WJC SF: Jan 3 GDT - Russia vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yunkov? Still hearing his name a lot for a guy who was supposedly only drawing 4th line ice time previously. How's he look?

Beyond the ridiculous jingoism that permeates these international tournaments every year, these events are useful to take a look at (multicultural) NHL teams' developing prospects. Or at least they would, if the games received broad coverage in the US...

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
My fellow Americans: Let's get this thread back to hockey. Ragging about the ticket holders who are ragging on our players is getting no where. Let's enjoy the hockey game.

My Canadian neighbors: You love hockey. Let's keep the talk on hockey. If any of my American friends ignore this post, please ignore them and do not rag on them for ragging on your fans who are ragging on our boys.

:cheers:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
bling said:
I never said you were not allowed to. I said the excuse you give concerning the retaliatory hit by Johnson is not why the Americans are being booed. Or at least not the only reason. I don't care that you boo I was only commenting on your supposed explanation.

Actually, I wasn't the one that made the comment, so it's not my supposed explanation, but someone else's. It can't be argued that Johnson's elbow isn't a part of the animosity, though it isn't the whole story. It's not like people need an excuse to cheer for whoever they want to anyway.

I'm done with this and back to enjoying the game. People can think it's classless to cheer for whoever you want when you pay good money to, but no one has thrown anything or booed or burned a US flag (instead, they CHEERED, which is...you knonw, the opposite of booing), so I think this anti-Americanism paranoia is pretty clearly unfounded and even if it exists, is pretty damn civilized.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
This is actually a hell of a game.
I hope it continues to be a tiring, gruelling effort into overtime.
I don't really care who wins, as long as they still are tired on Thursday.
;)

joe_shannon_1983*

jcorb58 said:
Malkin is a beast

He has been good this game. But as I mentioned in a post a couple of minutes ago, he hasn't been as dominant as I was expecting.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
TSN just reported that so far this tournament, only four US jerseys have been sold by the arena vendors. They also said the vendors have had to order extra Norway jerseys to keep up to the demand.

Petey Knights

Aug 3, 2005
ferns8916 said:
I am a little disappointed with Malkin in this game. I thought he was supposed to be so dominant that he would rip apart any team in the World Juniors. Thus far, however, he has hardly looked dominant. Solid? Yes. Good? Yes. Dominant? No.

He has made a couple of nice plays, but he probably hasn't even been the best player on his team this game.

Yes he has. Are you kidding?

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
jcorb58 said:
Malkin is a beast

That whole event confused me. Why not shoot it and have one of the two breaking wingers go for the rebound? He had a clear shot and momentum. That's how they scored the first goal. But...he passed it. Odd.

A USA goal right about now would be a huge shift in momentum.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Stevo, I would bet that my knowledge of American History is a titch better then yours so yes I am more then aware of what makes America great and by extension our Western Civilization also....

Secondly, I never meant to indicate that all Vancouverites are being idiots.......just those in GM Place........

Great news about the rescued Miners........

Back too the game...

jaydub*

usahockey.com feed is working for me now!

i don't think booing at sporting events is anything bad or classless, and i don't think anyone on team USA really cares. there is something different about booiing kids playing in this tourny and booing an NHL team

joe_shannon_1983*

Le Golie said:
TSN just reported that so far this tournament, only four US jerseys have been sold by the arena vendors. They also said the vendors have had to order extra Norway jerseys to keep up to the demand.

Seriously?

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
ferns8916 said:
He has been good this game. But as I mentioned in a post a couple of minutes ago, he hasn't been as dominant as I was expecting.

Everytime he touches the puck he makes things happen

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
The Russians can pass the puck incredibly well. I haven't seen any team this tournament move the puck like they can, especially on the power play.

US is still hanging in there though. Erik Johnson has played a couple of 1-on-1 situations really well, just planting the guy on his ***. Both goaltenders have been solid too.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Devonator said:
Secondly, I never meant to indicate that all Vancouverites are being idiots.......just those in GM Place......

:shakehead :shakehead

I don't know why TSN was worried about how the Russian goalie would do, he looks very solid to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad