting take considering you're on record saying its just Messi thats why Argentina is here...

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Mbappe is behind Messi, yeah?

To be clear, I mean in Golden Boot, I know they're level on goals.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I actually think it's good that Argentina "shit the bed" to start the tournament, they had the wakeup call early, and were reminded that you can't just cruise into victory against anyone.

Fun fact: Argentina's goalie has 5 saves in the whole tournament, is he ready? Because he needs to double his save count to win the cup come sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad