GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As a Canadian, have no problem with the referees, Canadian coach another story. Have to agree with the posters that said she shortened her bench far too early. She only used 5 defensemen from the middle of the 2nd on with a brief exception for a few seconds on the PP near the end of OT. They only had 6 defense and if you can't trust one of them for over half a game, why is she on the team? It was obvious that the D had no legs left in the OT. As far as forwards go, she used barely 7 in the OT. I kept waiting to see Turnbull who has excellent skill get a shift but to no avail. The coach simply did not trust her team and as a result lost.
That being said congrats to the U.S. with their well earned victory.
I agree. The constant bitching about the refs is ridiculous. I don't think the refs favoured one team over the other. But I guess it's human nature to whine when you're being outplayed.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Still in awe at the absolute stones some of those girls had in the shootout.

The Canadian girl with the Forsberg, Kessel answering in a do or die situation with ice in her veins, then Lamoureux finishing it with some straight up sorcery. Unbelievably tense just watching at home.

Reactions: HanSolo

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Glad to see USA win their 4th consecutive world championship, and winning 8 of the last 11. They've proven to be the better team since Sochi, and were again better last night.

That goes both ways - there are about 20 pages of this thread that are dominated by Canadian fans complaining about the refs. Not exactly the definition of sportsmanship...
Just as many US posters complaining about the refs too. Or did you conveniently miss those posts.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Those American girls played so hard, they really did earn the win, shootout or not, they were better.

Hopefully this gives Canada a kick in the behind, and gets them to stat integrating some younger players on the roster.

American fans should be proud, as should Canadians. No matter who won that was a tight game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Including their match in the preliminary round, USA outshot Canada by a combined 87-54 and outshot them in all 7 periods.

Interestingly enough, Canada hasn't outshot the US in an Olympic / WC game since the Sochi final in 2014.

42-31 W
45-23 L
40-30 W
30-18 W
34-32 W
39-23 W
36-27 W
34-11 W

That's a combined 300 total shots for the US and only 195 for Canada over 8 games. I think that's a good indication of the growing gap between these two programs.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Just as many US posters complaining about the refs too. Or did you conveniently miss those posts.

Not nearly as many, but regardless you're making my point that it goes both ways. You yourself haven't shown much sportsmanship the last few pages.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Including their match in the preliminary round, USA outshot Canada by a combined 87-54 and outshot them in all 7 periods.

Interestingly enough, Canada hasn't outshot the US in an Olympic / WC game since the Sochi final in 2014.

42-31 W
45-23 L
40-30 W
30-18 W
34-32 W
39-23 W
36-27 W
34-11 W

That's a combined 300 total shots for the US and only 195 for Canada over 8 games. I think that's a good indication of the growing gap between these two programs.

The US has won 8 of the last 10 world championships.(Canada had won the previous 8)

The US has won the last three 4 nation cups.

The US has won 4 of the last Under 18 tournaments. Since that tournament started in 2008 the US has won it 7 times and Canada 4 times. This year the US won gold and Canada bronze. (Sweden won silver)

If you've watched woman's hockey it's obvious the American speed, puck control, passing and hockey instinct (AKA hockey IQ) has greatly surpassed that of Canada's.

As a Canadian I'd say the face of woman's hockey has passed from Canada to the USA.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Still in awe at the absolute stones some of those girls had in the shootout.

The Canadian girl with the Forsberg, Kessel answering in a do or die situation with ice in her veins, then Lamoureux finishing it with some straight up sorcery. Unbelievably tense just watching at home.

It was such a well done Forseberg too. She actually got real momentum on the one handed flick into the net.

Wild in KC

Feb 6, 2016
I know there's excitement on one side and disappointment on the other, but lets keep it civil. Both teams are incredibly talented and evenly matched. Just the tiniest of mistake is the difference between victory and defeat.

I thought both goalies were fantastic. Don't like the shootout to decide it all. Regardless of the tired legs, thought both teams should play a sudden death. USA definitely looked like the fresher and quicker team, but once again, it just takes one mistake.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Awesome game. Mistake staying up until 2:30 on a work night but it was worth it. Hats off to the Canadian team for making it an intense and exciting game throughout, and although ti feels like you lost the gold, congrats ona well-earned silver. Disappointed a shootout had to decide it, especially given that USA was really controlling the play in OT, but I was happy with the result regardless. Very excited for the rematch in 4 years. Canada will have a chip on their shoulder and USA hockey (both women's and men's) is just getting better.

Reactions: PSUPEN

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
This is embarrassng. This isn't how Canadians act.

Be humble in victory, gracious in defeat.

Some of the American fans can learn from that saying as well. SAD.

couldn't agree more with this post..along those same lines -Chicken burrito can u please delete that video? (Theres a lot of kids reading this as well..)

We know going into a game whether its the OHL or NHL or the Olympics , that there are 3 periods of play, if needed OT, then possibly a shootout to decide the winner ...While we may not like it "Them There Rules" are the same no matter who is playing

Congrats to both teams though - best game ever

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Meh, I thought she was going to give the cameraman the finger or something.

Gold or nothing in Canada.

At least she didn’t throw it into the crowd like that World Junior silver medallist.

Yeah I don't see the problem, she just removed the medal from her neck. No big deal.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
The women's gold medal game is one of my favourite parts of the olympics. Its just wonderful to watch these very skilled and very evenly matched teams play one another with 4 years of work on the line. Both countries should be proud of their teams and how well they played.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
DWpnU3lVMAAjeFW.jpg:large

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah I don't see the problem, she just removed the medal from her neck. No big deal.

I remember reading multiple studies that indicate high performing people often hate losing more than they love winning. I don't mind her not wanting to have a reminder that she lost hanging around her neck. I'm one of those USA USA USA chanting fans and I don't see any reason to be offended by her taking that medal off. Losing sucks...especially when it's such an epic game.

Reactions: Loosie and NyQuil

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Meh, I thought she was going to give the cameraman the finger or something.

Gold or nothing in Canada.

At least she didn’t throw it into the crowd like that World Junior silver medallist.

I'd rather a bronze than silver. At least you win that. No one has ever won a silver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad