World Champion Finale GDT Sid vs. Geno

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maybe he fails the medical evaluation on purpose... Gives him an out with his countrymen and pittsburgh.

I doubt it though, he's hurt but can still play. He loves playing for his country so you can't fault him too much for that.... but he did suck.

Yeah, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. He´s a bit banged up, but good enough to play hockey. Should´ve played better for us, no question about that now. The injury still can be used as an excuse and so can be his wingers but the bottom line is that he still should´ve player better for us if he´s able to play for Russia now. So yeah, the truth is in the middle.

It will be interesting to compare his performance in the World Championships with his playoffs performance though. If he struggles there as well, then it will be obvious that he´s really pushing it through an injury. But right now it seems like that injury isn´t too serious to fully justify his playoffs performance.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Questioning Geno's commitment is about the dumbest thing a Pens fan can do. The dude was injured enough that he could barely skate and couldn't shoot until game 4. If he wants to play for Russia and he's able to, that's his right. It doesn't change the fact he wasn't 100% in the playoffs nor that he was trying as hard as he could.
In order to represent your country at this tournament, you have to get a permission from your teams´ doctors first. If the injury is serious, there is simply no way you get that permission. If he´s allowed to represent his country, then we can assume that he was speaking truth about being 85-90% fit.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. He´s a bit banged up, but good enough to play hockey. Should´ve played better for us, no question about that now. The injury still can be used as an excuse and so can be his wingers but the bottom line is that he still should´ve player better for us if he´s able to play for Russia now. So yeah, the truth is in the middle.

It will be interesting to compare his performance in the World Championships with his playoffs performance though. If he struggles there as well, then it will be obvious that he´s really pushing it through an injury. But right now it seems like that injury isn´t too serious to fully justify his playoffs performance.

What if he tears if up in the World Championships (assuming he plays)? How will that change your opinion of him?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Can't fault him too much - Geno played with 4th liners for the whole year basically. Trading Neal really had a huge impact on 71's production - rightfully so too. He was lights out when paired with JJ/Neal.

If he played that poorly with actual legit wingers, I'd get worried, but he didn't.

ok he had those guys against the Rags last year. and how'd that work out for us exactly? How'd Neal do against Boston again? I remember quite clearly several good looks Neal had on Rask and he simply missed. Forgiveable when you're a plugger, but if ALL you are bringing is your awesome sniping ability then not so much.

Cassius, if he was putting in a fantastic effort and his team mates couldn't help. Then I'd agree with you. But the reality was there was no explosion in his step. He didn't look good shooting the puck, he didn't look good skating.

You can only blame his wingers so much. Malkin never went into beast mode and we had Rossi saying that his back was so bad that he can't believe he's even playing. So we all gave him a pass. Now he's going off to play for mother Russia?

The reality was I thought Neal in the playoffs put more pressure ON malkin because good old Lazy would basically just go find a soft spot waiting for Malkin to fight off all the defenders to get him a pass. At least Comeau would forcheck, not that I want Comeau as a top 6 guy, just sayin.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
What if he tears if up in the World Championships (assuming he plays)? How will that change your opinion of him?
For me, it doesn't mean a thing if he goes on a tear in the World Cup. I mean, it's a big difference between playing the Rangers and playing against Team Denmark.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well Neal didn't look particularly lazy in Nashville (at least in the playoffs). Some of that might have been a change of scenery trade, but I really think moron Bylsma made him into a triggerman.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Well, it will confirm that David Perron was probably a very bad linemate, you know ;) (joking a bit)
Then, obviously, there will be unanswered questions about Geno. Don´t get me wrong, I love him and him being happy should be our priority right now.. but we would have to figure out why he wasn´t playing at least close to that level for us.

You know, everybody was giving him a pass because of serious injury. If he tears up a WCH, there´s no longer that excuse.

And yeah, of course, I will judge him based on the games against the good opponents. But you can read a lot just from a body language, sometimes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, it will confirm that David Perron was probably a very bad linemate, you know ;)
Then, obviously, there will be unanswered questions about Geno. Don´t get me wrong, I love him and him being happy should be our priority right now.. but we would have to figure out why he wasn´t playing at least close to that level for us.

You know, everybody was giving him a pass because of serious injury. If he tears up a WCH, there´s no longer that excuse.

Unless he, I don't know, started to heal. Or the Rangers defense, likely the best D core in the world, was just a tad better than the D in the Worlds.

I mean I'm not going to lie, I did think his injuries were fairly significant and that he probably shouldn't play, but I'm not going to give him too much grief. This team wasn't going anywhere regardless of how well Sid and Geno played. They are the only reason our team is playoff caliber anyway.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I have mixed feelings about this. If he is healthy enough to play, I have no issue with him going, in fact I'm happy for him to get to represent his country.

But it does mean that he must not have been that banged up in the playoffs, which is surprising given the way he played.

Seems like it's possible that he was being honest when he said he only had a few minor issues. If he is still banged up, even if he isn't risking further injury you have to wonder if he should even be in the lineup for Russia though since he hasn't exactly been playing well.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nobody will question his linemates. We all understand that. Kuleman would have been the best off-season signing quite honestly. Someone who meshes w/ Geno and has a history of doing so. Could have added Comeau or Perron depending on who skated better.... and yeah. Blah blah it's been discussed before.

Legit excuses - lack of talent on wingers
Non-legit excuses - his injury caused his lazy play.

I think it's 50/50 here. We excused Geno of everything. I think it's time to change that a little bit.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I have mixed feelings about this. If he is healthy enough to play, I have no issue with him going, in fact I'm happy for him to get to represent his country.

But it does mean that he must not have been that banged up in the playoffs, which is surprising given the way he played.

Seems like it's possible that he was being honest when he said he only had a few minor issues. If he is still banged up, even if he isn't risking further injury you have to wonder if he should even be in the lineup for Russia though since he hasn't exactly been playing well.
Those are my feelings as well. Whatever happened.. happened. We should probably put it behind us and root for him on that tournament. You know, if he dominates there, maybe the front office will understand that he needs better linemates here and maybe just maybe they will explore someone like Panarin. There are definitely potential positives here.

But yeah, that bad feeling about his playoffs performance is still on my mind and it circulates faster now when I know that he probably wasn´t seriously injured.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Nobody will question his linemates. We all understand that. Kuleman would have been the best off-season signing quite honestly. Someone who meshes w/ Geno and has a history of doing so. Could have added Comeau or Perron depending on who skated better.... and yeah. Blah blah it's been discussed before.

Legit excuses - lack of talent on wingers
Non-legit excuses - his injury caused his lazy play.

I think it's 50/50 here. We excused Geno of everything. I think it's time to change that a little bit.

Define 'we'. This board or the city of Pittsburgh? Because if it's the former I can buy that but Geno gets his fair share of criticism in this city. I bet if you did a poll of fans a year or 2 before Staal left, a majority of fans would have said to trade Geno over Staal.

For me, I'm done criticizing Sid and Geno. They have done more than their fair share for this team. I look at every other star around the league and they all have plenty of support and outside of Chicago, none of them have had anymore team success than Sid and Geno.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Honestly, can anyone here remember a stretch of games (playoffs or otherwise) where both of them dominated the play? Always seems to be one or the other.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Those are my feelings as well. Whatever happened.. happened. We should probably put it behind us and root for him on that tournament. You know, if he dominates there, maybe the front office will understand that he needs better linemates here and maybe just maybe they will explore someone like Panarin. There are definitely potential positives here.

But yeah, that bad feeling about his playoffs performance is still on my mind and it circulates faster now when I know that he probably wasn´t seriously injured.

Yup, hopefully he plays well, ends up in gold medal game against Sid and the two can end the season on a positive note.

Even if Geno was more or less healthy in playoffs, he has done so much for this franchise that he doesn't deserve to be heavily scrutinized for a bad series. He's been an excellent playoff performer for the Penguins, and I don't think anyone doubts that he will keep it up.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yup, hopefully he plays well, ends up in gold medal game against Sid and the two can end the season on a positive note.

Even if Geno was more or less healthy in playoffs, he has done so much for this franchise that he doesn't deserve to be heavily scrutinized for a bad series. He's been an excellent playoff performer for the Penguins, and I don't think anyone doubts that he will keep it up.
Agreed. I definitely understand the circumstances and all.. I have no doubts that when he´s put into a better position to succeed, he will succeed. But I still have to think about this:

1)He was probably just 85% fit, so not a full excuse anymore
2)His linemates were terrible.. excuse
3)Rangers are a great defensive team.. excuse

That said, his playoffs performance is still painful to me and I feel like noone should blame me for that. Geno at his 85% still should have been able to produce 1-2 pts in that Rangers series under those circumstances. Those are very limited expectations, if you ask me. He produces those 2 points and we might as well be ahead 3-2 in the series. That´s how close those games were and that´s how big Geno´s impact could have been there.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well obviously an injury wasn't why Geno played terrible in the playoffs.

I will give credit to Geno for taking blame and apologizing to the fans, he could of skipped the worlds and used the injury excuse for his poor play.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well obviously an injury wasn't why Geno played terrible in the playoffs.

I will give credit to Geno for taking blame and apologizing to the fans, he could of skipped the worlds and used the injury excuse for his poor play.

Geez we are quick to jump to conclusions here.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Obviously he is been asked by GMJR to go and evaluate Panarin as his next season linemate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I only care because I'd rather not see Malkin or Crosby play in a tourney I don't care about and risk injury. Other than that, woop.

Malkin would have played in the second round if they made it that far, so it's not as if he was sitting out then all of the sudden was healthy enough to play in the worlds.

Obviously he is been asked by GMJR to go and evaluate Panarin as his next season linemate.

The last time Malkin tried to recruit a guy, the Pens signed Ehrhoff.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I only care because I'd rather not see Malkin or Crosby play in a tourney I don't care about and risk injury. Other than that, woop.

Malkin would have played in the second round if they made it that far, so it's not as if he was sitting out then all of the sudden was healthy enough to play in the worlds.

Agreed, he could still look pretty bad for these games as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad