World Champion Finale GDT Sid vs. Geno

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Better outside chances than no chances at all, like the NHL.

Shots from the perimiter are not "chances" unless you have a VERY crappy goalie.

The ice surface isn't the problem. The way the rules aren't followed is. Clutch and grab is the problem. Call it and it will eventually disappear. Thing is, they want the clutch and grab for "safety" reasons.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Shots from the perimiter are not "chances" unless you have a VERY crappy goalie.

The ice surface isn't the problem. The way the rules aren't followed is. Clutch and grab is the problem. Call it and it will eventually disappear. Thing is, they want the clutch and grab for "safety" reasons.

Disagree with you. Ice surface solves the safety portion. More room takes away from those crazy hits you see along the boards. Skaters have way more room to dodge the hits and defense have to play waaaaay differently due to all that extra space.

I agree with you that the main reason the NHL isn't open is due to the rules. I also agree with you that they want clutch/grab for safety. I disagree that opening the ice up. That would solve a lot of the safety issues.

Also, I am 100% for the NHL going the NFL route. Start fining and suspending rough hits. Sure... even legal ones like the NFL did. It seemed ****ing stupid at the time, but the game is a lot safer and there are plenty of quotes from James Harrison about him changing his game because he knew he couldn't hit as hard or as vicious.

It sucks... it's definitely a pansy approach, but the speed of the game is insane compared to 20 years ago. Truth is.. the fastest skaters of 20 years ago couldn't keep up at the pace the game is played at today. EVERYONE hits. EVERYONE blocks shots.

My proposal:
- Expand the ice
- Call the rules on obstruction
- Fine/Suspend vicious hits to the head or leaping off skates
- Remove 75% of post-whistle ****. Punches thrown are immediate 10 minute misconducts. Words are fine... but the rabbit punching, pushing (outside of clearing the net), slashes, crosschecks (especially), hacks, etc. are officially out of the game. 10 minute misconducts at first - fines/suspension follow if persist.
- Fighting move to 10 minute misconducts. (I'm hesitant on this but I read a really nice proposal years back that made a very valid point. I'll try to find the article)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's still an idea I'm not 100% sure about... but I'm starting to come around on issuing a 2 minute minor if a player leaves his feet to block a shot. I would even consider banning the protective shells a lot of guys wear on their skates.

This will be divisive and I understand that. But I'm personally utterly sick of seeing the entire opposing team collapse to the house in their own end shift after shift. It's also a "tactic" that is widely copy-catted throughout the league. And, IMO, is a huge reason the league is so damned unwatchable, anymore.

This would also have the nice side benefit of FORCING the Penguins to trade Scuderi. Or put up with a 1000% increase in minor penalties. That's an exact figure, by the way.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
Yet another reason to chase Tikhonov? Class act. (...Nah, we don't need no stinking talent.)

Grats to Crosby. I'm on board with everyone preaching the IIHF rules and ice surface. It's so much better quality hockey. The speed was night and day. So refreshing to watch.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
It's still an idea I'm not 100% sure about... but I'm starting to come around on issuing a 2 minute minor if a player leaves his feet to block a shot. I would even consider banning the protective shells a lot of guys wear on their skates.

This will be divisive and I understand that. But I'm personally utterly sick of seeing the entire opposing team collapse to the house in their own end shift after shift. It's also a "tactic" that is widely copy-catted throughout the league. And, IMO, is a huge reason the league is so damned unwatchable, anymore.

This would also have the nice side benefit of FORCING the Penguins to trade Scuderi. Or put up with a 1000% increase in minor penalties. That's an exact figure, by the way.

It wasn't necessary in this tournament to make good hockey. I'd consider penalizing it, but the shells have to stay. I think that's just proper safety. I don't want to see broken legs/feet/ankles from stray shots.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Disagree with you. Ice surface solves the safety portion. More room takes away from those crazy hits you see along the boards. Skaters have way more room to dodge the hits and defense have to play waaaaay differently due to all that extra space.

I agree with you that the main reason the NHL isn't open is due to the rules. I also agree with you that they want clutch/grab for safety. I disagree that opening the ice up. That would solve a lot of the safety issues.

Also, I am 100% for the NHL going the NFL route. Start fining and suspending rough hits. Sure... even legal ones like the NFL did. It seemed ****ing stupid at the time, but the game is a lot safer and there are plenty of quotes from James Harrison about him changing his game because he knew he couldn't hit as hard or as vicious.

It sucks... it's definitely a pansy approach, but the speed of the game is insane compared to 20 years ago. Truth is.. the fastest skaters of 20 years ago couldn't keep up at the pace the game is played at today. EVERYONE hits. EVERYONE blocks shots.

My proposal:
- Expand the ice
- Call the rules on obstruction
- Fine/Suspend vicious hits to the head or leaping off skates
- Remove 75% of post-whistle ****. Punches thrown are immediate 10 minute misconducts. Words are fine... but the rabbit punching, pushing (outside of clearing the net), slashes, crosschecks (especially), hacks, etc. are officially out of the game. 10 minute misconducts at first - fines/suspension follow if persist.
- Fighting move to 10 minute misconducts. (I'm hesitant on this but I read a really nice proposal years back that made a very valid point. I'll try to find the article)

Agreed but it's too late for ice expansion as that opportunity was lost years ago when the buildings started crumbling...

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I hate everything about that. Some of the coolest moments in hockey are when guys leave their feet to block a shot. As a player... that's the ultimate sacrifice to your fellow teammates.

If you make the ice bigger, you cannot just collapse the front of the net. Too much room to do everything else. It immediately spreads the d-zone out.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agreed but it's too late for ice expansion as that opportunity was lost years ago when the buildings started crumbling...

That's the unfortunate part of it. We had 2 lockouts to do it and didn't. It would NEVER pass ownership votes because that money would be insane to lose up front. They would try to dip into NHL PA for it and man.. it'd be a disaster.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well... it USED to be a dramatic moment in a game... before literally all five guys on the opposing team are scrambling to the house and dropping like they've been shot as soon as the puck goes to the point. It isn't much of a sacrifice when it's a requirement by your coach. It's just job security. Most of these guys wear what amounts to armor on top of the skates, these days, too. So I don't really buy this whole "warrior" angle.

I'm sorry... but it's gotten completely out of control. Watch a Rangers game. Hell... watch most games. It sucks.

Expanding the size of the ice is a pipe dream and everyone knows it. That's not a solution.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

If there's traffic, any shot is a chance. All I'm saying is players are bigger and faster and the rink size stays the same. I'm not advocating Olympic dimensions but that would certainly be better than what we currently have. Just knocking out the first row of seats and add 3 feet to every side. That alone would give you 1,746 more square feet of real estate for the stars to maneuver.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Well... it USED to be a dramatic moment in a game... before literally all five guys on the opposing team are scrambling to the house and dropping like they've been shot as soon as the puck goes to the point. It isn't much of a sacrifice when it's a requirement by your coach. It's just job security. Most of these guys wear what amounts to armor on top of the skates, these days, too. So I don't really buy this whole "warrior" angle.

I'm sorry... but it's gotten completely out of control. Watch a Rangers game. Hell... watch most games. It sucks.

Expanding the size of the ice is a pipe dream and everyone knows it. That's not a solution.

My working thesis: In today's NHL, the balance of power is disproportionately shifted towards goaltenders/defenders. It used to be a rock paper scissor game where forwards, defenders, and goaltenders each played a role in the delicate competitive balance.

Now? Goalies and defenders can stifle pretty much any offense. If you're a goalie/defender, you have an outsized competitive advantage relative to forwards. The inverse is true for forwards tooo.

That's just how it is. I did a writeup on the main board with some data / charts: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1896853

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
I also posted this on the main, but I thought I'd share it here to incase anyone missed it. Heres what Aaron Ekblad had to say about Crosby..... "He’s the best player in the world. He’s hands down THE best player in the world. You can’t measure the impact and importance he had. Few people can make the difference he makes."

Pretty obvious that Sid makes a big impact not only on the ice, but also off it.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...than-mackinnon

May 10, 2010
"He’s the best player in the world. He’s hands down THE best player in the world. You can’t measure the impact and importance he had. Few people can make the difference he makes."

Unless you screw around for 10 years giving him nothing to work with and then blame him for it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Scuderi on bigger ice....OHGODMYEYES!!!

What, you don't like watching Scuderi majestically drop to the ice and slide around whenever he thinks he can? You don't appreciate his slow, methodical skating and panicked puck flinging? Ingrate.

I'll take the NHL enforcing the rules to start fixing things, you start there and see what else really needs fixing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll take the NHL enforcing the rules to start fixing things, you start there and see what else really needs fixing.

Yes. This really, really, really needs to happen first. Before anything else.

Enforce the rules. Really not that hard. Nobody goes to the games to watch Team Stripes. Just like hardly anyone goes to (or watches) the games to see guys step in front of pucks. Is whatever the hell it is Craig Adams and Rob Scuderi do out there worth spending money and time to watch? Not so much.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If the refs called it like they did in the post lockout season no one would be talking about bigger ice or smaller goalie pads.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the refs called it like they did in the post lockout season no one would be talking about bigger ice or smaller goalie pads.

There's still a huge discrepancy that gets massively hidden with camera angles and the such compared to when you actually go to games. You literally see how much less ice there is to use in person.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
There's still a huge discrepancy that gets massively hidden with camera angles and the such compared to when you actually go to games. You literally see how much less ice there is to use in person.

The thing is most goals still get score from the same places in international hockey. Obstruction is what prevents access to scoring areas. You might get a few more guys like Grabner taking the Scuderis of the world wide, but that's not stopping the hooks and holds.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I saw some photos of Geno playing football with his teammates pre-finals, and I thought it was good to share, as he's got those kinesiology tape all over 1 of his leg. It wasn't just his ankle that JR claimed, so he has more of a reason why he was in that terrible slump at the end of the season.

tumblr_nohw5lwMfk1unxmfzo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nohw5lwMfk1unxmfzo3_1280.jpg

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
An obstruction crackdown would help but I think shot blocking is as big of a factor right now. Specifically 4 and 5 man shells. You'll never get the PA to roll back that equipment.

My solution would be for a blanket ban on zone defenses 5 on 5. Seems radical, but the NBA's the most similar of the big four to hockey and used such a measure to increase offense in the past.

If you can't line up in zone formations, there's nobody in the shooting lanes ever.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
just rewatched some clips of the game. i don't think i've seen an opponent anticipate crosby as well malkin does. lol. i guess that is what happens when you play together for close to a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad