World Cup 2016 Thread

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Rene Bourque's biggest contribution might have been injuring Torts and giving him time to plan camp. That way, he might miss part of it, but all of the assistants know exactly what to do.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Columbus - the city, as well as the team - got a TON of love from Bucci and Weekes last night during the telecast. Weekes especially sounded excited to see how the young team can improve on last year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Columbus - the city, as well as the team - got a TON of love from Bucci and Weekes last night during the telecast. Weekes especially sounded excited to see how the young team can improve on last year.

They were two of the biggest believers a year ago, I believe Bucci even had them in the conference finals, no surprise they're still drinking the Kool aid.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
picture.php

Torts, you're making it really hard for me to dislike you. :handclap:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/09/...tand-national-anthem-unlike-kaepernick-or-sit

(This might be the first time I've ever reposted anything from Fox News)

Good for Torts .

Last edited by a moderator:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
WAY better hockey game than I was expecting! Surprisingly large crowd for a meaningless practice game in September. I'm curious if the Americans can play that way when they're not on home ice.

Dubi looks really good. JMFJ looks good although a step slower than the other all-stars that were on the ice. Bob, CMac and Korpi are nowhere near as good as Quick (not even close). If the Jackets had more talent, it would look exactly like the game we saw the USA play tonight.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
There is maybe only 2 or 3 other goalies at quicks level in the entire world to be fair. The guy has won 2 cups and is clutch. Any team is happy to have 80% of what quick is and I think our guys can do that. Bob played good in his showing and let's see how Korpisalo and Forseberg follow up the end of last year to.start the year. See how well Torts coaches internationally with a similar style I expect us to play just goes to further strengthen my resolve that we made the perfect choice for our coach. The definition of a blue collar coach for the definition of a blue collar team.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
So much better than I thought it would be. It was basically an all star game with everyone trying. Let's do that again next year.

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
I object to the whole tournament. I don't like that the coach is distracted from preparing the team in what would be his first camp with the team, and I really hate the injury risk the players are taking in games that can in no way help the team that I pay money to see. CBJ fans have had to endure long stretched with large numbers of key players injured, and I don't want anybody getting a head start on that. Yes, I understand that players can get hurt anytime and anywhere, but this tournament has no more value to the CBJ's chances of making the playoffs than a pickup game, so there's no upside to it, but if anybody (perhaps especially Bob) gets hurt, it sure can derail anything else they do. Sorry to be a wet blanket for those who are enjoying the tourney, but I just don't see how the costs and risks can be justified.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not that the risks are justified, but it there is SOME benefit to the tournament.

Seth Jones and Ryan Murray are receiving a lot of minutes together facing tough opponents. Same with Bobrovsky. I also think this early play could benefit Dubinsky, Johnson, and Saad.

If anything, I'd have really liked to see Wennberg playing in this tournament and getting ready for the season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not that the risks are justified, but it there is SOME benefit to the tournament.

Seth Jones and Ryan Murray are receiving a lot of minutes together facing tough opponents. Same with Bobrovsky. I also think this early play could benefit Dubinsky, Johnson, and Saad.

If anything, I'd have really liked to see Wennberg playing in this tournament and getting ready for the season.

I definitely agree with respect to Jones and Murray. This is a great opportunity for them to learn.

Some of the other guys, especially Dubi, I just see mileage.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
I hope CBJ players play well but I also hope that their respective teams have quick exits. Unnecessary injury risk for a tournament Canada is going to win. Here's how I see it going down:

Canada
USA
Czech
Europe

Sweden
U23
Russia
Finland

Canada-U23
USA-Sweden

Canada-Sweden, Canada in two.

Haven't seen the Russia-Czech games, and it's early, but CAN is too good, U23 is surprisingly good, RUS D is suspect on paper, FIN and CZE rosters aren't good enough, EUR is garbage. Murray and Jones looked good, Jack Johnson is in a wrong tournament.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I object to the whole tournament. I don't like that the coach is distracted from preparing the team in what would be his first camp with the team, and I really hate the injury risk the players are taking in games that can in no way help the team that I pay money to see. CBJ fans have had to endure long stretched with large numbers of key players injured, and I don't want anybody getting a head start on that. Yes, I understand that players can get hurt anytime and anywhere, but this tournament has no more value to the CBJ's chances of making the playoffs than a pickup game, so there's no upside to it, but if anybody (perhaps especially Bob) gets hurt, it sure can derail anything else they do. Sorry to be a wet blanket for those who are enjoying the tourney, but I just don't see how the costs and risks can be justified.

If not NHLers, what level of players should comprise the national teams, or do you think international events have no place in team sports?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad