WJC: WJC Rosters - United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Emerson Etem

How has there only been one mention of this guy in 26 pages discussing the US roster? I admit I hadn't heard of Emerson Etem until I did some research to see who were worthy players for this team about 6 weeks ago. He played for the under-17 team last year and left this year to go play for Medicine Hat. The guy is tied for third in the WHL in goals right now as a 17 year old. That's not even good enough for a WJC camp invite? That's called politics, folks. What a joke. Same old crap every year. You cross the USA Hockey people, the NTDP people, they'll hold it against you, even if it hurts the team they put on the ice in this tournament.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
How has there only been one mention of this guy in 26 pages discussing the US roster? I admit I hadn't heard of Emerson Etem until I did some research to see who were worthy players for this team about 6 weeks ago. He played for the under-17 team last year and left this year to go play for Medicine Hat. The guy is tied for third in the WHL in goals right now as a 17 year old. That's not even good enough for a WJC camp invite? That's called politics, folks. What a joke. Same old crap every year. You cross the USA Hockey people, the NTDP people, they'll hold it against you, even if it hurts the team they put on the ice in this tournament.

It's a shame I agree. USA Hockey is a joke in this regard. I love it everytime a top player chooses USHL, Minnesota High school, MajJrA, etc over this joke they call NTDP. (I bet the U17's have a mass exodus next year. )

Emerson easily deserved an invite

Superscout

Aug 15, 2007
It's a shame I agree. USA Hockey is a joke in this regard. I love it everytime a top player chooses USHL, Minnesota High school, MajJrA, etc over this joke they call NTDP. (I bet the U17's have a mass exodus next year. )

That may explain why Carlson and McRae were left off the roster last year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

You do realize this is a tourney dominated by 19 year olds? Etem will get his shot next year. As for the anti-CHL bias-take a good long look at the makeup of the U.S. team and tell if that's a legit argument.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It says in the game notes on USA Hockey that the team voted and Stepan got the C while Schroeder, Warsofsky and Carlson got A's.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It says in the game notes on USA Hockey that the team voted and Stepan got the C while Schroeder, Warsofsky and Carlson got A's.

Anybody else surprised Kristo didn't even get a letter? Hopefully (for habs fans) he can continue to progress and have a strong tournament.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia

Etem has a very good goal scorers touch around the net, but hes very one dimensional at this point. Hes fast but his hockey sense and vision are still questionable. As a 17 year old he wouldnt have had as much as an impact as you'd think. CHL or not, hes not that big of an omission.

USA is only going to take complete players at 17. Thats why they took Zucker. Id be more surprised if he was omitted over Etem. Im a huge fan of Zuckers, as Ive said on here before, hes the best 17 year old USA forward as far as being able to play in any situation.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why? Because he was drafted by the Rangers and you're a Ranger fan? He isn't as close to a lock as you'd like to believe or have everyone else believe.

Yeah. It was because I was a Rangers fan that I thought he was a lock. I guess Blais is just a Rangers fan as well for giving him huge ice time and making him captain. :sarcasm:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm amused by all the "Kristo for captain" talk from habs fans in this thread. The guy obviously has skill, but he was an offense killer against the Swiss with his puckhogging and "dangling."

Glad we amuse you. Feel free to laugh at the Head coach who suggested that Kristo may be wearing the C for USA after the summer camp.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Glad we amuse you. Feel free to laugh at the Head coach who suggested that Kristo may be wearing the C for USA after the summer camp.

It's not like I'm rooting against him. This thread was filled with people with an agenda--and it's not limited to you guys, since there were ample amounts of Canucks fans demanding Schroeder as the obvious choice, and a number of Rangers fans who felt that it should be one of their players. The humor comes in how "obvious" it is to homer fans, especially when a player has a game like the one Kristo did yesterday.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's not like I'm rooting against him. This thread was filled with people with an agenda--and it's not limited to you guys, since there were ample amounts of Canucks fans demanding Schroeder as the obvious choice, and a number of Rangers fans who felt that it should be one of their players. The humor comes in how "obvious" it is to homer fans, especially when a player has a game like the one Kristo did yesterday.

Really? I thought the one Rangers fan who said something was just making a joke. Maybe I ignored a bunch of other posts. To be honest, I was really surprised when Stepan was voted captain.

edit: yeesh, looking back at some of the earlier posts about the roster, what's the deal with McRae not being a top six forward with this team when everyone thought he was one of the most talented guys available? I admit I didn't watch him really closely last game, but I didn't see him do much when he was on the ice.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So proud of this team. I hope the changes to the process and going outside the NTDP for coaching has been an eye opener to USA Hockey.

How they've done it all without Mitch Wahl is amazing...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Gold!!!!!!

There's a lot of crow to be had in this thread.

What a team. Amazing. Not the most talented overall and a few picks of players that were vehemently questioned, but Dean Blais is the man. I hope to the Hockey Gods that he wants to do this again next year.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm also proud of my boys! I am extremely happy for Dean Blais...

it was great to see my Leaf prospect D'Amigo bring it...

SWEET

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
solid roster selection id say!

Yes sir! Even in hindsight, after having seen the entire tournament, I wouldn't replace anyone. Walker was fine when he played, but barely did in the final rounds, and Lashoff was shaky a lot with the puck, but he battled and was a nice physical presence.

John Ramage had a HELL of a game tonight.:yo:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Reading through the "who should be captain" debate was fun, but now that all is said and done I don't think there's any question Stepan was the right choice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reading through the "who should be captain" debate was fun, but now that all is said and done I don't think there's any question Stepan was the right choice.

I loved the bit about him and two other kids (forget who) going to Blais to ask for a day off and speaking for the team. Just a great little fact and shows a lot about the kid's leadership.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

No question. This team had a lot of leaders step up through the course of the tournament - not all of which had letters - but Stepan was unquestionably the guy and the only choice for the captaincy.

My favorite part about Stepan this tournament was tonight. His first two periods (and his line collectively) played the worst they have all tournament. No offense created, on the ice for the first two IIRC Canada goals but they didn't fold. They were amazing the rest of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad