World Champion Finale GDT Sid vs. Geno

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kinda disappointing.

He wasn't really there for us when we needed him....

Shades of Geno and Gonchar back in '09.

This is the kind of post I expect to read on the main boards by a Flyers/Red Wings/Capitals fan, not on the Pens board by a Penguins fan.

Crosby's line was the only source of offense this entire series. Exactly what was he supposed to do? Carry the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines as well? Maybe play defense so the Pens would have one guy who can actually transition the puck up the ice?

The Pens score 8 goals this series. Eight. Crosby's line was in on, I believe, 5 of those 8 goals. Yet somehow he wasn't there for the team.

Jesus.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
“He and I are pretty good friends. We train together in the summer. I was talking to him before I left and he said he was willing to come over,” said Duchesne.

“Pretty cool for him. Pretty cool for all of us.

“I’d assume his mentality coming over is that he wants to put another piece of hardware on his wall,” he said of the Pittsburgh Penguin captain who played in his only world championship in 2006, leading the tournament in scoring and winning top forward honours. In addition to the two Olympic gold medals, Crosby won gold and silver at the World Junior.

Canada has gone six years without winning a medal at the event.

“We had a hell of a team as it is,” said Duchesne.

“This is my fourth team I’ve played for at the world championship and this is the best one on paper. And it just got better,” added the Colorado Avalanche centre.

“For what I’ve heard, he’s a world class leader as well and he brings so much skill and experience to our team,” said Edmonton’s Taylor Hall.

“I had a clue when I landed today. I was talking to David Perron in Pittsburgh and he said Sidney might be coming over,” said Hall, who like Duchesne didn’t share it with anyone until he knew for sure.

“It’s real exciting for everyone involved any everyone in Canada. He’s such a great player and symbol of hockey in Canada. It’ll be great to see him play.”

But Crosby, the leader and star of the back-to-back Olympic gold medal team made a significant statement about himself and his plan to keep carrying Canada’s flag.

“Sid was real aggressive, he wanted to let the people over here know he’d like to participate,” said coach Todd McLellan.

“I was asked about it. Short discussion. Of course we want Sidney Crosby. Why wouldn’t we? He’ll get over here, likely Monday, and I know when we mention it to the group everybody will be excited. He’s one of the best players if not THE best player in the world.”

If was fun to be able to break the news to some of the players such as Philadelphia Flyers Claude Giroux, when they came off the ice, not to mention Vienna Capitals manager Satorina Martin.

“We’re sold out,” he said when I informed him of the news. “We’re going to have to get all the tickets back and charge them double.”

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/04/...m-canada-at-the-2015-iihf-world-championships

Last edited:

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
I've been really much trying to read many of the threads over here, but it seems like it's ignorant trolls' grand day out everywhere.

Team Finland has very good team again, and we've usually thrived in the World Championships. Apart from Finland winning the whole thing, I'm all up for Crosby lighting the tournament up and joining the Triple Club, much to the annoyance of the haters and also, how much he deserves to end the season in a high tone. He was very good in the playoffs and seems to be healthy, so there's really nothing blocking that route.

Then again: Team Canada is straight from the World Championship book of nightmares. Stacked, skilled and everything and if ANYTHING doubts me, it's the goaltending.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Malkin to play for Team Russia at World Championships?

Original source in Russian

Arkady Rotenberg said that Malkin, Tarasenko and Kulemin will join the national team and receive a medical examination with the hopes that they will play in the World Championships.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
"GENO doesn't care about playing in Pittsburgh! He's SELFISH *pant pant* SELFISH AND NOT PLAYING HARD ENOUGH"

"But isn't Crosby also playing for Can...."

"GENO NATION ALWAYS MAKING IT ABOUT SID!"

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah I'll throw a little gas into the fire. I watched Kuznetsov's goal yesterday for Washington and remembered when Geno would turn it on like that.

Watching him play when the team really needed him was very disappointing. We all love the guy, rightfully so, but his performance was piss poor and now we find out the injuries weren't even that bad thus he can play for Russia.

When holding individuals accountable, it's important to be fair. Now that we have more information on #71, I'm a little disappointed. Granted the dude needs better linemates now, but it's still very disappointing.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe the key here is the 'medical evaluation'. They may just send him home in favor or someone who's not nursing an injury.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah I'll throw a little gas into the fire. I watched Kuznetsov's goal yesterday for Washington and remembered when Geno would turn it on like that.

Watching him play when the team really needed him was very disappointing. We all love the guy, rightfully so, but his performance was piss poor and now we find out the injuries weren't even that bad thus he can play for Russia.

When holding individuals accountable, it's important to be fair. Now that we have more information on #71, I'm a little disappointed. Granted the dude needs better linemates now, but it's still very disappointing.
Couldn´t have said it better myself. Very true. Geno looked seriously injured, that´s why we were kinda accepting his performance. Now we are seeing this.

Sid isn´t criticized for playing in Europe because he showed up when we needed him. It was obvious that he was healthy, so why not? Geno.. not so much. It´s weird, something is wrong here. Anyway, at least Geno can speak to Panarin/Tikhonov now.

Btw, yeah, Kuznetsov was awesome. All series long.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Well maybe if we had a Kuznetsov, Geno and Sid could have an off night and we could still win. Ovy had a decent series and they beat a very good Isles team. That's why the Caps are good (and Trotz). Where's our Kuznetsov, Wilson, hell even Michael Latta would be an upgrade.

I'm not absolving Geno because he sucked, but damn it would be nice to not always have to rely on 2 players to carry us.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

Can't fault him too much - Geno played with 4th liners for the whole year basically. Trading Neal really had a huge impact on 71's production - rightfully so too. He was lights out when paired with JJ/Neal.

If he played that poorly with actual legit wingers, I'd get worried, but he didn't.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This was his worst postseason in awhile, but Sid was pretty trash the year prior and in the Boston series. I don't see the big deal. Just have to hope both of them dont get injured.

Enjoying hockey away from this mess could be beneficial. Both could use some confidence.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Maybe he fails the medical evaluation on purpose... Gives him an out with his countrymen and pittsburgh.

I doubt it though, he's hurt but can still play. He loves playing for his country so you can't fault him too much for that.... but he did suck.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Questioning Geno's commitment is about the dumbest thing a Pens fan can do. The dude was injured enough that he could barely skate and couldn't shoot until game 4. If he wants to play for Russia and he's able to, that's his right. It doesn't change the fact he wasn't 100% in the playoffs nor that he was trying as hard as he could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad