WJC - Russia - 2015

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
A lot of mixed feelings and random thoughts after the SSS:

Attacking lines really need an upgrade from KHL, also I'm still expecting much more from Scherbak; Goldobin should help too. A lot of interesting bottom six guys showed up though. Also Tolchinsky finally showed why he should be at WJC.

Not really satisfied with our D: Rafikov, Yudin, Gavrikov and Provorov were ok, but Paygin&Co looked rather shaky to me. Btw, still don't understand why Bragin didn't take Glukhov to SSS. Zadorov would be a great addition, but I'm glad he is finally playing at Buffalo.

Shestyorkin looked fine, imo, he might be stronger than Sorokin at his current form.

Dergachyov looked good, but I think it's next year for him. Okulov looked interesting sometimes, but I really can't see him carrying this team at top six role. Kraskovsky is now very close to a lock for a 4-th line center role, imo. Was expecting better performance from Leshchenko.

Some injury troubles this year: Zykov and Nichushkin are officially out, don't really know what is the injury status of Tkachev, Mamin and Rudenkov.

If we are making a very pessimistic assumption that all the injured guys are out, I would say lines could be something like this:

Buchnevich-Barbashev-Goldobin
Scherbak-Kamenev-Tolchinsky
Bryukvin-Sharov-Golyshev
Korshkov-Kraskovsky-Fishchenko
Penkovsky/Leshchenko

Rafikov-Yudin
Gavrikov-Provorov
Pautov-Valiev
Glukhov/Paygin

Shestyorkin
Sorokin
Kostin

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Golyshev on the third line?

Tikhonov is also to be considered for a spot on the blueline. Good player.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Glukhov played at the 4 nations I think.
no Baldaev?
Are you sure about Goldobin even being considered for a spot?

Last time I checked Baldayev was stuck at MHL.
Goldobin was mentioned by Bragin as one of the guys to fix the powerplay.

Golyshev on the third line?

I looked today with a cooler head at the line combinations from my earlier post and now it doesn't look good to me too (not only the third line actually). Anyway, I think more important is which concept will Bragin choose: will it be Bill/Varnakov's classic 'top six + bottom six' or maybe 'balanced top nine + botom three'. If it will be 9+3, then I don't see real issues with Golyshev or any other attacking minded and not very phisical guy on the third line as long as it is balanced out with other guys.

he's this year's zhafyarov and at the last wjc zhavyarov looked underwhelming, and he played on the big ice. the third line is pretty generous here.

It's not that bad if he is this year's Zhafyarov, as long as he is not this year's Khlopotov. :)

Also was re-thinking about Kraskovsky, maybe I'm too biased in favor of him and he isn't actually a lock for a 4-th line C, because, imo, Fishchenko would fit there better.

Btw, googled about Tkachev's injury and looks like it's day-to-day, so he should be ready for the final camp. I actually hope he makes it to WJC, because his chemistry with Barbashev could really help the powerplay, which looks currently as a weakest spot of this year's team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How are Rafikov's chances of making the cut? I thought he played a pretty big role in the SSS and Bragin seems to like him. Is he a good bet to make the WJC squad?

Any other insight on the kid would also be appreciated. I haven't had the chance to see him play very much, and I'm unsure what kind of game he really brings. I've generally heard he's a more defensive defencemen, but his offensive stats seem pretty impressive as well. Could he have some real NHL upside?

Rafikov seems to be a lock. Also Bragin did some captaincy tryouts before. He wasn't tossing the "C" around during the SSS. Gives he is pleased with Rafikov's leadership. Adds to his solid play.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Atas - which guys do you like? Any projected lines? I trust your pov.

Bragin has amind of his own too. I don't hink I can predict his roster choices 100%. There will be one or two surprises probably.

The first line combo of Barbashev - Buchnevich will probably remain intact. I don't know if he goes with Tkachev or maybe Goldobin. Goldobin is a lock barring injury. Then there is Kamenev and Sharov. I did like Kraskovsky at SSS, me might be on the roster. But we're definitely talking about the 4C barring injuries.

Mamin - Sharov is natural. They played with Bryukvin before. No idea who takes the 3rd spot on that line in Bragins mind.

Kraskocky played with Golyshev. And then here is the other spot that is probably still a work in progress for Bragin.

Overall the problem with this year is we don't have any clear cut future superstars. But a great depth. There are 10-15 players who could take the bottom 5 spots and it would be more of a chemistry and strategy related choice. I guess it will suck for the guys left off the roster, but it is what it is.

The D ist regretably still a much easier choice.

Yudin-Rafikov

Baldaev-Gavrikov

Tikhonov/Glukhov-Valiev

Paygin

and I'd take Provorov. 97?who cares? It's not like we're breeding Shea Webers every year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
he's this year's zhafyarov and at the last wjc zhavyarov looked underwhelming, and he played on the big ice. the third line is pretty generous here.

I have to disagree with you about Zhafyarov. Consistently, I think he turned up as the best player not on the first line. Yes, he is tiny, but he played fearless, and the big guys could never seem to line him up for a good hit. He skated around the danger zone (slot) like a free bird and challenged them to make him pay. They couldn't, as I recall.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I have to believe that Leschenko earned a spot by his performance at the SSS.

If he did then Kraskovsky has to as well, same with Okulov.Shatsky and Dergachev had good showing but from what I've been hearing are far from locks.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I have to believe that Leschenko earned a spot by his performance at the SSS.

I have a mixed feelings about Leshchenko actually: he didn't look good to me as a first line candidate, but I would be pretty much fine with him somewhere on a third/fourth line, in fact, it might be a good idea to keep the Leshchenko-Fishchenko-Bryukvin line from SSS.

If he did then Kraskovsky has to as well, same with Okulov.Shatsky and Dergachev had good showing but from what I've been hearing are far from locks.

There is a difference: Leshchenko was already considered very close to a lock before SSS.

Bad news: Scherbak got a scary looking injury and was carried off the ice on a stretcher and while head/neck and movement tests are ok, there is, of course, no timeline for his return yet. :(

Btw, Sorokin was sent to MHL.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I have a mixed feelings about Leshchenko actually: he didn't look good to me as a first line candidate, but I would be pretty much fine with him somewhere on a third/fourth line

I agree, he showed 0 finishing capabilities. Missed about 10 sure goal set-ups. Just no room for a guy who cant finish that poorly on the top 3 times. BTW don't forget Goldobin, Kamenev, Buch, Sharov and I suppose Golyshev are pretty much locks. Throw in Barbashev, Tkachev, Okulov and Tolchinsky and there isn't much room up front. As long as the named guys are there, I could care less who else is up there, they wont be getting ice time to make much of an impact anyways.

One guy who IMO really looked bad was Dergachyov. He appeared to be much slower than everyone else on the ice and was turnover machine. Apparently NHL scouts love the guy, I don't know.

Guy who made the biggest impact during the SSS in the shortest time was Tolchinsky. He was awesome with Okulov and Shatski. That whole line was dominating while together. Have to think Bragin was impressed. That was the most dominating game in the entire series. All 3 guys were noticeably better when together but Tolchinsky was the man starting the plays, making the great passes. Optimal 2nd/3rd line for the WJC. Next game when Tolchinsky was out of the lineup it was night and day like you wouldn't believe.

Last point - Provorov was awesome. He earned himself a spot as did Valeyev IMO. Throw in Rafikov, Yudin and Gavrikov and you got a solid top 5. Paigin surprised too. Thought he is similar to Tryamkin in a sense that he has good speed and mobility for a big guy. I remember him being slower than he actually is for some reason. Good puck moving abilities.

Still would have liked to see Pilipenko and Nekolenko get an invite to the SSS.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I agree, he showed 0 finishing capabilities. Missed about 10 sure goal set-ups. Just no room for a guy who cant finish that poorly on the top 3 times. BTW don't forget Goldobin, Kamenev, Buch, Sharov and I suppose Golyshev are pretty much locks. Throw in Barbashev, Tkachev, Okulov and Tolchinsky and there isn't much room up front. As long as the named guys are there, I could care less who else is up there, they wont be getting ice time to make much of an impact anyways.

One guy who IMO really looked bad was Dergachyov. He appeared to be much slower than everyone else on the ice and was turnover machine. Apparently NHL scouts love the guy, I don't know.

Guy who made the biggest impact during the SSS in the shortest time was Tolchinsky. He was awesome with Okulov and Shatski. That whole line was dominating while together. Have to think Bragin was impressed. That was the most dominating game in the entire series. All 3 guys were noticeably better when together but Tolchinsky was the man starting the plays, making the great passes. Optimal 2nd/3rd line for the WJC. Next game when Tolchinsky was out of the lineup it was night and day like you wouldn't believe.

Last point - Provorov was awesome. He earned himself a spot as did Valeyev IMO. Throw in Rafikov, Yudin and Gavrikov and you got a solid top 5. Paigin surprised too. Thought he is similar to Tryamkin in a sense that he has good speed and mobility for a big guy. I remember him being slower than he actually is for some reason. Good puck moving abilities.

I thought Dergachyov looked good, he certainly didn't seem that slow and was very difficult to handle along the boards. Everyone seems down on Sherbak for some reason but I agree with your points that Tolchinsky and Provorov stood out , and performed much better than the other NA invites whom I thought looked average at best.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I would like to hear you explain why you are so adamantly convinced that Leschenko is incapable of finishing. When I hear that criticism, it implies to me that you are talking about someone who is generating lots of scoring chances - I agree with that in Leschenko's case - but just unable to put the puck in the net for some reason. You didn't complete your thought on why you have concluded that Leschenko has "0 finishing capabilities," but it did seem evident to me that he was among the few guys who was willing to stick his nose out and consistently drive deep into high percentage scoring territory, even if he didn't finish in many cases when he arrived there.

Its great to have a lot of elegant little guys like Tonchinsky and Tkachev dancing around and putting on a show near the boards, in what can be described as zero percent scoring territory, but playing on the small rinks in Canada, its going to be necessary to put a few guys on the ice who have the balls to stick their nose out and drive deep into prime scoring territory in the slot. Leschenko was definitely the most combative Russian player at the SSS, and Dergachov was also a big, strong, talented guy who was willing to drive into the slot to get a good scoring chance, although he might be judged as not mature enough yet. Just a thought.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Leshchenko was expected to bring some size to Barbashev's line, but he looked much better in summer games than at SSS.

Totally disagree about Dergachyov, he was one of the best our guys in the second half of the SSS, carried a lot of workload.

About Provorov - who cares if he is 1997 born, he already reads the game like a pro with at least couple years of experience.

Pilipenko was invited, but got injured (yes, again :( ), Nekolenko isn't tearing up the MHL, although I was hoping he would get an invite to the 4 Nations. Anyway, they (as well as Sergeev, who was, imo, more notable omission) are 1996 born, so they still have a year ahead of them.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I thought Dergachyov looked good, he certainly didn't seem that slow and was very difficult to handle along the boards. Everyone seems down on Sherbak for some reason but I agree with your points that Tolchinsky and Provorov stood out , and performed much better than the other NA invites whom I thought looked average at best.

Speed definitely not there. Not necessarily slow, just cant carry the puck through the neutral zone -every time he tried he was caught. But the main issue was far too many turnovers, very excessive. He would just hold on to the puck until it was eventually taken away.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I would like to hear you explain why you are so adamantly convinced that Leschenko is incapable of finishing. When I hear that criticism, it implies to me that you are talking about someone who is generating lots of scoring chances - I agree with that in Leschenko's case - but just unable to put the puck in the net for some reason. You didn't complete your thought on why you have concluded that Leschenko has "0 finishing capabilities," but it did seem evident to me that he was among the few guys who was willing to stick his nose out and consistently drive deep into high percentage scoring territory, even if he didn't finish in many cases when he arrived there.

Its great to have a lot of elegant little guys like Tonchinsky and Tkachev dancing around and putting on a show near the boards, in what can be described as zero percent scoring territory, but playing on the small rinks in Canada, its going to be necessary to put a few guys on the ice who have the balls to stick their nose out and drive deep into prime scoring territory in the slot. Leschenko was definitely the most combative Russian player at the SSS, and Dergachov was also a big, strong, talented guy who was willing to drive into the slot to get a good scoring chance, although he might be judged as not mature enough yet. Just a thought.

The offense went south when Tolchinsky was out of the lineup. They went from huge win to huge loss. It was obvious that Tolchinsky made the entire line dominant the entire game, he makes players around him better. IMO this makes him essential. He knows the small rinks well, he has taken beatings in the OHL and still performs. I would not worry about these things.

Leschenko on separate occasions was set up on touch passing plays and also in alone on the goalie and could not finish. He is like a Burasov from last year. Yeah he does other things like you mentioned, just forget about the offense. He was given a tonne of PP time, I feel that Bragin was trying to push him a bit to show a little more than he did.

Dergachev maybe re-evaluate in the future, just not mature enough yet. As for the other non CHL SSS guys, besides Okulov and at times Shatski, not a lot of offense at all. Low passing atypical of past teams, more dump and chase, trapping style of hockey. No stretch passes etc. IMO, I like the high passing, puck possession style teams, which have been successful in the past at the WJC. The additions coming should help this problem.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The offense went south when Tolchinsky was out of the lineup. They went from huge win to huge loss. It was obvious that Tolchinsky made the entire line dominant the entire game, he makes players around him better. IMO this makes him essential. He knows the small rinks well, he has taken beatings in the OHL and still performs. I would not worry about these things.

Leschenko on separate occasions was set up on touch passing plays and also in alone on the goalie and could not finish. He is like a Burasov from last year. Yeah he does other things like you mentioned, just forget about the offense. He was given a tonne of PP time, I feel that Bragin was trying to push him a bit to show a little more than he did.

Dergachev maybe re-evaluate in the future, just not mature enough yet. As for the other non CHL SSS guys, besides Okulov and at times Shatski, not a lot of offense at all. Low passing atypical of past teams, more dump and chase, trapping style of hockey. No stretch passes etc. IMO, I like the high passing, puck possession style teams, which have been successful in the past at the WJC. The additions coming should help this problem.

With all due respect, I see it entirely different than you do. I know that you are a big CHL guy, but honestly, I am trying to think of a single CHL forward who distinguished himself for Russia in the SSS. Even Barbashev failed to impress. Tolchinsky is highly skilled, and made a beautiful pass to Okulov on a 2-on-1, but beyond that, I think you are overstating his role as being the dominant factor for success in Game 3. In Game 4, there were a lot of factors that led to Canada's 5-1 win other than the absence of Tolchinsky.

In fact, IMO, one of the big problems with guys who go to the CHL is that, if they had the potential to be a leader and a "dominant factor" because of their talent and skill, the real World forces them to step into the background and be a follower in the CHL. They are usually either alone or 1 of 2 among Russians, don't speak a lot of English in most cases, and are accordingly in a bad position to step up in front of everybody and declare themselves a leader. Its easier to just try to blend in and get along. Also, they won't be executing any Russian-style passing combinations in the CHL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
via @nikscherbak:

Thanks everyone for all the prayers and thoughts this weekend. Feeling much better now and hope to be back on the ice soon!

That's sounds very positive to me. :) I'm pretty sure he will be given a chance by Bragin, because it wouldn't be a very clever thing to cut a player with such obvious talent (and he is also not bad this season, >1.5 ppg currently) just because he didn't impress in his two debut games on NT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad