World Cup 2016 Thread

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think Torts style works much better on a younger team who is eager, not a bunch of seasoned vets (team USA) as his message (coaching by fear aka skating them hard when they mess up, yelling, pushing them hard etc) could cause them to block him out as the established guys already feel like they may not have anything to prove. Where as our team full of younger guys mixed in with a few older vets who already know how Torts coaches could catch fire under his style. Just my opinion, but of course there's always the possibility of them just blocking him out. But I really think that's more likely on a older, seasoned team.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Sorry to jump on your boards as a Preds fan, but one of my drinking buddies is a huge Jackets fan and I'm really getting tired of his 20 minute anti Torts tirade everytime I see him. The World Cup disaster has put him over the edge. Either be successful under Torts or fire his sorry ass, but Torts is killing our friendship and ruining my drinking fun.

Thanks from a collateral damaged Preds fan.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Torts has about as toxic a reputation as you can get.

Most of that reputation, so far as I can tell, comes from media figures, with whom he had a contentious relationship or simply follow along with what's focused on - yelling, anger, smarts comments to reporters. Most players seem to feel differently and believe he makes them better hockey players.

Sure, he has a shelf life, like most guys with that kind of personality, but I do believe he's toned down a bit from his younger days having been out of the league for a few years.

I guess I just believe the media's construct of Torts is vastly different from reality, but at this point it has a life of its own. Hopefully he can have success here and create a different legacy.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Most of that reputation, so far as I can tell, comes from media figures, with whom he had a contentious relationship or simply follow along with what's focused on - yelling, anger, smarts comments to reporters. Most players seem to feel differently and believe he makes them better hockey players.

Sure, he has a shelf life, like most guys with that kind of personality, but I do believe he's toned down a bit from his younger days having been out of the league for a few years.

I guess I just believe the media's construct of Torts is vastly different from reality, but at this point it has a life of its own. Hopefully he can have success here and create a different legacy.

From all the criticism he gets, I think his previous 'ways' alienated a lot of the media --- and now they take every chance they can possibly get to blame things on him, over-exaggerate comments etc.. when most of the time its completely subjective and to pin it on him is just an easy way out/attention grabbing decision.

In the past two weeks just on Sirius XM alone I've heard probably 95% negative comments on his coaching/attitude/system... its like the media wants to blame only him and not the players for the absolute massive US WCH failure.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
From all the criticism he gets, I think his previous 'ways' alienated a lot of the media --- and now they take every chance they can possibly get to blame things on him, over-exaggerate comments etc.. when most of the time its completely subjective and to pin it on him is just an easy way out/attention grabbing decision.

In the past two weeks just on Sirius XM alone I've heard probably 95% negative comments on his coaching/attitude/system... its like the media wants to blame only him and not the players for the absolute massive US WCH failure.

Exactly.

I know he had a role in choosing players, but he wasn't the only one. Lombardi should be sharing the blame. As for "coaching" it is always lazy to blame the head coach, but particularly in a tournament like this. Seems "blame" should be shared along with flavor of the month Mike Sullivan, Jack Capuano and the rest. I mean - when's the last time in the past few days you've even seen these other guy's names in the reports?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad