Post-Game Talk: Won it for Patty Quinn! Leafs beat Caps 6-2

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Game
It's easy to get tricked by the scoreline on this one, but I think we had a rather good effort up against a team that for the most part was awful, and didn't have a goalie who could bail them out. Nevertheless, there is a certain solid feeling to this team that certainly wasn't there last season, and hasn't been there with consistency until the humiliation suffered in the Preds game. Outside the first line, the team really plays like a unit giving each other support all over the ice. It's nice to see.

Great
Franson - After last year I wanted him gone, but you can't deny that he and Phaneuf does a very good job as a first pairing. Tonight was a very solid effort on both sides of the ice, topped off with another goal.
Bozak - I have to say that I've been out to lunch on my ratings on him. I've put him a bit lower because I've felt that while he has been very productive, Kessel has been the one driving the play for him. Then you realize that the two actually haven't been assisting each other very much, so I must have got that wrong. Tonight he could have had a hattrick, played well defensively (which he hasn't really done this season) and was one of our best forwards.

Good
Bernier - The Wilson goal was completely on him. It was very weak. But Bernier had a whole bunch of very good saves and a busy work load overall, so with an average effort from him this game would have way more close.
Phaneuf - A little quiet tonight, but solid. The kind of effort that doesn't really get him mentioned a lot on a play-by-play, but with solid plays that has a good effect on the ice.
Gardiner - Seemed to simplify his game, had the puck on his stick less than he's done usually. That's good though, that's how you break out of a slump. Was solid tonight, perhaps his best performance this year defensively. Held the blueline on a number of occasions really well, as well. Stood up to Ovi after the shot on Leo, which was suicidal but good on him.
Rielly - Was very noticeable in his ability to find the puck and move it up the ice. While Gardiner is simplifying, Rielly is finding confidence enough to take a bigger role. Both things are good for our team, both short term and long term.
JVR - Had a good night, drove the play a lot on that first unit with power and skill. He still cheats way too much on his defensive responsibilities, so I'll probably continue to hope that the first line gets split up eventually.
Kadri - I love his commitment to the two-way game. He's an improved player for sure, and it feels like his production is starting to come as well. Tailored off as the game went on, but Naz is certainly growing up.
Komarov - Is this guy ever not good? Just his defensive game, physicality and PK ability keeps him close to this grade on pretty much any night, and add to that good five on five play and it's no wonder why most grade him A+ so far this season.
Clarkson - Clarkson with confidence is fun. He's actually pretty good at protecting the puck, and when he has confidence he can do some nice moves. We already know he's got a good shot. I just wish he would not try to do fancy passes. Ever.

Average
Holzer - He was good last game, and he was almost matching that performance tonight as well. Big block on the SH, solid game mostly. Late in the game he was starting to make mistakes though, was out of position a few times and so on. With an average Gardiner performance defensively, that could have cost us. Still close to good though.
Robidas - Like Holzer he was close to a good grade, but also fell off a bit as the game went along. Still, he is definitely trending in the right direction. What on earth has happened to his shot though?
Kessel - It's not often you see Kessel being the least impactful player on the top line on a productive night, but that's how it was tonight. Had some good plays like he always does, and wasn't a liability defensively. I was annoyed at how he played scared early in the game, giving up a few icings that were completely unnecessary.
Santorelli - Always useful, always smart and doing the right things. Seemed to fight the puck a bit tonight. He's the only player that I've never had as below average in my ratings, since Komarov had a quiet night in one of the bad games from the early season.
Winnik - Like Santorelli he had a bit off an off night when things didn't go his way, but like Santorelli he is useful either way. Actually had a bad effort on one shift, and a giveaway (where he backchecked really well to make up for it). Not worth noting really, except that with Winnik it's such a rarity that it is notable.
Booth - Played a simple, safe game with plenty of hustle when given ice time. Eventually you want to see him do more, but I'm fine with his effort tonight.
Smith - He's a standout in terms of skill compared to the rest of the team right now, you can see he's basically an AHLer. His performance on the PK brings him to average though.
Lupul - Mr Saturday Night scores of course, and he showed a lot of hustle offensively a few times. The thing with Lupul as a Leaf going forward is whether or not he can make a commitment to his two-way game like Kadri has done, and so far this season he hasn't really done that. Had two bad giveaways in the defensive zone and a bunch of times when he made weak plays or was out of position.

Bad
Holland - I didn't really like Holland's game tonight. He was invisible for the most part offensively, and had a rather lackluster game defensively from what I saw. Still worried that his good stretch of games is not sustainable.

Awful
-

welcome back, Nith :handclap:

i agree. there were some sloppy bits to the game, but they didn't freak out which is a good thing. usually those escalate and things snowball, but they didn't.

:) i agree with your analyze :)

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago
Alex Ovechkin came over to the #leafs dressing room to chat with Leo Komarov after the
game. He says "I didn't mean to hit him."

You saw Komarov coming, and you turned into him to hit him

ugh. I'd respect OV more if he just said, look, I'm sorry, I let my emotions get the best of me.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Alex Ovechkin came over to the #leafs dressing room to chat with Leo Komarov after the

As time goes on the Leafs are going to have to address the Wilsons of the league. Not advocating the return to a Orr type, a 4th liner who can play needs to brought in to neutralize the Wilson,Prust types. Jordan Nolan or someone like that.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Not a bad idea, but I would only do it if we can get something half decent back for Gardiner (2nd round pick) and Franson is willing to sign at a reasonable price.

Considering how hard line his agent was in the negotiations before last season, I think he more likely just ends up going to the highest bidder in a massive overpayment.

I doubt Grads value has dropped so much that the most we get for him is 2nd round pick.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Why would he apologize? Just move on.

WordsOfWisdumb*

Game
It's easy to get tricked by the scoreline on this one, but I think we had a rather good effort up against a team that for the most part was awful, and didn't have a goalie who could bail them out. Nevertheless, there is a certain solid feeling to this team that certainly wasn't there last season, and hasn't been there with consistency until the humiliation suffered in the Preds game. Outside the first line, the team really plays like a unit giving each other support all over the ice. It's nice to see.

Great
Franson - After last year I wanted him gone, but you can't deny that he and Phaneuf does a very good job as a first pairing. Tonight was a very solid effort on both sides of the ice, topped off with another goal.
Bozak - I have to say that I've been out to lunch on my ratings on him. I've put him a bit lower because I've felt that while he has been very productive, Kessel has been the one driving the play for him. Then you realize that the two actually haven't been assisting each other very much, so I must have got that wrong. Tonight he could have had a hattrick, played well defensively (which he hasn't really done this season) and was one of our best forwards.

Good
Bernier - The Wilson goal was completely on him. It was very weak. But Bernier had a whole bunch of very good saves and a busy work load overall, so with an average effort from him this game would have way more close.
Phaneuf - A little quiet tonight, but solid. The kind of effort that doesn't really get him mentioned a lot on a play-by-play, but with solid plays that has a good effect on the ice.
Gardiner - Seemed to simplify his game, had the puck on his stick less than he's done usually. That's good though, that's how you break out of a slump. Was solid tonight, perhaps his best performance this year defensively. Held the blueline on a number of occasions really well, as well. Stood up to Ovi after the shot on Leo, which was suicidal but good on him.
Rielly - Was very noticeable in his ability to find the puck and move it up the ice. While Gardiner is simplifying, Rielly is finding confidence enough to take a bigger role. Both things are good for our team, both short term and long term.
JVR - Had a good night, drove the play a lot on that first unit with power and skill. He still cheats way too much on his defensive responsibilities, so I'll probably continue to hope that the first line gets split up eventually.
Kadri - I love his commitment to the two-way game. He's an improved player for sure, and it feels like his production is starting to come as well. Tailored off as the game went on, but Naz is certainly growing up.
Komarov - Is this guy ever not good? Just his defensive game, physicality and PK ability keeps him close to this grade on pretty much any night, and add to that good five on five play and it's no wonder why most grade him A+ so far this season.
Clarkson - Clarkson with confidence is fun. He's actually pretty good at protecting the puck, and when he has confidence he can do some nice moves. We already know he's got a good shot. I just wish he would not try to do fancy passes. Ever.

Average
Holzer - He was good last game, and he was almost matching that performance tonight as well. Big block on the SH, solid game mostly. Late in the game he was starting to make mistakes though, was out of position a few times and so on. With an average Gardiner performance defensively, that could have cost us. Still close to good though.
Robidas - Like Holzer he was close to a good grade, but also fell off a bit as the game went along. Still, he is definitely trending in the right direction. What on earth has happened to his shot though?
Kessel - It's not often you see Kessel being the least impactful player on the top line on a productive night, but that's how it was tonight. Had some good plays like he always does, and wasn't a liability defensively. I was annoyed at how he played scared early in the game, giving up a few icings that were completely unnecessary.
Santorelli - Always useful, always smart and doing the right things. Seemed to fight the puck a bit tonight. He's the only player that I've never had as below average in my ratings, since Komarov had a quiet night in one of the bad games from the early season.
Winnik - Like Santorelli he had a bit off an off night when things didn't go his way, but like Santorelli he is useful either way. Actually had a bad effort on one shift, and a giveaway (where he backchecked really well to make up for it). Not worth noting really, except that with Winnik it's such a rarity that it is notable.
Booth - Played a simple, safe game with plenty of hustle when given ice time. Eventually you want to see him do more, but I'm fine with his effort tonight.
Smith - He's a standout in terms of skill compared to the rest of the team right now, you can see he's basically an AHLer. His performance on the PK brings him to average though.
Lupul - Mr Saturday Night scores of course, and he showed a lot of hustle offensively a few times. The thing with Lupul as a Leaf going forward is whether or not he can make a commitment to his two-way game like Kadri has done, and so far this season he hasn't really done that. Had two bad giveaways in the defensive zone and a bunch of times when he made weak plays or was out of position.

Bad
Holland - I didn't really like Holland's game tonight. He was invisible for the most part offensively, and had a rather lackluster game defensively from what I saw. Still worried that his good stretch of games is not sustainable.

Awful
-

Holy smokes! :amazed: Now THAT's a post game analysis! :handclap:

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Game

Great

Good

Average

Bad

Awful
-

Pretty spot on analysis. Well done.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Game

Great

Good

Average

Bad

Awful
-
Can't disagree with much starting to look forward to your posts.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
welcome back, Nith :handclap:

i agree. there were some sloppy bits to the game, but they didn't freak out which is a good thing. usually those escalate and things snowball, but they didn't.

:) i agree with your analyze :)

I chose a good game for a comeback :laugh:

Usually it's after the bad losses you get people coming after me for thinking someone was actually decent.

Holy smokes! :amazed: Now THAT's a post game analysis! :handclap:

Pretty spot on analysis. Well done.

Can't disagree with much starting to look forward to your posts.

Wow, a lot of positive feedback tonight.

Thanks guys!

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
As time goes on the Leafs are going to have to address the Wilsons of the league. Not advocating the return to a Orr type, a 4th liner who can play needs to brought in to neutralize the Wilson,Prust types. Jordan Nolan or someone like that.

I'd rather the Leafs roll four lines that can actually play hockey. That is a better way to win hockey games.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Leafs 23rd game,
Recorded 23 SOG,
Scored with 23 sec left in 1st
Scored 23 sec into 2nd
Scored 23 seconds after Washington
Pat Quinn wore #23

Those are some ****ing freaky stats tonight.

Woh… This is actually ****ed

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 11m11 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Holzer: "I actually thought I got Wilson. I was like, 'Oh, nice!' Then I saw the linesman down & I was like, 'Oh, wrong guy.'"

Love Holzer lmao

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd rather the Leafs roll four lines that can actually play hockey. That is a better way to win hockey games.

I wouldn't be averse to going for a guy like Clifford who can play on a solid fourth line while also being the kind of guy you can go to for a response.

The other alternative is going all out Detroit, just ignore all those situations so much that you end of reverse-trolling the opposition. Kind of like Komarov does.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I wouldn't be averse to going for a guy like Clifford who can play on a solid fourth line while also being the kind of guy you can go to for a response.

The other alternative is going all out Detroit, just ignore all those situations so much that you end of reverse-trolling the opposition. Kind of like Komarov does.

Whole bottom 6 filled with Komarov type players would be ideal and hilarious.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not to be a debbie downer but I doubt we get many games where the Leafs score 6 goals on 23 shots. They played well but they'll need to play better if they want a good record the up coming home stretch.

I wouldn't read too much into that though.

The shot totals were pretty close up until the 3rd period. And you should almost expect the trailing team to come out firing everything at the net. I would say there were only a handful of solid scoring chances for the Caps though.

Great effort by the boys tonight and glad to see a stronger Bernier in the net.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 11m11 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Holzer: "I actually thought I got Wilson. I was like, 'Oh, nice!' Then I saw the linesman down & I was like, 'Oh, wrong guy.'"

Love Holzer lmao

Lol that was pretty funny.

I like what we are doing now. Fight when needed, nothing more.

garce

Mar 20, 2010

Me too, that's why I said someone who can play on the fourth. If Leo is going to play the way he does he's going to get run, and your stars are going to get run. If you have confidence that the refs and the league are going to police it great. I saw Wilson running around all night he wasn't engaged nor should he have been until Komarov had been hurt. Holzer took one for the team but it should have been addressed earlier.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Leafs 23rd game,
Recorded 23 SOG,
Scored with 23 sec left in 1st
Scored 23 sec into 2nd
Scored 23 seconds after Washington
Pat Quinn wore #23

Those are some ****ing freaky stats tonight.

Yeah the Leafs usually blow the game when honoring someone too. So the fact they won is impressive, but those stats are quite unusual.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga

Why not both? :naughty:

Troll and if things get out of hand, we got our enforcer-hybrid.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
lol that wasn't an option given ;) it's an either or.
is it either Franson. OR. Santa/Winnie

I think this is more realistic, Leafs will decide on Franny or Gards. The hope was for Gardiner to be a top 4 guy, some even top 2 guy. Franson is this now. So Gards or Franny is the more logical equation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad