GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Proud TEAM USA fan. Finally gold. It’s too bad it had to come from a skills competition but thems the rules Congrats to Canada as well. Great team that fought hard and class act in victory or defeat like they always are

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I love the guys who trash women’s hockey because it’s not at the level of men’s hockey.

They are the same people that say it should go away (and that it’s boring because it’s a two team race right now). Wake up.. it’s because this sport needs games like this to grow. It’s not at the level of men’s hockey because it’s not played by nearly as many girls. It has nothing to do with male and female and everything to do with lack of numbers and lack of competition so far.

Not to mention, these girls are most likely far better than those of you critizing and yet you compare them to professional men’s players. These girls are very good hockey players.

You also can’t discredit the entertainment of these Canada and USA games. They are always incredible,

- signed someone who played at a decent level and has played beer league with some of the female players on the three medal winning teams

- end rant

So if I’m to understand correctly, if more girls played hockey women would be at the same level of men?

I’m not sure you understand how biology works.

Regardless, it was an entertaining game that, aside from the OT period, I enjoyed watching. Once OT hit, however, Canada ran out of gas and their lack of coaching became evident.

Congrats to the USA, they deserved the win.

Reactions: Peggy

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
A game needs to end at one point. It's the same for everyone.
It should be continuous OT then. USA probably would have won anyway, but at least it would have been a better moment in my opinion. the point of hockey is for the teams to compete with one another to see which one is better. The shootout doesn't really accomplish this, which is a bit of a let down on the biggest stage in hockey

Reactions: Peggy

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
US outskated Canada the entire game (except for the first half of the 2nd maybe). They deserved to win that. Only caveat is there was a lot of diving going on.

Also, that was fast hockey. I have no idea if it seemed that way because of the bigger ice and smaller players than I'm used to watching but damn that was fast all around. Very fun to watch.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Congrats to USA, they were the better team for sure. Hockey Canada continues its struggles in the shootout (I think That's 5 straight or more shootout losses counting WJC and Olympics)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It should be continuous OT then. USA probably would have won anyway, but at least it would have been a better moment in my opinion. the point of hockey is for the teams to compete with one another to see which one is better. The shootout doesn't really accomplish this, which is a bit of a let down on the biggest stage in hockey
I see where you are coming from but I see it a little different. The goal is not to determine who is best but who wins the game. That way I have few problem with the shoot out. It's not as fulfilling as a spectator but I doubt it makes a huge difference for the athletes if you look at the cheering after wins.

Same reason why I have issues with a tie.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Awesome game from both teams and although I agree that the shootout is a buzzkill, the game went down to the wire because these teams are both so talented. Congrats to both teams and I'm sure we're going to see another sequel in 4 years.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
DWn4X6GV4AABPuE.jpg:large

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I see where you are coming from but I see it a little different. The goal is not to determine who is best but who wins the game. That way I have few problem with the shoot out. It's not as fulfilling as a spectator but I doubt it makes a huge difference for the athletes if you look at the cheering after wins.

Same reason why I have issues with a tie.
You're right, it is to determine who wins the hockey game, and IMO the shootout isn't the game of hockey. Why not decide the winner of the game by playing the actual game?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Glad to see USA win their 4th consecutive world championship, and winning 8 of the last 11. They've proven to be the better team since Sochi, and were again better last night.

Some of you Yanks need to learn better sportsmanship btw

That goes both ways - there are about 20 pages of this thread that are dominated by Canadian fans complaining about the refs. Not exactly the definition of sportsmanship...

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I am sorry that it upsets you that I am excited about these girls winning the gold. Many of the girls live and run girls hockey camps here in Tampa, and the team trains here.
Actually I'm not upset. In fact the US team definitely deserved the win.
And I apologize to you, I thought you had posted the gif of the wrestler f***ing the Canadian flag.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
As a Canadian, have no problem with the referees, Canadian coach another story. Have to agree with the posters that said she shortened her bench far too early. She only used 5 defensemen from the middle of the 2nd on with a brief exception for a few seconds on the PP near the end of OT. They only had 6 defense and if you can't trust one of them for over half a game, why is she on the team? It was obvious that the D had no legs left in the OT. As far as forwards go, she used barely 7 in the OT. I kept waiting to see Turnbull who has excellent skill get a shift but to no avail. The coach simply did not trust her team and as a result lost.
That being said congrats to the U.S. with their well earned victory.

Reactions: Mehar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad