WJC SF: Jan 3 GDT - Russia vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fender_bender

Jul 12, 2003
I've seen Malkin play on the PK multiple times tonight. For those who have seen him play before, is this a regular occurence?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ferns8916 said:
I am a little disappointed with Malkin in this game. I thought he was supposed to be so dominant that he would rip apart any team in the World Juniors. Thus far, however, he has hardly looked dominant. Solid? Yes. Good? Yes. Dominant? No.

He has made a couple of nice plays, but he probably hasn't even been the best player on his team this game.

:dunno:

Everyone has off games . . . . everyone. Even Rocket Richard likely was only Putt Putt Richard a game or two I am betting. No clue if he actually is having one of those off games - though he was part of the only goal scored from what I read and people seemed impressed ('undressed the defender' I think was mentioned) with the play. Be that as it may, I will end the suspense, whether this game or another Malkin will have not one but many off games in his career. Makes him no less dominant a player overall.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
And the Mad cow crippled Albertas beef industry but this is a hockey tourney

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
Checker said:
Malkin with a blatant cheapshot at Jack Johnson.

I'm apalled. He should be suspended for the rest of the tourney or at least booed everytime he touches the puck from now on. :sarcasm:

:biglaugh:

Nice avatar btw lol.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
Whoever turned us onto the Team 1040 audio. Thanks once again. Some great commentary and insight on what's wrong with the US powerplay.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Some people here sound desperate to believe that Malkin isn't the best prospect in the world and either their national or NHL team has someone better.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
fender_bender said:
I've seen Malkin play on the PK multiple times tonight. For those who have seen him play before, is this a regular occurence?

Lets see what he does when he is back on. He will be well rested

Randall Graves*

Damn put someone in front of the goalie. the goalie is so much better when he has a clear path to see the puck.

someone do it please..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The U.S. can only blame themselves if they can't find a way to take advantage of these late power play opportunities.

* As I finish this post the U.S. takes a penalty. What a joke. :madfire:

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
With 12 second left, Jack Johnson committs a penalty (hooking?) behidn the play. Wonderful.

Team USA's power play reminds me too much of the Devils' PP. That's NOT a good thing.

SECOND PERIOD END UPDATE: America, make like a ska band and PICK IT UP. Only for brief moments have the US squad put consistent pressure on Russia by keeping the puck in their zone and getting shots on net. That said, they're giving up far too many chances to Russia and making too many poor passes and decisions (i.e. the penalty at the end of the period).

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
naihlflames said:
Whoever turned us onto the Team 1040 audio. Thanks once again. Some great commentary and insight on what's wrong with the US powerplay.

Your welcome, it has been a great game call. The Canada game was excellent also.

jaydub*

Epsilon said:
Some people here sound desperate to believe that Malkin isn't the best prospect in the world and either their national or NHL team has someone better.

replace Malkin with Kessel and what you said would be just as true

joe_shannon_1983*

Epsilon said:

He most certainly is the best prospect in the world.

But I just don't see Ovechkin-type talent in him (which he is supposed to have). I don't see it, at least not in this game (which may not mean much since, as someone has already said, everyone has 'off games').

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
DevilFisch said:
With 12 second left, Jack Johnson committs a penalty (hooking?) behidn the play. Wonderful.

Team USA's power play reminds me too much of the Devils' PP. That's NOT a good thing.

After Lee keeps them in it by breaking up a two on one. :sarcasm:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but IMO the U.S. blew their chance to seize control of this game. Not that it's over, but it doesn't look good, even being down one.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
ferns8916 said:
He most certainly is the best prospect in the world.

But I just don't see Ovechkin-type talent in him (which he is supposed to have). I don't see it, at least not in this game (which may not mean much since, as someone has already said, everyone has 'off games').

Ovechkin is better than Malkin now. Who knows down the road.

joe_shannon_1983*

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but IMO the U.S. blew their chance to seize control of this game. Not that it's over, but it doesn't look good, even being down one.

I agree. The U.S.A. could have tied the game, as they were all over the Russians. But instead, they took a penalty.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. can only blame themselves if they can't find a way to take advantage of these late power play opportunities.

* As I finish this post the U.S. takes a penalty. What a joke. :madfire:

I agree , they are beating themselves .

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
Rabid Ranger said:

I have a feeling you may be right. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Walt King is giving Team USA what's for. A bronze is better than nothing, but it's crap when you could be going for the gold.

Last edited:

joe_shannon_1983*

Bob McKenzie just said that Phil Kessel's inside-outside move is starting to become a little too predictable.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Hopefully the US will come out and dominate this last period. And score goals too. I would really like to see Canada vs the US in the finals. :jump:

Checker*

NYR2 said:
:biglaugh:

Nice avatar btw lol.

Thanks.

Well the US has one period to try and look like this isn't the first game these guys have played together offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad