WJC SF2: Jan 3 GDT - USA vs. Finland (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
It's funny you say that, Mike8. I find the Americans are missing a lot of their passes and are bobbling the puck. Not trying to trash the Fins, but the Americans are not playing to their potential right now, which is disturbing since it's a semi-final game.

I don't think either of these teams can stop Canada in the finals.

That said, I have to say, Montoya is absolutely ASTOUNDING. Best goaltender of the WJC's that I've seen. His puck handling is maybe even better than Marty Turco.

Dr_Chimera*

Man, these Finns look very good. And I was happy that Russia faced them over the Czechs in the quarters - bah. It's incredible - these Finns have about 2 or 3 guys with any hands whatsoever, yet they keep themselves in the game against any opponent with their hard-nosed, inspired play.

Mark Pavelich

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mizral said:
That said, I have to say, Montoya is absolutely ASTOUNDING. Best goaltender of the WJC's that I've seen. His puck handling is maybe even better than Marty Turco.

Agreed, but another period like that and the US is in trouble. They look like they are playing not to lose. Hats off to the Finns, a tough game the night before and they are playing great.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Mizral said:
It's funny you say that, Mike8. I find the Americans are missing a lot of their passes and are bobbling the puck. Not trying to trash the Fins, but the Americans are not playing to their potential right now, which is disturbing since it's a semi-final game.

I don't think either of these teams can stop Canada in the finals.

I'll beg to differ on Montoya.

I'll agree with his puck handling this game, but I don't think he's been astounding in this game by any stretch. He's stopped the 2-0 breakaway, but in my mind, failed to be tested at any other time. Routine stops is what I'd call the rest.

leafaholix*

Holy crap.

The Finns have dominated the Americans throughout the whole game.

finzup77r

Apr 9, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
I'll beg to differ on Montoya.

I'll agree with his puck handling this game, but I don't think he's been astounding in this game by any stretch. He's stopped the 2-0 breakaway, but in my mind, failed to be tested at any other time. Routine stops is what I'd call the rest.
He made a great save on another breakaway and has played very solid, he maybe has only made two great saves but he has made many saves that have just hit him in the chest

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Wow, the US coach really needs to utilize his bench better (too short). It seems the regulars hit the wall a bit at the end of that second period, as the Finns surged and US didn't have the energy to take back control.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Mizral said:

I would give more credit to the Finns and say the American defensemen aren't moving the puck well because they're not being given the time to move it. In the first period when the US was dominating, their defensemen had the time, space and support to make the long-bomb passes to speed up the transition game and outskate their opponents. The Finns were playing more passively.

Now the Finns are playing aggressive puck-pursuit hockey on the forecheck, force the puck to the boards and have two players waiting on that side to force the turnover.

Makes for an interesting third. This is the Finnish team I love watching: fast, intense, full of character. I agree with you though, Canada looks a step above both these teams right now. There just isn't a whole lot of scoring depth on either squad, especially given the fact that the top two lines for the US are used almost exclusively it seems. Both teams have smaller defenses that Canada will eat up down low.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Boomhower said:
Wow, the US coach really needs to utilize his bench better (too short). It seems the regulars hit the wall a bit at the end of that second period, as the Finns surged and US didn't have the energy to take back control.

I agree. The U.S. has to have a MUCH better 3rd period, and play to their strengths. Montoya has played well, but it might be too much to ask of him to hold a 1-0 lead for the rest of the game. The U.S. desperately needs the next goal. I have to admit, I underestimated the Finns. They are playing great.

jj_fin

Dec 31, 2002
Oulu, Finland
Visit site
I'm surprised that we're still in the game. And we're gaining control. We might equalise but this Montoya guy is amazing. I heard that he's good but... is he undrafted and how old is he?

The Finns are much more physichal than USA, that's a some kind of surprise for me too.

Nice dive from Parise that resulted to an interference penalty for Kalteva on our PP.

Our team is filled with brickhands, wish we'd have a sniper like Jokinen or Ruutu.

Well, Canada will destroy either of these teams in the final, so it really doesn't matter that who wins anyway...

leafaholix*

I hope the USA wins... they seem like the softer of the two teams.

And they only have 2 lines... and it looks like they only play 3 or 4 defensemen.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
American hockey fans should be real proud of their team though. This is the best American team I've ever seen, probobly. They are loaded with quality players up and down their lineup. Most years, the American team has an okay top 6, but their bottom 6 is comparable with Lativa and the Ukraine. This year, it's a much different story.

I think Mike Eaves' bench shortening will catch up to him in the third. I wouldn't be surprised to see his big horses (Parise, O'Sullivan, Kesler, Eaves, Stuart, Suter) to be dog tired through the final 10 minutes.

Mark Pavelich

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
jj_fin said:
Well, Canada will destroy either of these teams in the final, so it really doesn't matter that who wins anyway...

I'd love to disagree with that comment but I think you are right. Never say never but this is most likely the game for the silver.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
jj_fin said:
I'm surprised that we're still in the game. And we're gaining control. We might equalise but this Montoya guy is amazing. I heard that he's good but... is he undrafted and how old is he?

The Finns are much more physichal than USA, that's a some kind of surprise for me too.

Nice dive from Parise that resulted to an interference penalty for Kalteva on our PP.

Our team is filled with brickhands, wish we'd have a sniper like Jokinen or Ruutu.

Montoya opted into this year's draft. He should be a 1st round draft pick. The U.S. needs to pick the pace up, if not, I think it's curtains for the U.S. Finland has the momentum now, and the crowd is going to be nuts. WE NEED A GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mark Pavelich said:
I'd love to disagree with that comment but I think you are right. Never say never but this is most likely the game for the silver.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree as well. Canada is going to eat either team (especially the U.S.) for lunch physically.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
Where are you guys seeing this? what the help is wrong over there that noone can hear or see the game like they were supposed to be able to?????

The game is on TSN (Canadian National sports network).

It's mid-way through the 3rd. Still 1 - 0 US. Finnish are trying their damndest though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad