Post-Game Talk: Won it for Patty Quinn! Leafs beat Caps 6-2

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Makes no sense to me, Winnik and Santa, I'll do a Cherry. God love, are dime a dozen UFA's each summer.

Gardiner, Kadri, Bernier, are more logical deep cap hits that affect Franson re-signing. Not dime a dozen UFAs.

It's really smart of these guys and their agents of course, to sign a one year contract in Toronto when that's all they are being offered a decent season gets magnified ala Raymond into a nice contract. So it may be advantage to just continue to pick these guys off cheap year in year out.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
It's really smart of these guys and their agents of course, to sign a one year contract in Toronto when that's all they are being offered a decent season gets magnified ala Raymond into a nice contract. So it may be advantage to just continue to pick these guys off cheap year in year out.

Hopefully that's managements plan. No need to overspend for depth players. Tons out there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

especially because so far, it totally works out on both ends.
if it doesn't work out for us, it';s just a million - either, bench them, trade them, or send them down.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I get what you are saying, but I feel like Leafs should at least send out feelers to see what Winnik and Santorelli are looking for. They are good pieces to have if we can get them on decent deals.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I get what you are saying, but I feel like Leafs should at least send out feelers to see what Winnik and Santorelli are looking for. They are good pieces to have if we can get them on decent deals.

I don't think they will, unless they say they want to play for the Leafs. (nonis's standard mode of operation)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On Pat Quinn, I thought the pre game ceremony was very respectful and well done. Usually Montreal does a good job at these things but Toronto MLSE did a good one tonight.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Makes no sense to me, Winnik and Santa, I'll do a Cherry. God love, are dime a dozen UFA's each summer.

Gardiner, Kadri, Bernier, are more logical deep cap hits that affect Franson re-signing. Not dime a dozen UFAs.

To be honest I agree to a certain extent. The Leafs have been trying to go after bottom 6 guys from free agency for years and haven't had much success.

Guys like Jamal Mayers, Wayne Primeau, Fredrik Sjostrom, Mike Brown, Colby Armstrong, David Steckel and Jay McClement were all pretty highly touted for their bottom 6 play but turned out to be pretty bad afterall in one way or another.

So far, Santa and Winnik have been doing a pretty good job and feel like they improved the bottom 6 offensively and defensively. They might even be the best bottom 6 guys we've gotten from FA's in a very long time. (Same with Komarov to a certain extent)

I doubt we find guys like Santa and Winnik next summer who are UFA's, mainly because of the situation of which they came in. Would I resign them for more? That's the real question.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I love what Santa and Winnik bring to the team, but this is what separates good teams from bad ones. They know when to cut bait. I am sure there will be other bottom 6 players that are cheap that we can sign next summer. Franson, a D man that is producing at a 57 point pace, who is also 6'5 and come into his own this year. Well we better hope he takes the home discount. 5M and I will have him back. More than this, then good bye, same applies to Bernier, Kadri, Winnik, Santa. Bad salaries will kill a team going fwd.

garce

Mar 20, 2010

I like both, but think that Winnik would be my priority. Size skating and PK ability a guy you want on the ice when you have a 1 goal lead face off in your end 10 seconds left.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
As I said great question now I've done a 180. I would hope as a team built towards contending these type of guys take a discount, term as opposed to cash.

thank you :) like i said - it was just to generate some talk, and think, because all three of them are playing very well, and Hughson (i know, shock, eh?) said something about all three. I'm just really curious how it plays out [strictly looking at this via. UFAness].

I mean, i don 't think Franson can be addressed, until Jake is addressed. and even then, this means the Leafs will be trying to do this in january (to sign him) vs. waiting until July, (which is what I'd do. i mean at the very least you know the number is going to start with 5 in both term and cash).

this whole thing will be intriguing, that's for sure.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
To be honest I agree to a certain extent. The Leafs have been trying to go after bottom 6 guys from free agency for years and haven't had much success.

Guys like Jamal Mayers, Wayne Primeau, Fredrik Sjostrom, Mike Brown, Colby Armstrong, David Steckel and Jay McClement were all pretty highly touted for their bottom 6 play but turned out to be pretty bad afterall in one way or another.

So far, Santa and Winnik have been doing a pretty good job and feel like they improved the bottom 6 offensively and defensively. They might even be the best bottom 6 guys we've gotten from FA's in a very long time. (Same with Komarov to a certain extent)

I doubt we find guys like Santa and Winnik next summer who are UFA's, mainly because of the situation of which they came in. Would I resign them for more? That's the real question.

I like both, but this is why you do not draft bottom 6 players. There are apt to be some that you can get cheap this summer. It happens every year, this is the good thing about not overpaying for role players. Komarov is easy to play with, when he went down, Santa was less noticeable infact the entire line was less noticeable.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I like both, but this is why you do not draft bottom 6 players. There are apt to be some that you can get cheap this summer. It happens every year, this is the good thing about not overpaying for role players. Komarov is easy to play with, when he went down, Santa was less noticeable infact the entire line was less noticeable.

didn't we draft Komarov though?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
didn't we draft Komarov though?

We drafted him, but he could have signed elsewhere if he wanted last season. Luckily for us we paid him 2.9, which most thought was too much, me included, but he is looking like he is worth it.

I think as long as he is around, he will drive the 3rd line. Put any 2 players with Komarov and that line looks good. This is why I don't care if Winnik or Santa are back or not. To me it's Komarov that makes his line go.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Washington was terrible, a half ass effort

They weren't that bad, I thought we were just that much better. They had some chances but Bernier made some good saves, aside from the 2nd goal.

We got some good bounces this game too, especially on the first goal.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
We drafted him, but he could have signed elsewhere if he wanted last season. Luckily for us we paid him 2.9, which most thought was too much, me included, but he is looking like he is worth it.

I think as long as he is around, he will drive the 3rd line. Put any 2 players with Komarov and that line looks good. This is why I don't care if Winnik or Santa are back or not. To me it's Komarov that makes his line go.
Seen Gauthier play several times could see him and Leo being very successful linemates. To make the cap work work you're going to need a couple of young entry contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like both, but think that Winnik would be my priority. Size skating and PK ability a guy you want on the ice when you have a 1 goal lead face off in your end 10 seconds left.

Yeah.

The thing with Santorelli that makes him more valuable than just his on-ice effectiveness is his versatility. We could slot him in anywhere from 2RW to 4C with success, which makes us more resilient to injuries and more flexible when we struggle.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Along with all the other freaky stuff that happened, Washington's first goal was at 9:23. So many coincidences tonight.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
washington played 3 in 4 nights and the 2nd game of aback to back. they were exhausted.

Meanwhile the Leafs only played once this week, so they're well rested

The should have had the jump in this game and they did (even though I missed the second and third periods) .. Will have to catch up to see the rest

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00