World Champion Finale GDT Sid vs. Geno

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I'm disappointed Fleury wasn't even asked. They took Mike Smith who had a bad year but didn't ask Fleury who had a career year.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
As long as he stays healthy I'm fine with it. The last time he played in the WCs he got plastered by some Finnish idiot head first into the boards but was miraculously okay.

Yeah, Sid's definitely the reason they lost the series. Not missing 3 of their top 4 d-men, or having no 2nd line, or facing the Stanley Cup favorites.

I'm not saying he was the sole reason we lost, but he really needed to step up with Geno not being 100% and aside from Game 2, he didn't really do that IMO.

He could have at least told the guys to knock their **** off and to quit playing so undisciplined.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Oh really? What if Sid dominates this tournament? You don't think that would be great for his confidence going into next season? What if he can lure a good player to come play for his team while he's over there?

There is all kinds of positive that can come from this.

The worlds isn't an 'exhibition'. Preseason hockey is an exhibition. The all-star game is an exhibition. This is as intense, quality hockey as someone eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs can find.

Nothing Sid does over there is going to help the pens win next year.

IIRR didn't Russia just win one of these? Did that help Geno with his confidence? Did Russia winning help Geno in the playoffs?

Who is Sid going to recruit? Most of these players on team canada are all star players that are locked up to long contracts with there team.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not saying he was the sole reason we lost, but he really needed to step up with Geno not being 100% and aside from Game 2, he didn't really do that IMO.

He could have at least told the guys to knock their **** off and to quit playing so undisciplined.

What DID he say to the guys, anyhow? I'd love to know.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I'm not crazy about Sid or any penguin playing in these exhibition tournaments.

Nothing positive can come out of these exhibition tournaments for the penguins.

I don't know who is on team Canada, but I think it might be good for Sid to play a few games with some elite wingers. This season more than any other it looked like Sid was maybe questioning or had to sort of abandon some aspects of his game given who he played with. I'm happy with Hornqvist and what he brings to this team, but he doesn't seem to have that high end ability to work give and go's with Sid, often he becomes victim to a bit of tunnel vision, nor does he really create for or setup Sid either. In the past, before Kunitz's game fell apart, he and Duper were able to get Sid the puck with speed flying through the neutral zone, this year it seems like Sid rarely was in those situations.

If nothing else, maybe the experience of him getting those high end looks will help give reassurance to his game, a little pick me up if you will, and maybe even show the Pens brass, "Hey, look what Sid can do with some more talent around him."

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Oh really? What if Sid dominates this tournament? You don't think that would be great for his confidence going into next season? What if he can lure a good player to come play for his team while he's over there?

The worlds isn't an 'exhibition'. Preseason hockey is an exhibition. The all-star game is an exhibition. This is as intense, quality hockey as someone eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs can find.
He's probably going to get injured, with this teams luck..

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Just like sid lured parise and suter to the team amirite?

I mean I have no issue with him playing barring a major injury chance, but if winning gold with Canada last year didn't help him, I don't think this will.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I'm gonna put all my money on Canada, that is an unbelievable roster.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
It appears some players may like the game enough to play it even when they wouldn't have to. Weird. And nice.

I've never been a big fan of the "let's not let them do anything fun that might result in an injury" school of thought. People are not chattel - even if they play for your favourite team. Players can - and will - get injured in a gazillion different ways that have nothing to do with hockey. And if they're so in need of rest that the entire off-season is not going to be enough, perhaps they shouldn't have been playing at all.

Good for Crosby for going, and good for Malkin for whatever he ends up doing. I think it's slightly off-putting that some fans are basically hoping his injury is serious enough that he can't play in the worlds. If the man's healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to play. International hockey is not that much more demanding than playoff hockey.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

This is why I'm not fussed if Geno goes over and plays while he's dinged up. Recruiting some Russian talent that only costs cap space would be huge for this franchise right now.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
If I see that correctly, there are still tickets for Germany vs Canada and it doesn't even seem to be obscenely overpriced. Sweet!

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Good for Crosby for going, and good for Malkin for whatever he ends up doing. I think it's slightly off-putting that some fans are basically hoping his injury is serious enough that he can't play in the worlds. If the man's healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to play. International hockey is not that much more demanding than playoff hockey.
I mean, I want to know that Malkin was seriously injured just to accept his playoffs performance in my heart a bit better. If he´s healthy enough to play for Russia, then I would be even more mad about his playoffs. If he declines, then it´s pretty obvious that his injury wasn´t that minor.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It was a frustrating season for him no doubt. He gets a chance to get away for a bit. Maybe playing on a team with Nathan MacKinnon was a factor too. Maybe, just maybe, he finds a way to chat with Panarin.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Maybe he did.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Some positive juju, fun, and confidence can only be good for him after carrying around these slugs the whole season.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The last time and only Crosby played at the WC his tournament ended when he scored a goal, turned around to celebrate and some Swedish nobody cross-checked him square in the jaw. I hope things go better for him this time, he should end this lousy season on a high note. Also because I have tickets and want to watch him live. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00