WJC: WJC Rosters - United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No question. This team had a lot of leaders step up through the course of the tournament - not all of which had letters - but Stepan was unquestionably the guy and the only choice for the captaincy.

My favorite part about Stepan this tournament was tonight. His first two periods (and his line collectively) played the worst they have all tournament. No offense created, on the ice for the first two IIRC Canada goals but they didn't fold. They were amazing the rest of the night.

I agree completely. I was a bit disappointed in his play early on (said it in the GDT as well), but their resolve was tremendous. He isn't a very vocal leader, it sounds like, but his on ice play really oozes tenacity and leadership.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Looks like they picked the right team huh? I had a special feeling about this team watching the pre-tournament games and they proved me right.

Blais did a phenomenal job with this team. The evaluation camp / late cuts should be done from now on.

A proud, proud day for US Hockey.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I agree completely. I was a bit disappointed in his play early on (said it in the GDT as well), but their resolve was tremendous. He isn't a very vocal leader, it sounds like, but his on ice play really oozes tenacity and leadership.

Yep. You can just tell how much everyone respects him and followed his lead. From what I've seen, it seems like Carlson was the vocal guy in the locker room and what not, but Stepan was leading the charge with his play. You knew that line would eventually get it going tonight and boy did they.

This was my first extended viewing of Stepan and he blew me away. There are a lot of posters in this thread that were extremely wrong about this guy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No question. This team had a lot of leaders step up through the course of the tournament - not all of which had letters - but Stepan was unquestionably the guy and the only choice for the captaincy.

My favorite part about Stepan this tournament was tonight. His first two periods (and his line collectively) played the worst they have all tournament. No offense created, on the ice for the first two IIRC Canada goals but they didn't fold. They were amazing the rest of the night.

no doubt crow will be for dinner for many tomorrow. i think all of us where concerned about a few picks, but to those of us that defended this team, we simply stated that we finally have great coaching and goaltending, and that truly was the difference. Iknow JC will be in goal next year, but USA Hockey must do everything to bring Blais back. this team will truly be a power in 2011.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
no doubt crow will be for dinner for many tomorrow. i think all of us where concerned about a few picks, but to those of us that defended this team, we simply stated that we finally have great coaching and goaltending, and that truly was the difference. Iknow JC will be in goal next year, but USA Hockey must do everything to bring Blais back. this team will truly be a power in 2011.

A team with Kreider, Bourque, Campbell, Fowler, Zucker, D'Amigo, etc. with Blais coaching them should do amazing again in 2011.

Some of the younger guys left off will also be hugely helpful.

I can't wait to see guys like Saad on this team.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
A team with Kreider, Bourque, Campbell, Fowler, Zucker, D'Amigo, etc. with Blais coaching them should do amazing again in 2011.

hopefully fowler isnt in the NHL by then!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Looks like they picked the right team huh? I had a special feeling about this team watching the pre-tournament games and they proved me right.

Blais did a phenomenal job with this team. The evaluation camp / late cuts should be done from now on.

This is the best part about it in the long run. A lot of us USA Hockey followers have criticized the organization as being stubborn and short sighted with their politics, favoritism, and insistence to do it their way instead of doing whatever it took to get the results.

The last 5 years we've probably thrown away a few medals in this tournament do to inferior NTDP coaching choices and a impotent selection process that put our teams at a disadvantage from the start. We had some extremely talented teams and players wasted due to this.

Dean Blais, his staff, and this team, really emphasized what could be done and should have been done before. Kudos to them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

John Moore anyone? Mitch Wahl? this team was a team and not a collection of individual parts. very proud moment that i got to share with my family, i am truly proud of these kids and my country tonight.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
John Moore anyone? Mitch Wahl? this team was a team and not a collection of individual parts. very proud moment that i got to share with my family, i am truly proud of these kids and my country tonight.

Is Moore still eligible for next year? Couldn't remember his birth date and I didn't feel like looking it up.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Yep. I hate to undercut this team and this process, but there shouldn't be any drop off in available talent next year. Losing guys like Stepan, Carlson, and Schroeder will be felt, but there's a lot in the pipeline to be had.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Is Moore still eligible for next year? Couldn't remember his birth date and I didn't feel like looking it up.

No he's not. It was one of the things he was crying about when he thought his spot was guaranteed. Basically said he was going to prove the USA would regret leaving him off.....:nod:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yep. I hate to undercut this team and this process, but there shouldn't be any drop off in available talent next year. Losing guys like Stepan, Carlson, and Schroeder will be felt, but there's a lot in the pipeline to be had.

I'm really curious to see who steps up to lead the team next year, too.

This team seemed to have a ton of leadership from Stepan and Carlson, so it'll be interesting to see who will lead next year.

I really hope Blais comes back. This blue collar effort and speed that this team had were just fantastic to watch.

This team was so refreshing. I'm used to seeing all star teams put together that just disappoint year after year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

100% agree.... cant wait to see Saad, Ambroz, Merrill, Forbort, Watson, Buddish, Faulk, Bjugstad, Knight, Etem, etc on this team. we got gold to defend and my Lord do i like what we can bring to the table on our soil.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
100% agree.... cant wait to see Saad, Ambroz, Merrill, Forbort, Watson, Buddish, Faulk, Bjugstad, Knight, Etem, etc on this team. we got gold to defend and my Lord do i like what we can bring to the table on our soil.

I'm probably most excited about Saad and Merrill out of that group, but it's a VERY good group of young kids that will make this team a competitor again.

Frankly, as long as they all work out, the 2012 team should be great as well.

Jack Campbell will still be eligible then, I believe, as he's a January 9th birthday and will turn 20 after the tournament.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

This team seemed to have a ton of leadership from Stepan and Carlson, so it'll be interesting to see who will lead next year.

I really hope Blais comes back. This blue collar effort and speed that this team had were just fantastic to watch.

This team was so refreshing. I'm used to seeing all star teams put together that just disappoint year after year.

It's hard to say, but just looking at guys from this team that are eligible, I'd say guys like D'Amigo and Bourque play the right way and seem to be natural leaders. Fowler as well. It'll be hard to replicate the leaders this team had with Stepan and Carlson gone, but it can be done.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Ah, bummer. I was hoping he could get used next year.

I honestly don't think he'd be missed either way. It'd be nice to have him available for the process, but the US is always able to produce an abundance of slick, puck movers at this level.

The difference is that Ron Rolston took 7 of them, all exactly of the same ilk, a mistake Sweden made this year. Dean Blais took a blend of everything. Guys like Lashoff and Ramage (necessities on this team) would have never even been considered in the decision process with past US teams.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

You named them in your last post, but I had to put money on anyone I'd say D'Amigo.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm probably most excited about Saad and Merrill out of that group, but it's a VERY good group of young kids that will make this team a competitor again.

Frankly, as long as they all work out, the 2012 team should be great as well.

Jack Campbell will still be eligible then, I believe, as he's a January 9th birthday and will turn 20 after the tournament.

You're correct. Campbell still has two mores WJCs for the team, and it's hard to project goalies, but this kid has got it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Campbell had thousands of Canadian fans cheering his name, hoping to disrupt him. For a young kid, that's really freaking tough. He's only 17 and handled it like a pro. Didn't let anything get to him and made some fantastic saves.

ICE in his veins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad