GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Including their match in the preliminary round, USA outshot Canada by a combined 87-54 and outshot them in all 7 periods.

Interestingly enough, Canada hasn't outshot the US in an Olympic / WC game since the Sochi final in 2014.

42-31 W
45-23 L
40-30 W
30-18 W
34-32 W
39-23 W
36-27 W
34-11 W

That's a combined 300 total shots for the US and only 195 for Canada over 8 games. I think that's a good indication of the growing gap between these two programs.
The results are true, but Canada outplayed USA in regulation this game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The results are true, but Canada outplayed USA in regulation this game.

I wouldn't say that at all.

They stopped being aggressive once they went up 2-1 and gave up all the momentum in the game.

It's very common (you see it in the NHL all the time) but it was still disappointing.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Competitive people do not like to loose? News break in other news water is wet! She didn't have any inapproperate out burst or do some outlandish break down display. She did not want silver, because probably to her anything except gold was a loss. It is a corny saying from a comedy movie, but to a lot of competitive people if you are not first you are last. She did nothing wrong, and I do not want to put words in the woman's mouth but she probably viewed silver as a "participation" ribbon of sorts, all she did was remove a medal she didn't come to win. You never see in the NHL players throwing a parade for winning the Cambell or Wales after failing to win the Cup.

People will literally find a way to be offended or point fingers at anything these days.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
They were outshot 33-24 in regulation by the Americans, outshot in every period.
Outshot doesn't = outplayed. Canada had sustained pressure consistently in the first two periods. Not to mention, the USA had way more PPs than Canada which boosted those stats. At 5 on 5, it wasn't close until OT.

I wouldn't say that at all.

They stopped being aggressive once they went up 2-1 and gave up all the momentum in the game.

It's very common (you see it in the NHL all the time) but it was still disappointing.
Until halfway into the 3rd period, Canada had much more pressure on the USA at 5 on 5. I mean if Canada had USA's # of PPs they'd win the shot totals.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Outshot doesn't = outplayed. Canada had sustained pressure consistently in the first two periods. Not to mention, the USA had way more PPs than Canada which boosted those stats. At 5 on 5, it wasn't close until OT.

Well penalties are part of the game, either the US played well enough to force Canada to take penalties, or Canada had too much undisciplined play.

Until halfway into the 3rd period, Canada had much more pressure on the USA at 5 on 5. I mean if Canada had USA's # of PPs they'd win the shot totals.

Considering the US has outshot Canada in 8 consecutive games at the WC and Olympics, and just outshot them 45-23 in the preliminary round, I'm not sure if I buy that. The USA only had 3 more PP's but 11 more shots... I doubt either team was averaging 4 shots per PP....

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Wild in KC

Feb 6, 2016
I personally don't see the issue with her taking off the medal. It might have the initial perception of looking like sour grapes, but when your objective is to play for first, you shouldn't be happy to settle for second. She's a competitor and she was obviously in a very sour mood. I won't personally crucify her for objecting to the fact she and her teammates did not finish what they set out to do. It's not like she threw it on the ice or into the stands.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Shootout is about skill and nerves. Skill and nerves are both a big part of the game. A win in a shootout is no less valuable than in OT.

Not a big fan of women's hockey so who won or who lost is not a big deal for me. But shoot outs in hockey period have to go. It isn't hockey! The most important goal, in the most important game, in the most important tournament is decided by a non hockey play. It makes no sense to me at all. It's wonderful that "Shootout is about skill and nerves" but playing hockey is by far the biggest part of the game hockey.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Not a big fan of women's hockey so who won or who lost is not a big deal for me. But shoot outs in hockey period have to go. It isn't hockey! The most important goal, in the most important game, in the most important tournament is decided by a non hockey play. It makes no sense to me at all. It's wonderful that "Shootout is about skill and nerves" but playing hockey is by far the biggest part of the game hockey.
B.S. It's as "hockey" as it gets, and a very "hockey" play. If you don't like SKILL AND NERVES, watch pond hockey or something.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
B.S. It's as "hockey" as it gets, and a very "hockey" play. If you don't like SKILL AND NERVES, watch pond hockey or something.

I find shootouts entertaining to some degree but the fact that it's one skater and one goalie with no urgency (no one else on the ice) doesn't make it as "hockey" as it gets IMO.

And I get that a penalty shot is within the rules, but the shooter receives that opportunity from a play on the ice.

Anyway, it's silly to complain about it - shootouts aren't going away, it's part of the game. Canada has to get better at them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It does, because the weight of expectations is much bigger in SO than in a simple breakaway in regulation. Do I need to explain why?

Not really, I just disagree with your interpretation.

"Hockey" to me is a team game. Opportunities exist for a 1 on 1 situation but those are created by the other players on the ice.

They should create a "shootout" event at the Olympics to give out more hockey medals. ;)

Maybe a 3 on 3 tournament and a 4 on 4 tournament too. Co-Ed 2 on 2.

Take that Norway and the Netherlands.

Reactions: Kyndig

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I personally don't see the issue with her taking off the medal. It might have the initial perception of looking like sour grapes, but when your objective is to play for first, you shouldn't be happy to settle for second. She's a competitor and she was obviously in a very sour mood. I won't personally crucify her for objecting to the fact she and her teammates did not finish what they set out to do. It's not like she threw it on the ice or into the stands.

while in reality it's most likely disappointment it comes off as disrespect or ungratefulness. there are 35 women on the Korean team that would do just about anything for that silver medal and I'm quite sure she'll be glad to cash the check she gets for that silver medal.
it takes time to appreciate an Olympic silver medal. in the future I'm sure she'll regret removing it like that for the entire world to see.

Reactions: Sentinel

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
while in reality it's most likely disappointment it comes off as disrespect or ungratefulness. there are 35 women on the Korean team that would do just about anything for that silver medal and I'm quite sure she'll be glad to cash the check she gets for that silver medal.
it takes time to appreciate an Olympic silver medal. in the future I'm sure she'll regret removing it like that for the entire world to see.

I think she will appreciate it but 99.99% of the world's population will forget that she took it off briefly.

I am really getting tired of people being outraged by everything all the time.

Shaun White let the flag hit the ground! Outrage! She took her medal off! Outrage!

She's absolutely devastated. She didn't mouth off at anyone, complain to the refs, or hurl it into the stands.

What is coming off these days is a complete lack of sympathy and general forgiveness replaced with the need to judge everyone for everything from the cheap seats on a continuous basis.

Reactions: EdwardBlake

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well penalties are part of the game, either the US played well enough to force Canada to take penalties, or Canada had too much undisciplined play.

Considering the US has outshot Canada in 8 consecutive games at the WC and Olympics, and just outshot them 45-23 in the preliminary round, I'm not sure if I buy that. The USA only had 3 more PP's but 11 more shots... I doubt either team was averaging 4 shots per PP....
Regardless, Canada outplayed USA at 5x5.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Was it just me....
Or did the first usa shooter take two shot attempts?

Should hsve beem waved off

nope, she whiffed and as long as the puck continued to move forward it's still a legal play. kind of like if you wave your stick over the puck but don't actually shoot. the whiff is what messed up Szabados' timing.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
As a Canadian, have no problem with the referees, Canadian coach another story. Have to agree with the posters that said she shortened her bench far too early. She only used 5 defensemen from the middle of the 2nd on with a brief exception for a few seconds on the PP near the end of OT. They only had 6 defense and if you can't trust one of them for over half a game, why is she on the team? It was obvious that the D had no legs left in the OT. As far as forwards go, she used barely 7 in the OT. I kept waiting to see Turnbull who has excellent skill get a shift but to no avail. The coach simply did not trust her team and as a result lost.
That being said congrats to the U.S. with their well earned victory.

I was thinking the same things .I have no idea why she shortened her bench early. I was thinking in the back of my head that if this game goes into OT, that Canada will have more tired legs than the USA. It looked like that from the 3rd Period into OT. Canada looked tired and sloppy, while USA was taking the play to Canada. A horrific line change also did them in, along with bad discipline, and sloppy play overall. USA was the better team.

Time for HC to get rid of this coach, and bring someone else in. No idea why Turnbull did not see more action. A change in coaching and personnel is needed as well. Time to insert more younger, and skilled players, in place of these older veterans, who did not get it done. The USA is the Number 1 team in women's hockey. Canada got lucky in 2014, but as shown in the world championships, and the 4 nations tournament, USA is the best right now. Canada needs to re-evaluate how they do things going forward.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I think she will appreciate it but 99.99% of the world's population will forget that she took it off briefly.

She's absolutely devastated. She didn't mouth off at anyone, complain to the refs, or hurl it into the stands.

What is coming off these days is a complete lack of sympathy and general forgiveness replaced with the need to judge everyone for everything from the cheap seats on a continuous basis.

funny thing was that if she had waited another 10 seconds for the camera to pass her it's likely no one would've noticed. and don't kid yourself, people have been judging since the beginning of time. it's human nature but now with social media it's just broadcast on a bigger stage.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is Lamoureux able to fake and beat a NHL goalie with that shootout goal?

Absolutely.

Some of them have downright amazing hands. The major differences between the men and women are going to be strength and speed. Stickhandling wise? These women are comparable to a LOT of NHL players.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don't understand why they get shit for crying or taking their medals off. They just lost the most important game of their lives that they've worked towards for the last 4 years and they might never get another chance to win it again and even if they do it's not for another 4 years. One of the best players for USA didn't even make the team this year so no medal for her, nothing is guaranteed even with CAN/USA dominating womens hockey. They're not even thinking about the silver medal around their necks, they're thinking about the gold medal game they just lost, their reactions would be completely different if they were given a day to compose themselves.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It's also funny how the poll has gone from about 60/40 for Canada to almost 50/50 now. Nice try guys :P

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: