Post-Game Talk: WJC U20 Championship Game

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sweden had a 0-10-1 record against the US in the WJC's the last 17 years...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
JINX POST!!!!!! :scared:

Somebody get the Pope this thread needs cleansing, stat!!!! :rant:

The US has already won gold, all they need to do is collect the trophy...

;)

...seriously, with JT Miller on team USA, I am basically for the first time ever excited about a important game. Had we played Canada it would have been all anxity. It comes with age...

On JT, he is having a very strong WJC's. Maybe maybe I had a little higher hopes on him in terms of offense. His stats is fine, but he isn't one of the top 2-3 goto players in terms of carrying the offense. But he is definitely playing a very strong NHL caliber game of hockey. But not like the type that jettisons him 25 spots up a prospect ranking.

Last edited:

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
I agree with Ola, Swedish defence is to weak and the forwards, while fast and skilled,
seems to be to to attached to puck to pass it on so they hold on to it until the opponent players re-take the puck..

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I agree with Ola, Swedish defence is to weak and the forwards, while fast and skilled,
seems to be to to attached to puck to pass it on so they hold on to it until the opponent players re-take the puck..

I was half trying to jinx the US, but I agree with you! ;)

Sweden only has one honest high talent, and that's Lindholm (and he's the same age as McKinnon). But up front they have great depth and a group of players that can play the game at a really high tempo.

The defense is flawed as hades but has been picked to support the above style.

We doesn't have a established presence in the net.

My bet is OT and Sweden is really good 4 on 4 and our goalie is great in SOs, so I do think we got a shot. But if the puck don't bounce our way, things could go in favor of the US in a hurry. Like I would basically rule out Sweden winning by 3 goals, but I wouldn't be suprised if the US won 6-1 or something...

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I was half trying to jinx the US, but I agree with you! ;)

Sweden only has one honest high talent, and that's Lindholm (and he's the same age as McKinnon). But up front they have great depth and a group of players that can play the game at a really high tempo.

The defense is flawed as hades but has been picked to support the above style.

We doesn't have a established presence in the net.

My bet is OT and Sweden is really good 4 on 4 and our goalie is great in SOs, so I do think we got a shot. But if the puck don't bounce our way, things could go in favor of the US in a hurry. Like I would basically rule out Sweden winning by 3 goals, but I wouldn't be suprised if the US won 6-1 or something...

There I would disagree. Sweden has a bunch of small, skilled whirlwinds - that a bit pathetically try to pass the puck into the net - but show great technique and an amazing possession game with great speed and placement. They might be physically overmatched by the US tomorrow though... And they really need to have some real shooting practice (with lead pucks all summer long!!!) as their finish is pretty poor imo.

Besides aforementioned - Lindholm, I think these 3-5 of these players have some definite future NHL potential:

Collberg - A little weak maybe - but shows good offensive upside
Forsberg - a real dangler. Maybe he is made for the European ice surface.
Arvidsson - been real good. Size is the big ??
Sandberg - a very technical dangler - again size?
Karlsson - solid player
Rask - solid player
Wennberg - solid player
Rakell - solid player
Molin - a bit uneven but a gamer

My new favourite is however a real surprise in Jacob de La Rose. At 17 and born in 1995, he has size (6´, 2" already), skill and a very bright future IMO. He has grown throughout the tournament and will be a huge part of Team Sweden the next 2 years. A real sleeper pick imo as well. Detroit & Håkan will probably get him...

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
My new favourite is however a real surprise in Jacob de La Rose. At 17 and born in 1995, he has size (6´, 2" already), skill and a very bright future IMO. He has grown throughout the tournament and will be a huge part of Team Sweden the next 2 years. A real sleeper pick imo as well. Detroit & Håkan will probably get him...

Yeah i'm very familiar with him as he plays for my favourite team in Sweden. I will also probably miss the
third period and possible OT/SOsince i have leave around 16.00 to make it to Globe arena in time for the derby game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BBKers- I need to see more of de la Ross, but besides him we do not have several prime top 10-15 draft picks like we have in previous years.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
BBKers- I need to see more of de la Ross, but besides him we do not have several prime top 10-15 draft picks like we have in previous years.

True dat
de La Rose is still very raw, but if you ask me he has looked every bit as good as MckKinnon, Barkov, Nichushkin or Hägg has in this tournament (YES - serious and have watched every minute), but that is just me. Of course that does not mean they have same potential. Jones & Hartman otoh have been very impressive IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad