World Champion Finale GDT Sid vs. Geno

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Even more radical, but if i ran hockey i would focus less on tradition and more about what makes out game great.

I've thought this for a while and believe it 100%.

- Smaller ice (about 75% of current rink, essentially a small neutral zone)
- Play the game 3 on 3
- 25 game season
- goalies where way smaller padding, your measurements in pads and out can't be outside a certain range. And the actual leg pads cant come up more than a few inches past the knee.

It would be a fast, open, end to end, balls out hockey with lots of scoring. But i would also emphasize hitting and fighting. Hockey could be way more popular if we emphasized how uniquely amazing it is that in our sport you can talk trash - then actually fight someone. It sounds simple minded, but how many NBA fans wanted Paul Pierce or KG fought? How many NFL players run their mouths after plays?

When hockey is at its best it's almost like classic WWE. Not just wrestling and fighting. But just the way a buzz can build in a crowd, and fans can get exactly what they want. You can out skill, score, technique, hit, and fight a team all in one game. No other sport offers that, and we should highlight it. Not pull it back.

If you don't want to make a minumum of 500K a year (A F'IN CRAZY AMOUNT OF MONEY) AT MINIMUM! - Due to head injuries, someone else will. Though i will say, i think 3 on 3 on smaller ice would accomplish something similar to olympic size rinks. You wont be able to run people because there will be more space, less systems, and missing will be very high risk.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
My Nova Scotian boys put in work yesterday wooo

Giroux grabbed Sid's ass confirmed

tumblr_noil554R7o1qbcep7o1_250.gif

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well... it USED to be a dramatic moment in a game... before literally all five guys on the opposing team are scrambling to the house and dropping like they've been shot as soon as the puck goes to the point. It isn't much of a sacrifice when it's a requirement by your coach. It's just job security. Most of these guys wear what amounts to armor on top of the skates, these days, too. So I don't really buy this whole "warrior" angle.

I'm sorry... but it's gotten completely out of control. Watch a Rangers game. Hell... watch most games. It sucks.

Expanding the size of the ice is a pipe dream and everyone knows it. That's not a solution.

Agreed. The hockey purist in me doesn't like the idea of banning players from diving to block shots but it's a systemic problem now. I'm not really sure how you solve the issue, but making the ice bigger isn't remotely realistic while preventing sliding to block a shot is at least feasible.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Even more radical, but if i ran hockey i would focus less on tradition and more about what makes out game great.

- Play the game 3 on 3
- 25 game season
- goalies where way smaller padding, your measurements in pads and out can't be outside a certain range. And the actual leg pads cant come up more than a few inches past the knee.

It would be a fast, open, end to end, balls out hockey with lots of scoring. But i would also emphasize hitting and fighting. Hockey could be way more popular if we emphasized how uniquely amazing it is that in our sport you can talk trash - then actually fight someone. It sounds simple minded, but how many NBA fans wanted Paul Pierce or KG fought? How many NFL players run their mouths after plays?

When hockey is at its best it's almost like classic WWE. Not just wrestling and fighting. But just the way a buzz can build in a crowd, and fans can get exactly what they want. You can out skill, score, technique, hit, and fight a team all in one game. No other sport offers that, and we should highlight it. Not pull it back.

If you don't want to make a minumum of 500K a year (A F'IN CRAZY AMOUNT OF MONEY) AT MINIMUM! - Due to head injuries, someone else will. Though i will say, i think 3 on 3 on smaller ice would accomplish something similar to olympic size rinks. You wont be able to run people because there will be more space, less systems, and missing will be very high risk.

That's not hockey. Go create another league for that if you want.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

- Play the game 3 on 3
- 25 game season

Awful. Reporting this post.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Anyone else not give a **** that the Russians left during Canada's celebrating? I feel like it says more about Canadians making a big stink about it (well, IIHF making the initial 'stink' but a lot of Canadians jumping on the bandwagon afterwards).

I don't need my opponent to watch me celebrate, in fact, I'd prefer that they leave so I don't have to feel like a dick for cheering or feel like I should tone it down for their sake. Russia had a good tournament, "won" Silver, why subject them to the pain of watching us celebrate? Who gets off on that?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Anyone else not give a **** that the Russians left during Canada's celebrating? I feel like it says more about Canadians making a big stink about it (well, IIHF making the initial 'stink' but a lot of Canadians jumping on the bandwagon afterwards).

I don't need my opponent to watch me celebrate, in fact, I'd prefer that they leave so I don't have to feel like a dick for cheering or feel like I should tone it down for their sake. Russia had a good tournament, "won" Silver, why subject them to the pain of watching us celebrate? Who gets off on that?

I can kinda see it from each side.

On one hand... these guys know what the deal is. I'm pretty well certain they were fully aware that leaving the ice wasn't the "right" thing to do. If players like Ovechkin and Malkin are attempting to keep them out on the ice... then that has to be for a reason. It sucks they just got their ***** handed to them. It sucks that the ceremony is drawn out but if the shoe were on the other foot... I'm quite certain TR would be furious. It's just being kind of a sore loser. And to add fuel to the fire... Russia already has a bit of a reputation for not being the best sports in the world. So this incident is going to draw extra attention/ire because of that.

On the other hand... I mean... when is enough enough? If they did the "right" thing... they would have been standing around on the ice watching the other team bask in the glory of embarrassing the hell out of them for something like 40 minutes when it's all said and done. That seems poorly organized and a little ridiculous. From that POV (especially imagining yourself in the same situation)... I can understand wanting to crawl back to the confines of your own locker room to brood, or whatever.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, I honestly don't really care that much about it either. They wanted to get off the ice. Who can blame them? They just got destroyed and then had to stand there for 15 minutes while Canada celebrated.

Nice to see Ovechkin and Malkin linger around a bit longer, though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

On one hand... these guys know what the deal is. I'm pretty well certain they were fully aware that leaving the ice wasn't the "right" thing to do. If players like Ovechkin and Malkin are attempting to keep them out on the ice... then that has to be for a reason. It sucks they just got their ***** handed to them. It sucks that the ceremony is drawn out but if the shoe were on the other foot... I'm quite certain TR would be furious. It's just being kind of a sore loser. And to add fuel to the fire... Russia already has a bit of a reputation for not being the best sports in the world. So this incident is going to draw extra attention/ire because of that.

On the other hand... I mean... when is enough enough? If they did the "right" thing... they would have been standing around on the ice watching the other team bask in the glory of embarrassing the hell out of them for something like 40 minutes when it's all said and done. That seems poorly organized and a little ridiculous. From that POV (especially imagining yourself in the same situation)... I can understand wanting to crawl back to the confines of your own locker room to brood, or whatever.

This.

I too, can see it from both sides. I personally didnt care either way. Its a big deal about nothing.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
If Canada left this ice before the Russian anthem had Russia won it would have been an even bigger deal given it would have been more out of character.

It was dumb. I don't necessarily care or feel disrespected or anything, it reflected they were upset. We won, that's what matters. But it's embarrassing for them and goes against tradition and they were rightfully fined for it. Imagine if this was the Olympics (I know it's not but it's still an International tournament).

I'm glad some of the NHLers like Geno, Ovie, and Tarasenko stayed. They have respect for their NHL colleagues and teammates. I think it was mostly the KHL guys that left. Whatever.

So sad seeing Geno looking down afterwards. He has a had a rough go of it given the failed hometown Olympics, the Penguins lack of success, have ****** linemates, etc etc.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
So sad seeing Geno looking down afterwards. He has a had a rough go of it given the failed hometown Olympics, the Penguins lack of success, have ****** linemates, etc etc.

That photo of Geno and Sid embracing on the ice with Geno looking so sad and even Sid looks dejected even for just that moment. It's heartbreaking. It says everything. Makes me like them both all the more.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

As a Canadian, I can see both sides as well.

But, can you imagine (of course, it would never happen) if the American team had been in the final and done this? OMG, it would be a global outrage.

I've always felt the rest of the World love to jump on the US for just about anything.

Anyways, helluva tourney, and man, that Sid. Wow!! Oilers fan here, how about that trio of Sid, Hall and Ebs, eh! Spetac!!!

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site

it reminds of the '09 cup finals, when the wings left the ice early and didn't get to shake hands with a few pens including Sid because they were busy celebrating. some people bashed Sid and some people bashed lidstrom.

just a bunch of pointless whining then and now as well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not sure why there is such an issue about the Russians leaving the ice thing...idiocy I suppose with people needing something to whine about.

I do hope the NHL looks at rink size, but not to the International size, but rather take th NHL size and the International size, split the difference and use that as the new size. It's a small enough adjustment that could make a decent impact and not ruin it too much.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Disagree with you. Ice surface solves the safety portion. More room takes away from those crazy hits you see along the boards. Skaters have way more room to dodge the hits and defense have to play waaaaay differently due to all that extra space.

I agree with you that the main reason the NHL isn't open is due to the rules. I also agree with you that they want clutch/grab for safety. I disagree that opening the ice up. That would solve a lot of the safety issues.

Also, I am 100% for the NHL going the NFL route. Start fining and suspending rough hits. Sure... even legal ones like the NFL did. It seemed ****ing stupid at the time, but the game is a lot safer and there are plenty of quotes from James Harrison about him changing his game because he knew he couldn't hit as hard or as vicious.

It sucks... it's definitely a pansy approach, but the speed of the game is insane compared to 20 years ago. Truth is.. the fastest skaters of 20 years ago couldn't keep up at the pace the game is played at today. EVERYONE hits. EVERYONE blocks shots.

My proposal:
- Expand the ice
- Call the rules on obstruction
- Fine/Suspend vicious hits to the head or leaping off skates
- Remove 75% of post-whistle ****. Punches thrown are immediate 10 minute misconducts. Words are fine... but the rabbit punching, pushing (outside of clearing the net), slashes, crosschecks (especially), hacks, etc. are officially out of the game. 10 minute misconducts at first - fines/suspension follow if persist.
- Fighting move to 10 minute misconducts. (I'm hesitant on this but I read a really nice proposal years back that made a very valid point. I'll try to find the article)

Agree with everything except expanding the ice. All it does is create more areas where you can't score from and slows down the pace of the game.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Agree with everything except expanding the ice. All it does is create more areas where you can't score from and slows down the pace of the game.
But it's more space to create plays. Even if international ice doesn't necessarily lead to more goals per game, it leads to more interesting hockey plays and more of a flowing game, in my opinion. More east-west passing, more creative breakouts, more creative cycling, etc. It just makes the game more aesthetically interesting.

But then again, I'm one of those boring soccer fans, so maybe take my words with a grain of salt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Soccer might actually be more fun to watch if they made their field smaller. In any case, I think a small increase in rink size would be a huge benefit, but having coaches have 3 challenges would be even better with getting the refs to start calling it better. I feel like having one used on you would make you feel like a tool when review reverses it whereas before they just did it their way and that was that. That might help change the obstruction creeping back in full force.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Soccer might actually be more fun to watch if they made their field smaller. In any case, I think a small increase in rink size would be a huge benefit, but having coaches have 3 challenges would be even better with getting the refs to start calling it better. I feel like having one used on you would make you feel like a tool when review reverses it whereas before they just did it their way and that was that. That might help change the obstruction creeping back in full force.

I think 3 is too many. One is enough. You get it right you get another, you get it wrong that's it. You don't want people slowing the game tactically by calling for reviews towards the end of the game.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Enough about the Russians walking off or game changes...

Has Geno added Plotnikov to his instagram and facebook and made a Penguins from Madagascar meme nickname for him yet?

I think 3 is too many. One is enough. You get it right you get another, you get it wrong that's it. You don't want people slowing the game tactically by calling for reviews towards the end of the game.

I like that actually, you get it right, you keep that challenge, if you get it wrong you lose it for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00