GDT: Women's | Gold Medal Game | Canada Vs USA | February 21st | 11:10 PM ET

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Don't think a shootouts are the best option in a do-or-die game. Probably keep it in round robin or whatever for the extra point though.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Not sure how biology works.. you’re cute. Are the girls playing against guys or other girls?

If there were more girls playing and better funding for girls hockey, they would be more skilled. So yes, I think the notable disparity in level of the game would close.

Do you think the girls at that level of hockey’s parents didn’t throw boatloads of cash for power skating, shooting clinics, private lessons etc. just like the boys parents do growing up?

Those women have dedicated as much time to ge to that level as guys do to make it to the NHL. Not sure what this “funding”from Hockey Canada or whoever would do to make them better than they are.

So I stand by my comment thst obviously you have no idea how biology works. Short of steroids these women have done everything possible to get bigger, stronger, faster, and they are the best women hockey players in the world.

Having said that they are NOWHERE near the best men players in the world and never will be simply because due to biology men are bigger, stronger, faster.

Your argument is ridiculous.

And just to add, I’m not trashing women’s hockey. I stayed up until 230 am after being excited all day to watch a very good hockey game. I’m merely pointing out facts.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
.... yeah, not so sure about that one.

Medula+oblongata+but+mama+said_3e1f8b_3613893.jpg

Reactions: Atticus Finch

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
"Born in the USA" was Springsteen's tribute to Vietnam Vets and how badly they were treated when they returned from the War.

It's an inspirational song and there's nothing wrong with it being co-opted tonight for the ladies victory.

In case you didn't know, South Korea also sent troops who fought and died to protect South Vietnam from being taken over by the communists.

Just for the record 30,000 Canadians fought in Viet Nam. Although according to Anne Coulter Canada sent troops to fight there.

Just sayin'

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
B.S. It's as "hockey" as it gets, and a very "hockey" play. If you don't like SKILL AND NERVES, watch pond hockey or something.

How rude and dull witted you are.

Absolute rubbish and you now very well what I mean when I say it's not a legitimate part of the game. Yes I like hockey and I don't need to "watch pond hockey or something"'. But in fact I would rather watch hockey than skill and nerves.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Do you think the girls at that level of hockey’s parents didn’t throw boatloads of cash for power skating, shooting clinics, private lessons etc. just like the boys parents do growing up?

Those women have dedicated as much time to ge to that level as guys do to make it to the NHL. Not sure what this “funding”from Hockey Canada or whoever would do to make them better than they are.

So I stand by my comment thst obviously you have no idea how biology works. Short of steroids these women have done everything possible to get bigger, stronger, faster, and they are the best women hockey players in the world.

Having said that they are NOWHERE near the best men players in the world and never will be simply because due to biology men are bigger, stronger, faster.

And just to add, I’m not trashing women’s hockey. I stayed up until 230 am after being excited all day to watch a very good hockey game. I’m merely pointing out facts.

Clearly you just have poor reading comprehension skills.

The girls are playing against other girls; they aren’t playing against guys who naturally will be stronger. It’s all relative. I’m speaking about their skills and their hockey IQ (things that, believe it or not, can be just as good as males). I’m speaking about the potential for better hockey.. are you honestly saying that can’t happen because they are female? LOL

I know some of these girls personally. I know what their lives have been like. I also live in Tampa and play out of the rink the USA team has trained out of. I have seen first hand and I understand that a select few have had the opportunity to receive proper coaching.

I also know that (again.. maybe you’ll get it this time) almost 500,000 males played last year in the USA compared to 70,000 females). I also know that

Please.. tell me.. if 500,000 females had played hockey and grown up in the same programs, would these 23 females for sure be the best 23 that the USA could have faced? Or do you think there might be a better chance that girls with better genetics and more athletic potential might have played the sport?

Clearly YOU don’t understand how genetics work.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

The girls are playing against other girls; they aren’t playing against guys who naturally will be stronger. It’s all relative. I’m speaking about their skills and their hockey IQ (things that, believe it or not, can be just as good as males). I’m speaking about the potential for better hockey.. are you honestly saying that can’t happen because they are female? LOL

I know some of these girls personally. I know what their lives have been like. I also live in Tampa and play out of the rink the USA team has trained out of. I have seen first hand and I understand that a select few have had the opportunity to receive proper coaching.

I also know that (again.. maybe you’ll get it this time) almost 500,000 males played last year in the USA compared to 70,000 females). I also know that

Please.. tell me.. if 500,000 females had played hockey and grown up in the same programs, would these 23 females for sure be the best 23 that the USA could have faced? Or do you think there might be a better chance that girls with better genetics and more athletic potential might have played the sport?

You are BOTH correct. Move along now :)

Reactions: PSUPEN

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have read lots of online articles today asking for the shootout to be abolished for Gold Medal Games. A lot, if not most, of these articles were written by U.S. writers. They are happy they won, glad they won, proud they won, but even so, realize how wrong it is to win that way.

And as far a people comparing football to hockey, there is a valid reason to have goal kicks in football, because if they didn't teams could play forever to not lose. Hockey players play to win and given time, they will.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

The ladies were noticeably TIRED last night. It was pretty bad hockey at some point of the game last night. I agree with your assessment here.

If I was a varsity team in Minnesota and I lost to either of these teams I would never live it down. The level of fatigue I saw out of both teams last night was noticeable.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012

Perhaps re-read what you wrote. You stated “So yes, I think the notable disparity in the level of game would close.” So either you’re stating men will suddenly become worse, or the women would close the gap.

My level of reading comprehension is fine, perhaps you need to work on your articulation skills.

Now I can’t speak for the US but I can speak for Canada and up here NOBODY makes it to the top level who haven’t dedicated ridiculous time and money while growing up to development.

Hockey schools are HUGE business up here and they are everywhere. These schools do not segregate the boys and girls nor do they do anything different drills wise based on gender. So our top end girls/women are given a ridiculous amount of additional coaching, training, etc.

I will admit that there could sure be some hidden gems that aren’t discovered because not as many girls play hockey, but up here, the sport is so prevalent any girl who wants to play can find a team to play on. If a girl has to be marketed by Hockey Canada to want to play the sport, odds are the dedication to get to the top levels won’t be there regardless.

Please explain where at any point I said girls hockey IQ, level of understanding the game etc. is not as good as the mens’? I think you’ll find you can’t as I never once said or implied that.

What I did say was the LEVEL of the game will never be close to parity due to the biological physical differences. Hockey IQ and seeing the game at brilliant levels are not going to magically make the women stronger or faster and therefore the levels of disparity will not close.

Having said all that, if people can look past the game being a slower pace, there’s very entertaining hockey to watch as was evident last night.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Congrats USA!, The ladys played a hell of a game and pretty much took it to our girls. Stand tall team Canada no shame in Silver.

Reactions: Mork

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shootouts are terrible way to decide an important game in any sport.
Right Team won that game though, US was the better Team IMO.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I don't understand why they get **** for crying or taking their medals off. They just lost the most important game of their lives that they've worked towards for the last 4 years and they might never get another chance to win it again and even if they do it's not for another 4 years. One of the best players for USA didn't even make the team this year so no medal for her, nothing is guaranteed even with CAN/USA dominating womens hockey. They're not even thinking about the silver medal around their necks, they're thinking about the gold medal game they just lost, their reactions would be completely different if they were given a day to compose themselves.

You don't understand why a display of poor sportsmanship is criticized?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Beating the Capitals in 2015 will always be #1 for me (yes, even more than the Stanley Cup Finals in 2014, and while I remember '94, I was too young to appreciate it)

But this game was as important to me as any of the others: Rangers in 2014, Rangers in 2012, the WJC, USA Men's in 2010.

I simply adore these women. One of my favorite teams that I've ever rooted for.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Haha definitely a fair point. It was more typo and a few too many glasses of wine. Was definitely pouting. I'm happy the states won. You are our brothers. Only siblings can pick on eachother. If anyone else does watch the heck out. We are just the cooler brother :p. Hehe jk.
im canadian too man(living in costa rica), just seemed like a shot at the leafs out of nowhere is all

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Who cares about a 2nd place trophy when there's only 2 competitive teams? She was right to throw it away, those medals a joke participation award.

What'd I miss, did one of the Canadian players toss her silver medal, like that Swedish kid at the WJC's?

He was summarily tarred and feathered by the Canadian hockey media for being a "sore loser". I wonder if she got the same treatment.

For what it's worth I don't have a problem with it at all; silver's just the colour of heartbreak when it comes to team sports and losing in a championship game.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
What'd I miss, did one of the Canadian players toss her silver medal, like that Swedish kid at the WJC's?

He was summarily tarred and feathered by the Canadian hockey media for being a "sore loser". I wonder if she got the same treatment.

For what it's worth I don't have a problem with it at all; silver's just the colour of heartbreak when it comes to team sports and losing in a championship game.

No one tossed anything. She allowed the presenter to put it around her neck and then she immediately took it off and held it in her hand. She then received a stern talking to from some IOC/IIHF official to put it back on .. not sure if she complied. But she kept it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00