World Cup 2016 Thread

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Meanwhile Late Marjamäki has been travelling all over Finland during August, meeting players individually so that he could clear out everyone's role in the team, discuss their personal situation and life at the moment and ask about possible preferences for the tournament. Never got a dinner.

Captain Koivu also insisted during pre-phase that the players would meet on their own even before. Never got a dinner.

John Tortorella's tournament playbook could very well come under the knowing eye of the Leading One. I have thought about a while of starting a new experimental thread over Tortorella's playbook where we could draw the whole picture, fill the pages and potentially even shread pages if necessary. So say something now or keep it silent forever before we start pressing the issue.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
After reading the Torts article in the Dispatch today I'm not liking this whole world cup thing. Torts going to miss most of the CBJ camp, Jarmo off in Finland GM'ing their team; meanwhile back at the ranch Brad Larsen and our new minor league coach will be putting the guys through the paces. Not a good way to set the tone for the season in my opinion.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
After reading the Torts article in the Dispatch today I'm not liking this whole world cup thing. Torts going to miss most of the CBJ camp, Jarmo off in Finland GM'ing their team; meanwhile back at the ranch Brad Larsen and our new minor league coach will be putting the guys through the paces. Not a good way to set the tone for the season in my opinion.

Shouldn't Shaw be in Columbus?

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Shouldn't Shaw be in Columbus?
yes I think he was mentioned in the article as running the practices as well. Obviously the deeper the US goes in the tournament the more practices Torts will miss. Interesting insight in the article, apparently Torts son is an Army Ranger. There will a Ranger on the bench during the game at Nationwide. Obviously Torts has deep conviction to participate as a way to give back to his country. Wish him and the US team well.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
NHL forbidding Finnish Anti-Doping Council to test Finnish team in Helsinki against World Anti-Doping organization Wada's regulations has raised some controversy. 'The Lions' are at the top of the food chain in Finnish sports in terms of visibility while being heavily supported by the society.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

World Cup is the test-bed for cutting-edge ice hockey. Every coach worth his salt will be focused on those games. I think it is a viewpoint to be held when you are in the barn, in opposite to looking from outwards to in.

Of course it is a short and quick tournament also so nothing decisive can be easily tracked from the display. I think it will be a very beneficial 'pre-season' for Tortorella and Shaw, one which could change the whole course of the season. The only evil they carry is what they bring with them into the tournament but how they walk out of there will be decided in Canada.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He probably should've relinquished the USA job when the CBJ hired him.

Is anyone else in the WCOH being coached by an active NHL head coach?
Team Canada's being coached by Mike Babcock (TOR), with Claude Julien (BOS), Joel Quennevile (CHI), Barry Trotz (WSH), and Bill Peters (CAR) as assistants. Paul Maurice (WPG) is one of the assistants for Team Europe. Team North America is being coached by Todd McClellan (EDM), with assistance from Jon Cooper (TBL), Peter DeBoer (SJS), and Dave Tippett (ARZ). Oh, and Torts is being assisted on Team USA by Mike Sullivan (PIT), John Hynes (NJD), and Jack Capuano (NYI).

So the answer to your question can be summed up as "yes".

EDIT: Coaches who aren't coaching in the WCoH, by division:

Pacific:
Randy Carlyle (Anaheim)
Glen Gulutzan (Calgary)
Darryl Sutter (Los Angeles)
Willie Desjardins (Vancouver)

Central:
Jared Bednar (Colorado)
Lindy Ruff (Dallas)
Bruce Boudreau (Minnesota)
Peter Laviolette (Nashville)
Ken Hitchcock (St. Louis)

Atlantic:
Dan Bylsma (Buffalo)
Jeff Blashill (Detroit)
Gerard Gallant (Florida)
Michel Therrien (Montreal)
Guy Boucher (Ottawa)

Metro:
Alain Vigneault (N.Y. Rangers)
Dave Hakstol (Philadelphia)

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know this is not quite on topic but didn't want to start a new thread...and not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else.

Are there any concerns about Torts having to balance his time between World Cup coaching and Training Camp. I assume they are not at the same time but clearly there would be planning overlap. Just wondering if Torts was named WCHC because he wasn't coaching an NHL club...and then he got the CBJ gig. Maybe he should have handed off WCHC job to someone else so he could focus on the CBJ.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I know this is not quite on topic but didn't want to start a new thread...and not sure if this has been discussed anywhere else.

Are there any concerns about Torts having to balance his time between World Cup coaching and Training Camp. I assume they are not at the same time but clearly there would be planning overlap. Just wondering if Torts was named WCHC because he wasn't coaching an NHL club...and then he got the CBJ gig. Maybe he should have handed off WCHC job to someone else so he could focus on the CBJ.
There's been an interview published with Torts talking about this. He's going to miss roughly half of the CBJ preseason games/training camp because he accepted the WCHC job before he was named CBJ coach. He's got everything planned out for the assistant coaches like Brad Larsen, former Springfield HC, to run things. I think it'll be fine, but I do wish Torts (and others in management) could devote their full attention to the Jackets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There's been an interview published with Torts talking about this. He's going to miss roughly half of the CBJ preseason games/training camp because he accepted the WCHC job before he was named CBJ coach. He's got everything planned out for the assistant coaches like Brad Larsen, former Springfield HC, to run things. I think it'll be fine, but I do wish Torts (and others in management) could devote their full attention to the Jackets.
If it's any consolation, we're hardly alone in that regard. Just shy of half the NHL's head coaches are tied up in WCoH work.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I usually really enjoy watching international hockey. I'm pretty 'meh' about this whole thing.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i am too, partly b/c I don't live in columbus any more, partly b/c the Olympics happen and that's enough fill for me.

I don't care about the world championships every june, and I liken this to that...

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I have a few questions for those who are planning on going to the open Team USA practice tomorrow:

-Is the practice going to be on the main ice or in the Ice Haus?
-What time are you planning on getting there
-And when do the doors open?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
i am too, partly b/c I don't live in columbus any more, partly b/c the Olympics happen and that's enough fill for me.

I don't care about the world championships every june, and I liken this to that...

Yeah, guess I'd be paying more attention if I were still in Ohio.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Well, Stanley Cup is not really the world championship but rather narrow spectrum.

well the NHL is recognized as the top league in the world, so the best players are here...and please don't cherry pick my post, where I talked about the Olympics. That is something to care about.

The WCs go on while the Stanley Cup is being played for, so all of the top players are not represented, so thus, it is not as high profile to me...

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm somewhat excited for the World Cup.. Going to the exhibition game vs Canada on Friday. It's not often that I can go to a USA vs Canada game with some of the best in the world playing that's only a 2 hour drive for me. Plus it signals that hockey is starting up.

I think it'll be fun just to see a hockey game and see it starting back up again.

As for the World Championships.. I can't really get too interested in the World Championships in late may/June when team USA brings out some weak lineups and the big time players playing in the Stanley Cup/playoffs or passing on the opportunity due to a long season (understandably). Also, it's difficult to watch on television.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'll still enjoy it, just because magic happens when you put that much talent together on teams. We don't get to see it that often. Obviously the All-star games don't count because the effort level isn't there.

I think this could have been a lot better though. You could have had near-Olympic level of effort for an international tournament. But the NHL, for whatever reason, treated it like an all-star tournament, complete with two gimmicky teams (Team NA, Team Europe, Sound familiar?). That's brought the energy down closer to all-star level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad