WJC SF2: Jan 3 GDT - USA vs. Finland (2-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck bunny

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
who really got the other assist

SabresIn05 said:
What a goal by Fritsche...great pass by Moore.

who was it that worked out the puck of the US zone to give the pass to Moore...The assist said Potter but I thought it was Wisniewski...Did they just mix up the numbers...

thanks,

Nature's Minister

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
The Rage said:
As I said before, I'm not sure if luck was a factor here. However, ignoring luck as a factor is rather simplistic. We live in a universe where random chance is a reality. There's no argument about that.

Actually, one can argue that the universe is completely deterministic. Of course, not everything can be measured - thus, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle - but, although it cannot be proven that this is true, it is very likely that even the things we cannot measure follow very predictable patterns.

:eek:

chicpea*

Marshall said:
I tend to look at the final score as the bottom line. That may be short-sighted on my part.
Don't get me wrong, please, I thought it was a great game. But the US played two lines and they weren't even that effective. Without that brutal error by Lepisto on the blueline, the US would likely not have scored a shorty; and the second goal (also a nice one) only came about because the Finns were pressing and cheating to make up for the shorty. This is not an excuse, those are perfectly valid ways to win of course [!], but after all the hype about the US I wasn't too impressed.

Before the crossover, everyone was talking about the far more difficult Pool A. Well, I'm not so sure about that now. Anyway, the final should be a doozy.

chicpea*

Nature's Minister said:
Actually, one can argue that the universe is completely deterministic. Of course, not everything can be measured - thus, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle - but, although it cannot be proven that this is true, it is very likely that even the things we cannot measure follow very predictable patterns.

:eek:

hehe. you should read Lem's "Chain of Chance" - in fact, you all should!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Didn't see the game, but don't know how anyone can consider a team that couldn't score a through entire game until they had a 2 man advantage with 2 minutes left the better team ???????

chicpea*

JimEIV said:
Didn't see the game, but don't know how anyone can consider a team that couldn't score a through entire game until they had a 2 man advantage with 2 minutes left the better team ???????

a very hot goalie. I don't neccessarily think that the Finns are the better team, but golly gee they dominated large swaths of the game 5 on 5.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'm not so sure Canada will beat the U.S. Fleury has looked terrible in this tournament. I wouldn't even rank him in the top 5 goalies...while Alvaro has been outstanding.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Enoch said:
I'm not so sure Canada will beat the U.S. Fleury has looked terrible in this tournament. I wouldn't even rank him in the top 5 goalies...while Alvaro has been outstanding.

Well, Canada WILL win the game if the U.S. can't cope with the physical pressure they will bring. Unlike the Finns, the Canadian forwards will be able to finish off their chances in the offensive zone. Montoya has played great, but that can last only so long. I don't presume to second guess Mike Eaves, but he'll probably make some adjustments as well.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
I think it was the same old story: we have no hands. And more specifically, almost no finishing skills whatsoever. Montoya (who handled his job well, no doubt about that) didn't even have to play that great IMO, he basically just waited for the Finns to hit him with the puck. Pretty much all of our players who can control the puck well are playmakers, not scorers. We usually manage to make the opponent's goalie the player of the game and that is exactly what we did today.

I think the better team won. It was a great game, Finland outworked the US and gave everything they had. But in the end, talent and skill overcame hard work.

KillToronto

I know this has probably been asked a million times but is the gold medal game gonna be televised? I know it's prolly on TSN but I don't get that channel.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
chicpea said:
Don't get me wrong, please, I thought it was a great game. But the US played two lines and they weren't even that effective. Without that brutal error by Lepisto on the blueline, the US would likely not have scored a shorty; and the second goal (also a nice one) only came about because the Finns were pressing and cheating to make up for the shorty. This is not an excuse, those are perfectly valid ways to win of course [!], but after all the hype about the US I wasn't too impressed.

Before the crossover, everyone was talking about the far more difficult Pool A. Well, I'm not so sure about that now. Anyway, the final should be a doozy.

You act as if Canada plastered Finland....

chicpea*

Mobey said:
You act as if Canada plastered Finland....
um, they did - if you saw it - it was all canada - and that was the first game, not the semis, where it was all Finland. Toivonen played well. But, you're right, you can't really compare two teams that way accurately.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
chicpea said:
um, they did - if you saw it - it was all canada - and that was the first game, not the semis, where it was all Finland. Toivonen played well. But, you're right, you can't really compare two teams that way accurately.

Here's to a great game on monday....Good luck Canada, but go USA!

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Enoch said:

Well...Fleury is ranked 5th in the tournament in save percentage with a 94.05, and is second with anyone playing over 120 minutes.

He hasn't been spectacular, and hasn't had to be, but he hasn't been bad. He's been very Brodeur-ish in this tournament, coming up big where it's helpful, but otherwise hasn't been called upon.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Boy is the gold medal game going to be a beauty, but unfortunatly I will not be able to catch the game (trying to keep the swears and the cursing to a low)

But the interesting part is that there is no favourite or underdog IMO. I expect a close game but I think Phaneuf and Coburn will bee too much too handle for Parise, Fritsche and co.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Aaron Vickers said:
Well...Fleury is ranked 5th in the tournament in save percentage with a 94.05, and is second with anyone playing over 120 minutes.

He hasn't been spectacular, and hasn't had to be, but he hasn't been bad. He's been very Brodeur-ish in this tournament, coming up big where it's helpful, but otherwise hasn't been called upon.

And he faced what 10 shots in his first two games? Stats aside in this argument, Fleury looks really bad. I love the kid and thought the gold was assured when Canada named him as their goaltender, but now I'm not so sure. He has been very shaky, letting in several softies, throwing his body around frantically......I'm just not impressed with his WJC performance thus far. He is out of position, stickhandling is shaky........he does look like the no. 1 pick at times, but too many times he has not. Maybe it was the shell-shock from playing with the Pens, or maybe he is just nervous. I just hope he gets his game on come Monday, so he can give us all a great show.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
SergeiK said:
Damn. This is hard to swallow. Of course USA was better and had better individuals skills, but still. Stupid, just stupid mistake by Ville Varakas and it was all over. Varakas tried that old jyrkilummeis trick, but didn`t have skill for it and it was breakaway.

It a damn shame that Finland`s coach Hannu Aravirta is also coach of SM-liiga team IFK Helsinki. Therefore he chose those crappy player from it`s juniorsystem like Lennart "Corky" Petrell and especially tonight Ville Varakas. It`s all due to HIFK a-juniors that Team Finland lost tonight.

In my opinion Team USA and Team Finland did have very similar playing style. USA was better in that category and that`s reason why we aren`t playing for the gold.

Are you blind or stupid?

Hannu Aravirta is that guy whos got we this far. No one cant even tream about that Finland can get this far. Why 67% people who is insaid stadium voted Petrell is best player that game? How crappy player is Petrell if they voted his best player for the game?

I think you are jellous cause we have IFK that good coach and one of the best players on Finlands team .

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
IFK said:
I think you are jellous cause we have IFK that good coach and one of the best players on Finlands team .

This is a joke right? Petrell is talented individual who doesn't know very much about playing in a team. Or so it seems but I have only see his play during WJC's. He has been no doubt the worst team player in Team Finland in the WJC's so far and I doubt he would got a place in the team without Aravirta being HIFK's head coach as well.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Padawan said:
This is a joke right? Petrell is talented individual who doesn't know very much about playing in a team. Or so it seems but I have only see his play during WJC's. He has been no doubt the worst team player in Team Finland in the WJC's so far and I doubt he would got a place in the team without Aravirta being HIFK's head coach as well.

I understand that Jyp fans are very homer and defend they self all the time. I also understand that they hate big city teams and thats why they dont say nothing good about HIFK.

I am very sorry cause i now that you are angry big city teams cause they steal all of JYP good players (not meny cause they dont never had meny good players), but world is crule.

Petrell was Finland best player that game. If not best, I think one of the best cause i dont think that over 6500 human is so wrong that they vote Petrell 67%.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
You mean over 6500 fins IFK. I also think it is wrong of you to call someone stupid because they see things differently than you and that you should remove that bit from your response.

Petrel were solid and a good player in that game and in fact, were a solid bloke the whole tourney but he weren't the best over all and his play looked to me more like he were a kid trying to make an impression on the world about his own personal skills instead of one who should be focused on helping his *team* win a tourney.

Those are my observations on him and they aren't any more right or wrong than yours or anyone elses but mate, to call someone stupid or insinuate that they are blind is bad form and in my experience will get you kicked off of the boards, you should remove it before you get the hammer mate. Bad form in my opinion but you are allowed yours and mean not to offend you with what I have said.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad