Post-Game Talk: Won it for Patty Quinn! Leafs beat Caps 6-2

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Gardiner did. Luckily nothing came off it, or we'd have to find a new LD for the team.

Gardiner went after Ovi so good on him and Holzer (even though he can't fight) answered the bell against the much tougher Wilson. Holzer ended up KO'ing the linesman.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gardiner went after Ovi so good on him and Holzer (even though he can't fight) answered the bell against the much tougher Wilson. Holzer ended up KO'ing the linesman.

Same linesman that ignored the Ovi hit funnily enough.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It must have been in December and January that we only put up something like 2 regulation wins or whatever.

4 OT/SO out of 14 wins, compared to only one OT/SO win so far this season.

All though being 1/4 in extra time isn't good, at last we're getting the wins in regulation and we're not giving up many extra points.

The biggest benefit is ROW wins this year as opposed to last year as that is the first tie breaker in the standings.

Last year Leafs had among the highest SO wins and thus among the lowest ROW record, which decreased their playoff odds.

Last year however they only had 1 OT/SO loss after 23 games and this year they have 3 so we are currently losing more in extra time.

Essentially winning better but losing more.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The biggest benefit is ROW wins this year as opposed to last year as that is the first tie breaker in the standings.

Last year Leafs had among the highest SO wins and thus among the lowest ROW record, which decreased their playoff odds.

Last year however they only had 1 OT/SO loss after 23 games and this year they have 3 so we are currently losing more in extra time.

Essentially winning better but losing more.

This team will go on a losing streak again (every team does) so be ready everyone.
The key is taking advantage of teams when you can, winning at home and competing every night.
Grab as many points as you can every night, we will need them at the end.
Teams that were better than us last year in the standings, Ottawa,Philly,NJ,Washington,Columbus are struggling. Don't let them pass us.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The refs can consult with them though on what they saw. Or is that just against the Leafs?
Certain situations, like if a penalty is caused on the same play as a goal, double minor, but not interference or a penalty like that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This team will go on a losing streak again (every team does) so be ready everyone.
The key is taking advantage of teams when you can, winning at home and competing every night.
Teams that were better than us last year in the standings, Ottawa,Philly,NJ,Washington,Columbus are struggling. Don't let them pass us.

that's the thing.
this month (well next month, tomorrow), I'd like more 'overtime' loses vs. teams who truly don't benefit from us. (ie: dallas, kings, etc etc). if we're winning, great. if we're losing PUSH for that overtime point. Montreal and Tampa are kings at getting the pity point, and we need to do that too

and the key is - let the losing streak be winless in like 5 but we are getting OT/SO points. minimize the loss some how.

seriously, from the2nd week of December until the end of January is basically where our season is won or lost in my opinion. it is disgustingly hard in travel and opponents.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Certain situations, like if a penalty is caused on the same play as a goal, double minor, but not interference or a penalty like that.
Okay. Just wasn't sure because I've seen the refs consult them before making a call before. I stand corrected.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Where are all these threads?? All I ever see her is people ripping into Kadri. This is why we can't have nice things.

We must continue to be patient with him and if he is traded we will regret it similar to every time a young player is shipped out of Toronto.

How can you say the Leafs would regret it without knowing the return?

It is always about the return. Wendel was a loved player, but Sundin for Clark everyday.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
2013-14

After game #23 Record: 14-8-1 = 29 points

2014-15

After game #23 Record: 12-8-3 = 27 points

Leafs are currently 2 points off of last years pace but closing in. Last year Leafs went 0-3-2 in their next 5 games for just +2 more points for 31 points after 28 games. So Leafs need 4 points to tie and 5 points in the next 5 games to move ahead of last years team.

Leafs need to stay healthy now that they have their team in place.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How can you say the Leafs would regret it without knowing the return?

It is always about the return. Wendel was a loved player, but Sundin for Clark everyday.

I've wanted to say this many times. Oftentimes it seems people want to keep or trade players regardless of the return. I don't really get that, it should always be about what's best for the team.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I've wanted to say this many times. Oftentimes it seems people want to keep or trade players regardless of the return. I don't really get that, it should always be about what's best for the team.
Totally agree. No better example than what the Jays just did in trading fan favourite Lawrie for a far better player. For all the criticism about posters here ragging on all the players this place can really get upset if someone talks about moving one of these guys getting ragged on out if his name isn't Clarkson.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Trade value for Kadri/Gardiner going up. Lupul scored last night and Franson playing well. Trade value all up. A team might now say hey these 2 guys would be a great addition and trade you a piece you are missing. We don't know until we see the return. Keep playing well and we aren't forced to make any deals but we will if it's good for the team. That should include anyone.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs need to stay healthy now that they have their team in place.

Consistently in the past the Leafs 1st quarter has been their best quarter usually coming out of the gate strong.

This year they seem to have duplicated that.

Leafs have been fairly fortunate with injuries with only Lupul being of any significance as a loss and talent drop.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

if you look at the standings.... florida actually has the best chance of taking our playoff spot right now.

i didn't even really consider them to be in contention this year...

are they any good? i know they got bolland and ekblad, but i didn't think they would become a playoff team

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
if you look at the standings.... florida actually has the best chance of taking our playoff spot right now.

are they any good? i know they got bolland and ekblad, but i didn't think they would become a playoff team
Haven't the Panthers just said that they are open to moving any of their players whose contracts are expiring. (Not that any team saying that is earth shattering but we are only a quarter of the way through the season so the timing seems weird).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Florida might give us the best return on Lupul as a result. Florida can lock it down defensively. They really need a scorer in the top 6.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Consistently in the past the Leafs 1st quarter has been their best quarter usually coming out of the gate strong.

This year they seem to have duplicated that.

Leafs have been fairly fortunate with injuries with only Lupul being of any significance as a loss and talent drop.

Nov 25-Dec 21 2013
FINAL: CBJ (6) - TOR (0)
FINAL: TOR (5) - PIT (6) S/O
FINAL: TOR (2) - BUF (3) OT
FINAL: TOR (2) - MTL (4)
FINAL: SJS (4) - TOR (2)
FINAL: DAL (2) - TOR (3) OT
FINAL: TOR (4) - OTT (3) S/O
FINAL: BOS (5) - TOR (2)
FINAL: LAK (3) - TOR (1)
FINAL: TOR (3) - STL (6)
FINAL: CHI (3) - TOR (7)
FINAL: TOR (1) - PIT (3)
FINAL: FLA (3) - TOR (1)
FINAL: DET (5) - TOR (4) S/O

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Nov 25-Dec 21 2013
FINAL: CBJ (6) - TOR (0)
FINAL: TOR (5) - PIT (6) S/O
FINAL: TOR (2) - BUF (3) OT
FINAL: TOR (2) - MTL (4)
FINAL: SJS (4) - TOR (2)
FINAL: DAL (2) - TOR (3) OT
FINAL: TOR (4) - OTT (3) S/O
FINAL: BOS (5) - TOR (2)
FINAL: LAK (3) - TOR (1)
FINAL: TOR (3) - STL (6)
FINAL: CHI (3) - TOR (7)
FINAL: TOR (1) - PIT (3)
FINAL: FLA (3) - TOR (1)
FINAL: DET (5) - TOR (4) S/O

This was one of our worst strecthes last year minus the collapse at the end. Right after this, going into the olmypic break is when we started playing solid hockey. Consistency has always been an issue with the leafs, and doesnt look to be any different this year.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Of course they're not happy...the Toronto media is incapable of writing positive articles.
Toronto media has this bizarre notion that their view on the Leafs is the same as the fanbase's. It's them who continually bang on that the fans here couldn't have had the patience to do a proper rebuild. No Leafs fan that I know thinks that way. It's the media that has had a small part in the endless mediocrity of this franchise.

jughead42*

I'm a bit confused about the Kadri love from last night. Wasn't that Franson back on the point for the powerplay by the end of the game? I know that 3 on 1 that Kadri blew was an abomination of hockey, Kadri gets the puck with 2 other players and only one defenceman, so instead of rushing the puck and using his skating Kadri SLOWS DOWN and then doesn't dish the puck to the teammates he's presumably slowing down to allow to catch up, he tries to toe drag and doesn't get a shot, doesn't get a rebound. How is this playing well? He's clueless out there. I saw him collect the puck from his own end a couple times, so credit to him for that development in his game, but the guy is still a pud. He did not have a good game, he did not improve the power play. In fact if the much maligned Clarkson doesn't snipe a nice one, Kadri goes pointless in yet another blowout win and that's with power play time! Driving the offense my ass.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'm a bit confused about the Kadri love from last night. Wasn't that Franson back on the point for the powerplay by the end of the game? I know that 3 on 1 that Kadri blew was an abomination of hockey, Kadri gets the puck with 2 other players and only one defenceman, so instead of rushing the puck and using his skating Kadri SLOWS DOWN and then doesn't dish the puck to the teammates he's presumably slowing down to allow to catch up, he tries to toe drag and doesn't get a shot, doesn't get a rebound. How is this playing well? He's clueless out there. I saw him collect the puck from his own end a couple times, so credit to him for that development in his game, but the guy is still a pud. He did not have a good game, he did not improve the power play. In fact if the much maligned Clarkson doesn't snipe a nice one, Kadri goes pointless in yet another blowout win and that's with power play time! Driving the offense my ass.

I fail to understand how he went pointless, considering he got an assist yesterday

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00