World Cup 2016 Thread

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Not excited about WC at all. Probably won't watch any of it. Just skip all this hokum and let's get to the NHL season.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I think this could have been a lot better though. You could have had near-Olympic level of effort for an international tournament. But the NHL, for whatever reason, treated it like an all-star tournament, complete with two gimmicky teams (Team NA, Team Europe, Sound familiar?). That's brought the energy down closer to all-star level.

I was at first against the notion of team whatevers but apart from ditching Switzerland (one of the four remaining Eurasian nations besides Finland, Sweden and Russia with strong enough national geopraphic game to support structures that ice hockey requires) it has been executed well enough. It is an interesting concept to forget the whole concept of natiolism for a while by mixing it up a little.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
picture.php

Torts, you're making it really hard for me to dislike you. :handclap:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/09/...tand-national-anthem-unlike-kaepernick-or-sit

(This might be the first time I've ever reposted anything from Fox News)

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Meanwhile I'm on the other side of this with a huge issue with it. If any players choose to sit, I will support them fully, just as I support Colin Kaepernick.

And at the same time, I just can't bring myself to care one bit.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Meanwhile I'm on the other side of this with a huge issue with it. If any players choose to sit, I will support them fully, just as I support Colin Kaepernick.

It seems inappropriate to be at the Worlds playing for your country and then be unsupportive by sitting during its anthem.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
picture.php

Torts, you're making it really hard for me to dislike you. :handclap:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/09/...tand-national-anthem-unlike-kaepernick-or-sit

(This might be the first time I've ever reposted anything from Fox News)

While its his right to have his opinion on the subject, and he has every right to believe what he wants, if he does that he's incredibly foolish, childish, and insensitive. His job is to coach hockey and try to win games, and a peaceful protest shouldn't come in the way of that. Hopefully Kane or someone like that sits and calls his bluff.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
You can sit on the other side of the glass if protesting goes before the play on your priority list.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
You can sit on the other side of the glass if protesting goes before the play on your priority list.

Literally all they do is sit during the anthem. You don't take any time away from hockey activities to "plan" this or execute it. None. It doesn't matter

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Literally all they do is sit during the anthem. You don't take any time away from hockey activities to "plan" this or execute it. None. It doesn't matter

It creates unnecessary media and inside the scenes chatter which sure takes bit off from your team's focus which is already surrounded with more than enough without the need of someone contributing by carrying their own flag.

Personally I would find it bit hilarious if a member of a team would use a very short period tournament to project their own agenda at any given turn. Let's not stand on ceremony, gents.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It creates unnecessary media and inside the scenes chatter which sure takes bit off from your team's focus which is already surrounded with more than enough without the need of someone contributing by carrying their own flag.

Personally I would find it bit hilarious if a member of a team would use a very short period tournament to project their own agenda at any given turn. Let's not stand on ceremony, gents.

Fair enough

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

That's funny.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Torts has every right to silently protest someone's silent protest.

Torts doesn't silently do anything.

But I think that was just a quip. I doubt he'd do much more than yell at the player in the locker room.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Tim Thomas and his White House antics years ago after Boston won the cup is the perfect example of this.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I went to the open practice this morning, and I really enjoyed it. A good amount of people showed up too (although not as full as an open TC practice for the CBJ).

On a side note, I checked out the Blue Line afterwards, and the customized WCH jerseys are outrageously overpriced....$250 for one?!?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I went to the open practice this morning, and I really enjoyed it. A good amount of people showed up too (although not as full as an open TC practice for the CBJ).

On a side note, I checked out the Blue Line afterwards, and the customized WCH jerseys are outrageously overpriced....$250 for one?!?
that's somewhere between the price of a replica and an authentic CBJ jersey, so yeah that doesn't seem too insane in terms of brand new, legitimate hockey jerseys

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
that's somewhere between the price of a replica and an authentic CBJ jersey, so yeah that doesn't seem too insane in terms of brand new, legitimate hockey jerseys

Blank authentics are $260 I believe. The customized replicas on NHL shop are between $180-200. A $60 markup is pretty insane.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
I went today too. I'm now fired up for hockey. Torts cracking the whip and 20+ good players working hard. If the Jackets come anywhere close to that intensity we'll be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad