GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
I don't understand why they get **** for crying or taking their medals off. They just lost the most important game of their lives that they've worked towards for the last 4 years and they might never get another chance to win it again and even if they do it's not for another 4 years. One of the best players for USA didn't even make the team this year so no medal for her, nothing is guaranteed even with CAN/USA dominating womens hockey. They're not even thinking about the silver medal around their necks, they're thinking about the gold medal game they just lost, their reactions would be completely different if they were given a day to compose themselves.

I didn't post the picture of the Canadians crying etc after the game as a slight against them in any way. I thought it, coupled with the images of jubilant American players, showed how much the game meant to both sides.

As they used to say:
The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat!

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What an incredible game and moment in hockey.

So glad I stayed up until 2:30 AM to see it through to the end.

Won't be forgetting this one any time soon!

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Canada came out in the third and tried protecting the lead. Get the puck deep, one man in (maybe two) and change the lines - rinse and repeat. The tying goal was just that. OT was worse, throw the puck in and change. Playing to not lose. The coaching was awful, I fully expect a coaching change for team Canada.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Regardless, Canada outplayed USA at 5x5.

1st period was fairly even despite USA being sloppy with the puck.
2nd period was all Canada.
3rd period was Canada until about 10 minutes left.
USA dominated from that point on until the end of OT, where Canada barely sniffed a scoring chance.

I've got it 30 minutes Canada outplayed USA, 30 minutes USA outplayed Canada, and the rest even.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Canada came out in the third and tried protecting the lead. Get the puck deep, one man in (maybe two) and change the lines - rinse and repeat. The tying goal was just that. OT was worse, throw the puck in and change. Playing to not lose. The coaching was awful, I fully expect a coaching change for team Canada.

I said the same thing. They looked like the Ottawa Senators trying to protect that lead. I think they used a 1-1-3 at times. It backfires so damn often.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
When people agree to deciding the Super Bowl on who can kick the longest field goal or the World Series by a home run contest.... then I will agree and say that deciding hockey championships with a shootout is a good thing.

Just hope Bettman didn't watch this and think how exciting it would be to award the Stanley Cup with a shootout.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Not really, I just disagree with your interpretation.

"Hockey" to me is a team game. Opportunities exist for a 1 on 1 situation but those are created by the other players on the ice.
It's still a team game in the SO. It takes five men and a goalie, same exact thing as in the rest of the game. The stars are out there scoring, and the benchwarmers are at the bench. Very much a team game, only with way more pressure.

I have no problem with soccer PKs either.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I said the same thing. They looked like the Ottawa Senators trying to protect that lead. I think they used a 1-1-3 at times. It backfires so damn often.

Well, being a Canuck fan, I've seen it all too often too. Just a couple minutes into the third, I knew we were gonna lose. And, separating Augusta and Poulin on the power play - WTF was that?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Let's hope Canada will learn from this latest hockey lesson the American women gave us. Speed skills passing collective play needs major improving in Canada.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
funny thing was that if she had waited another 10 seconds for the camera to pass her it's likely no one would've noticed. and don't kid yourself, people have been judging since the beginning of time. it's human nature but now with social media it's just broadcast on a bigger stage.
Its worse now. Because internet/social media has not just created a larger world stage... Its made everyone believe their opinions matter and raised offending someone to the level of a crime.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
So if I’m to understand correctly, if more girls played hockey women would be at the same level of men?

I’m not sure you understand how biology works.

Regardless, it was an entertaining game that, aside from the OT period, I enjoyed watching. Once OT hit, however, Canada ran out of gas and their lack of coaching became evident.

Congrats to the USA, they deserved the win.

Not sure how biology works.. you’re cute. Are the girls playing against guys or other girls?

If there were more girls playing and better funding for girls hockey, they would be more skilled. So yes, I think the notable disparity in level of the game would close.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's still a team game in the SO. It takes five men and a goalie, same exact thing as in the rest of the game. The stars are out there scoring, and the benchwarmers are at the bench. Very much a team game, only with way more pressure.

I have no problem with soccer PKs either.

We don't have free-throw competitions to win basketball, we don't have a home run derby to decide baseball and we don't have field goal kicking to decide football.

It's just not as much a part of our sporting culture in North America.

Reactions: dingbathero

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
If you plan on making a witty remark, better learn to spell first.

Haha definitely a fair point. It was more typo and a few too many glasses of wine. Was definitely pouting. I'm happy the states won. You are our brothers. Only siblings can pick on eachother. If anyone else does watch the heck out. We are just the cooler brother :p. Hehe jk.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
We don't have free-throw competitions to win basketball, we don't have a home run derby to decide baseball and we don't have field goal kicking to decide football.

It's just not as much a part of our sporting culture in North America.

Free-throws have no defender. Home run derby are lob balls, not a pitcher on the other team. Place kicking in football is a key part of the game and often decides games at the very end.

Shoot outs are fine.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Free-throws have no defender. Home run derby are lob balls, not a pitcher on the other team. Place kicking in football is a key part of the game and often decides games at the very end.

Shoot outs are fine.
The existence of comparative gimmicks doesn't erase the fact that a championship game being reduced to a 1 v 1 is pretty absurd.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Shoot outs are fine.

The salient point is that none of them are decided by structured 1 v 1 situations.

You may like the shootout but a lot of people don’t.

They are certainly a necessary evil when it comes to short tournaments but I would hate to see them deciding an NHL playoff series and I’ll bet most people would agree.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
When people agree to deciding the Super Bowl on who can kick the longest field goal or the World Series by a home run contest.... then I will agree and say that deciding hockey championships with a shootout is a good thing.

Just hope Bettman didn't watch this and think how exciting it would be to award the Stanley Cup with a shootout.

TBH I’ve felt for awhile now that the NHL eventually will employ a shootout in the postseason after 3 OTs. I don’t know when it’s coming but have felt it is coming for at least a few years now. Probably after the first major injury or fatigue incident occurs in a 4 or 5 OT game

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Which is kind of ironic considering the 3rd period roles were reversed in Sochi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad