WJC SF2: Jan 3 GDT - USA vs. Finland (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicpea*

for you fellow cbc fans - the habs are on french if you want to make it 3 games before noon! After HNIC today - that'll make it 5 on the day. weird.

Bud The Spud*

chicpea said:
for you fellow cbc fans - the habs are on french if you want to make it 3 games before noon! After HNIC today - that'll make it 5 on the day. weird.

Thanks! :D I didn't know it was on tv.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Somebody had better introduce coach Eaves to his 3rd and 4th lines and also his 5th and 6th defenseman, because he seemed to have forgot they existed. No way can 10 US player absorb the physical pounding Canada will try to hand out..... even the finns wore them down physically.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Rabid Ranger said:
Give me a break. You slag on the U.S. every time you get a chance. It's pretty tiring.
I also think the finns deserved the win and that doesnt mean i hate usa.But im gald the american win,its gonna be a great final.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Team USA has great defence system. All the guys does their duty to keep the net clean and Montoya does the rest. The first goal was lucky, not the goal itself but what happened that led to it was, and after that Finns just could get the goal they needed until it was too late. It's going to be great final. Team USA has better defence but Team Canada has better offence.

Now Team Finland should think why they lost and make sure it won't happen again in the bronze medal game.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
The Fins looked brilliant and are certainly one of the top three team system teams in the game. They may have lost but it were a great battle and the best game I have watched so far. Nothing but praise for them.

It were close but the better team one this game. If it were a three game series it would be fun to see who would win it.

chicpea*

nyr4life5186 said:
How did Corey Potter look for the U.S.? Is he in the top 4 or is he one of the odd men out? Who would you most compare him to? Thanks.

Well, he didn't look especially good when his head collided with Petrell's knee and he had blood in his mouth and a dazed look in his eyes. But other than that, oh, just dandy ;)

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Give me a break. You slag on the U.S. every time you get a chance. It's pretty tiring.
It's all in the name of competition.

I've got no love for USA when it comes to politics or sports.

chicpea*

go pierre hedin said:
It's all in the name of competition.

I've got no love for USA when it comes to politics or sports.

I'm with you on that one, but let's leave the politics and fighting for another message board boyeez. ;)

Damn. This is hard to swallow. Of course USA was better and had better individuals skills, but still. Stupid, just stupid mistake by Ville Varakas and it was all over. Varakas tried that old jyrkilummeis trick, but didn`t have skill for it and it was breakaway.

It a damn shame that Finland`s coach Hannu Aravirta is also coach of SM-liiga team IFK Helsinki. Therefore he chose those crappy player from it`s juniorsystem like Lennart "Corky" Petrell and especially tonight Ville Varakas. It`s all due to HIFK a-juniors that Team Finland lost tonight.

In my opinion Team USA and Team Finland did have very similar playing style. USA was better in that category and that`s reason why we aren`t playing for the gold.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Congrats to USA, really good defensive and team effort. I think they have a chance against Canada in the final, they are the faster team and they could use that.

On the Finns, they gave it what they got and I'm not going to nitpick about what could've been. Well OK one thing irked me, why wasn't Tukonen getting more ice time? What I think it came down to from Finnish side is that the guys were still tired after yesterdays hard game, they just couldn't keep the pace they kept against Russians for sixty minutes. I was sitting pretty close to the ice and Immonen for example looked dead tired at times. Coaching staff tried to counter by keeping shifts very short, which was propably a good idea but it kind of hurt the flow of our game.

Team game, apart from goalies few players really stood out, but I think Sutter was very good and of the Finns which I paid more attention to Tukonen, third liners Kontiola and Nurmi (I think they just got themselves drafted) along with usual suspects Filppula and Lepistö were good.

The Rage

Marshall said:
Actually, they keep score for just this reason: to see who the better team was. At the end of the game, the team with the higher score wins, and thus, is the better team.

Of course, you ignore the phenomenon of random chance. So no, the best team does not always win (although I have no idea if thet happened here).

chicpea*

Marshall said:
Actually, they keep score for just this reason: to see who the better team was. At the end of the game, the team with the higher score wins, and thus, is the better team.

Um, if you consider benching half your squad to be a fine display by the "better team" then I guess you have a point. Zach Parise and Montoya does not a team make I'm afraid. Those two, however, did look awesome. And I think I saw Suter do a nice impersonation of his uncle in the third period.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
chicpea said:
Um, if you consider benching half your squad to be a fine display by the "better team" then I guess you have a point. Zach Parise and Montoya does not a team make I'm afraid. Those two, however, did look awesome. And I think I saw Suter do a nice impersonation of his uncle in the third period.

I tend to look at the final score as the bottom line. That may be short-sighted on my part.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
The Rage said:
Of course, you ignore the phenomenon of random chance. So no, the best team does not always win (although I have no idea if thet happened here).

No, I think dealing with random chance is part of the character of a team. I don't particularly believe in luck.

Again, I may be short-sighted, but to say that random chance or a short bench is what won a particular team a game is hindsight. I haven't seen eitehr US goal, but fro mteh descriptions I've read on this thread, they were direct results of good plays.

"They got lucky" has always rung hollow as an excuse, IMO. I haven't heard a fan that I thought was a Finn say that, either.

The Rage

Marshall said:
"They got lucky" has always rung hollow as an excuse, IMO. I haven't heard a fan that I thought was a Finn say that, either.

As I said before, I'm not sure if luck was a factor here. However, ignoring luck as a factor is rather simplistic. We live in a universe where random chance is a reality. There's no argument about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad