OT: World Cup 2022

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Bad mistake from Borjan on the 1st goal, didn't see the 2nd. Canada look like the emotion has gone out of them after being eliminated.

Morocco are actually not a bad team, they have some good players at top clubs in Europe. You'd have hoped that Canada would've had a shot at a draw here though but we're seeing the gap in talent between established international programs and a growing one in Canada.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Yes, Borjan made a huge error on the first one, aided by a weak pass back to him by Vitorio (don't know how to spell his name) which put Borjan in poor position to begin with.

Second goal was a pin-point long ball, two Canadian defenders that got out-run and another whiff by goalie. Commentators mentioned that Borjan should have had it.

I'm still cheering for them but to me it's obvious that the team and that includes the coach is not in the same league as the majority of the teams at the WC. Not enough world class talent.

Just my opinion.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well some hard lessons learned from this tournament. The good news is the coach and the majority of the core will be able to learn from it and apply those lessons to 2026.

The team still needs higher end talent but the majority of our good players are in their early 20's so should be in their peaks for the next tournament.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well some hard lessons learned from this tournament. The good news is the coach and the majority of the core will be able to learn from it and apply those lessons to 2026.

The team still needs higher end talent but the majority of our good players are in their early 20's so should be in their peaks for the next tournament.
It’s too bad our higher end talent started the game on the bench today. Canada deserved better the first game and todays game would’ve had a different vibe. Great success nonetheless.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Just realized going forward that CONCACAF gets 6 spots going forward so I can't see us missing a World Cup in decades which is great

Like I posted before I think being Lot 1 in 2026 should make us into the knockout phase for sure

Reactions: snowkiddin

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Borja was great in Qualifying not so great here. Need to find a quality goalie before the next World Cup

They do have some other young talent coming
Jahkeel Marshall-rutty, Ralph Priso and Liam Miller should hopefully add to the squad going forward. Lots of the other guys like Jonathan David and Tajon Buchanon will be playing bigger minutes in Europe. 2026 is the time for us to get to the next level

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It’s too bad our higher end talent started the game on the bench today. Canada deserved better the first game and todays game would’ve had a different vibe. Great success nonetheless.

Jonathan David has been completely ineffective this world cup, not too upset he was dropped today.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Damn. Morocco is generational at flopping AINEC.

A shame that if we didn’t start Pavelec we might’ve gotten the draw there. Something to build on at least.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just realized going forward that CONCACAF gets 6 spots going forward so I can't see us missing a World Cup in decades which is great

Like I posted before I think being Lot 1 in 2026 should make us into the knockout phase for sure
Yeah, I guess Mexico, United States, and Costa Rica would be locks? Canada very likely. Then Honduras and Panama maybe? El Salvador and Jamaica in the conversation? Just from what I’ve been reading.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Jonathan David has been completely ineffective this world cup, not too upset he was dropped today.
It was more than him and our tactics with opening lineup was awful. Much better all around in second half which is what we should’ve started with.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It was more than him and our tactics with opening lineup was awful. Much better all around in second half which is what we should’ve started with.

Yeah starting Davies on the right wasn't a good option. 2nd half was better, they could've tied it up.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Japan vs Spain: I thought the goal with Mitoma sliding over the line (left of the net) to pop it back in play for Tanaka may have been a non-goal. It seemed to me to have been out. I don't have an image of the top of the circumference but wow this is close. VAR confirmed it, I know...

It looked like it snuck out of play. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.22.58 PM.png

Edit: Here is another look, much friendlier to Japan and the original call.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.13.37 PM.png

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Japan vs Spain: I thought the goal with Mitoma sliding over the line (left of the net) to pop it back in play for Tanaka may have been a non-goal. It seemed to me to have been out. I don't have an image of the top of the circumference but wow this is close. VAR confirmed it, I know...

It looked like it snuck out of play. What do you think?

View attachment 615626

Looks in by the slimmest of margins to me.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad