WJC - Russia - 2015

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Sergeev not even getting a game's audition is a poor decision. We've seen many of the defenseman at these tournaments already. A guy a whole level better than most of these guys cant even earn himself 1 game tryout out of all of these tournaments... Oh BTW, he was good enough to earn NHL tryout, and walk away with a contract.

Pilipenko should have got a look too.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
as for the forward group i'd go with that:

tkachev - barbashev - buchnevich
tolchinskiy - okulov - goldobin
svechnikov - kamenev - scherbak
zykov - pilipenko - penkovskiy

Tkachev isn't exactly setting the league on fire and is tiny.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
IMO Penkovsky, Golyshev, Mamin are junk, deadweight garbage. None of them should be on the team before any of the serviceable CHL guys. Buchnevich and Sharov are the only worthy KHL forwards to make this team. Id hate to admit it but this year the team should be made up of mostly CHL guys. Obvious guys like Rafikov, Sharov, Buch, Gavrikov aside. Just too much of the top level talent for 95, 96 is over seas.

Whenever there is close to a draw in the quality of players, KHL/VHL/MHL players should always be selected ahead of those in the CHL. It doesn't matter how talented someone is before they go over to NA, what counts is how well they survived the damage. The one exception to the rule of talented guys going to NA and atrophying in the CHL is Yakupov, and for the second year, he is badly struggling in Edmonton. A second consideration is that it is much easier for the coaching staff to follow the progress of guys playing in Russia, as opposed to guys like Scherbak in Northwestern Washington. You can even see it in our senior national teams - there is a gap in teamwork between KHL guys and those from the NHL.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
i think "vzhik" will play in a game or two

He was explosive, ignited Shatsky too. Him and Tkachev both need to be there, the quickness out values size. Tkachev in particular already showed he can perform at the NHL level, no doubt he can do it at this tournament. I haven't seen him play bad in any particular tournament yet.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
In my mind Tkachev doesnt play mature enough game
well, if you are built like a girl it's hardly surprising, isn't it?
He was explosive, ignited Shatsky too. Him and Tkachev both need to be there, the quickness out values size. Tkachev in particular already showed he can perform at the NHL level, no doubt he can do it at this tournament. I haven't seen him play bad in any particular tournament yet.
just no. golyshev, tolchinskiy, tkachev, that are two dwarfs too many.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I follow Russian prospects pretty closely but there were many forwards going into the SSS that I knew little to nothing about, I did know some defenders and both goalies however, based on the games here is my predicted roster :

Buchnevich-Barbashev-Goldobin
Tolchinsky-Kraskovsky-Okulov
Golyshev-Kamenev-Sherbak
Shatsky-Dergachev-Zykov
Rudenkov

Provorov-Rafikov
Tikhonov-Gavrikov
Yudin-Valiev
Paygin

Sorokin
Shesterkin

I definately feel Zykov should not be there and someone like Leshenko should take his place. Tkachyov will need to fight amongst the midgets to determine who will make it, they will only take a few players of this build.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I follow Russian prospects pretty closely but there were many forwards going into the SSS that I knew little to nothing about, I did know some defenders and both goalies however, based on the games here is my predicted roster :

Golyshev-Kamenev-Sherbak
Shatsky-Dergachev-Zykov
Rudenkov

Provorov-Rafikov
Tikhonov-Gavrikov
Yudin-Valiev
Paygin

Sorokin
Shesterkin

I definately feel Zykov should not be there and someone like Leshenko should take his place. Tkachyov will need to fight amongst the midgets to determine who will make it, they will only take a few players of this build.

The top-line look okay. But you forgetthe Mamin-Sharov duo. Bragin indirectly hinted who from Europe has the spots except the SSS players.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1025142015.html

Also looks like Mamin's injury is nothing too serious. I don't see Okulov, Shatsky, Scherbak and Zykov as locks.

On D you have to consider russian coaches always play 4 pairings. And I get it, you like Provorov. Me too, but he shouldn't be on the 1st pairing just yet.

It's probably Yudin-Rafikov.(That's my biggest pain with the roster. Yudin should play forward if he can't play defence. and he can't. His defensive blunders give coaches nightmares probably).

Tikhonov to the bottom pairing at best. It's Paygin-Gavrikov I hope.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The top-line look okay. But you forgetthe Mamin-Sharov duo. Bragin indirectly hinted who from Europe has the spots except the SSS players.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1025142015.html

Also looks like Mamin's injury is nothing too serious. I don't see Okulov, Shatsky, Scherbak and Zykov as locks.

On D you have to consider russian coaches always play 4 pairings. And I get it, you like Provorov. Me too, but he shouldn't be on the 1st pairing just yet.

It's probably Yudin-Rafikov.(That's my biggest pain with the roster. Yudin should play forward if he can't play defence. and he can't. His defensive blunders give coaches nightmares probably).

Tikhonov to the bottom pairing at best. It's Paygin-Gavrikov I hope.

I'm not too familiar with the Mamin, Sharov duo but if the coach hinted to them having a spot, they must be more impressive than Okulov, Shatsky and Dergachev whom I thought looked great. I agree Sherbak might not be on the team and I just put Zykov since he was there last year.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

Golyshev-Kamenev-Sherbak
Shatsky-Dergachev-Zykov
Rudenkov

Provorov-Rafikov
Tikhonov-Gavrikov
Yudin-Valiev
Paygin

Sorokin
Shesterkin

scratch okulov, shatsky, kraskovsky, zykov and put in ther place big bodies with at the very least questionable skill like leshenko, mamin, sharov and fizhenko and you are all dome, from bragin's perspective

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Hard to predict, imho - nobody from NA stood out, which is very unfortunate, as they are the best talents prior to departure. So I exect surprise curptsfrom bragin? Provorov as a 97? Highly doubt it

Steven

May 10, 2009
How are Rafikov's chances of making the cut? I thought he played a pretty big role in the SSS and Bragin seems to like him. Is he a good bet to make the WJC squad?

Any other insight on the kid would also be appreciated. I haven't had the chance to see him play very much, and I'm unsure what kind of game he really brings. I've generally heard he's a more defensive defencemen, but his offensive stats seem pretty impressive as well. Could he have some real NHL upside?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
scratch okulov, shatsky, kraskovsky, zykov and put in ther place big bodies with at the very least questionable skill like leshenko, mamin, sharov and fizhenko and you are all dome, from bragin's perspective

Why would he do this? Cutting Kraskovsky sounds plain stupid.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I assume that these are our top 8 d-men (it'll probably be seven, per Bragin's tendencies):

(In no particular order) Rafikov, Yudin, Glukhov, Paygin, Valiev, Provorov, Gavrikov, Baldaev.

Am I wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad