Jason Zucker - 92 - Denver NCAA
Chris Brown - 91 - Michigan NCAA
Emerson Etem - 92 - Medicine Hat WHL
Matt Nieto - 92 - Boston U NCAA/Tri Cities WHL
Brandon Saad - 92 - Sagainaw OHL
Jared Knight - 92 - London OHL
Rocco Grimaldi - 93 - NTDP/Vancouver WHL
Shane McColgan - 93 - Kelowna WHL

I think the US picked a team for this past tournament that had a ton of speed and was great in transition. I dont think they created all that much off the cycle but they were very effective off the rush. I think they will go for the same type of team regardless of age and size. I could see them taking Brown to fill Jenks' role and Saad to fill McRaes. The other forwards mentioned are fast, tough and skilled, and would give the US a ton of speed. A lot will change, and Im sure there will be 2-3 picks that are completely off the board. Always fun to speculate.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
USA for 2011, Ill take a shot....

Goalies
Jack Campbell - 92 - Windsor OHL
Brandon Maxwell - 91 - Kitchener OHL

Defense (8 if Fowler cant go)
Cam Fowler - 91 - Windsor OHL
John Ramage - 91 - Wisconsin NCAA
Nick Leddy - 91 - Minnesota NCAA
Jon Merrill - 92 - Michigan NCAA/Plymouth OHL
Jared Tinordi - 92 - Notre Dame NCAA/London OHL
Justin Faulk - 92 - Minnesota Duluth NCAA
Derek Forbort - 92 - North Dakota NCAA
Steve Johns - 92 - Notre Dame NCAA/Windsor OHL

Forwards (13)
Ryan Bourque - 91 - Quebec QMJHL
Chris Kreider - 91 - Boston College NCAA
Kyle Palmieri - 91-Notre Dame NCAA
Jerry D'Amigo - 91 - RPI NCAA
Jeremy Morin - 91 - Kitchener OHL
Jason Zucker - 92 - Denver NCAA
Chris Brown - 91 - Michigan NCAA
Emerson Etem - 92 - Medicine Hat WHL
Matt Nieto - 92 - Boston U NCAA/Tri Cities WHL
Brandon Saad - 92 - Sagainaw OHL
Jared Knight - 92 - London OHL
Rocco Grimaldi - 93 - NTDP/Vancouver WHL
Shane McColgan - 93 - Kelowna WHL

I think the US picked a team for this past tournament that had a ton of speed and was great in transition. I dont think they created all that much off the cycle but they were very effective off the rush. I think they will go for the same type of team regardless of age and size. I could see them taking Brown to fill Jenks' role and Saad to fill McRaes. The other forwards mentioned are fast, tough and skilled, and would give the US a ton of speed. A lot will change, and Im sure there will be 2-3 picks that are completely off the board. Always fun to speculate.

pretty nice list here. I am not sure Maxwell even gets an invite after the debacle that occured last year. I can see the US going with Gibson or Houser instead, and even Yanakeff imo.

I am not sure they will go with all those 2011 eligible forwards. Do you really think Grimaldi is ready yet? There are a ton of options here, and there is no doubt about it. I would rather see Ambroz on this team over Grimaldi imo. I know Grimaldi plays for the USNDP, so that is a huge plus, and is also a warrior, but Ambroz is a man already, and his size and skill would be better suited for this tourney imo.

I was debating the defence for awhile. Dean Blais did a great job of mixing in a solid group of players from all over the place. Fowler, Lashoff, and Carlson from the CHL (I know Carlson plays in the AHL), Donovan, Gardiner, Warsofsky, and Ramage from college. The group of dmen you picked (outside of Fowler and Ramage) all come from the same USDP group, not sure if he is going to take that many alumni. It makes sense in the fact that they will be familiar with one another, and yes they will be playing at different colleges next year, but I am not sure he goes with all 5 from this years USDP.

I will try and make a team myself, so you can tear apart my choices. ;)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I will take a stab at it as well....

Defence

with Fowler

Cam Fowler
John Ramage
Jon Merrill
Jared Tinordi
Justin Faulk
Nick Leddy
Brandon Archibald

without Fowler

John Ramage
Jon Merrill
Jared Tinordi
Justin Faulk
Nick Leddy
Brandon Archibald
Brian Dumoulin

forwards

Chris Kreider
Jeremy Morin
Kyle Palmieri
Jerry D'Amigo
Ryan Bourque
Jason Zucker
Jared Knight
Emerson Etem
Zach Budish
Drew Shore
Shane McColgan
Brandon Saad
Mitchell Callahan

goalies

Jack Campbell
Michael Houser

thats it...

on the defence it was very hard to not pick Johns or Forbort. Both are huge guys, who will get drafted very high. I just wanted to add a CHL dman like Archibald to the mix, since he will be playing against many of team Canada's players. And if Fowler is a no go, I like Brian Dumoulin's game overall. I think he is a piece to the puzzle that fits.

offensively, I do not think this team will be questioned if they can score. This arguably could be one of the best and deepest groups we have ever brought. The 6 kids that will be back alone, should be in store for even bigger and better things.

I had a hard time not putting Nieto, Ambroz, or Watson on this team. Just not enough room. I liked going with Budish and Shore, as they would likely fill those crash and bang shut down roles very nicely. Jared Knight is as dynamic as you could want, he can play any style of game, and he belongs here. McColgan should be the "next great one" that this country produces, so get him started right away!

I really like the way Michael Houser can play the game. He has struggled at times, but for him to be in the CHL right now, is giving him experience and pressure that some of the others just aren't seeing right now. If Adam Brown choices to play for the US, then he makes this team hands down imo...but if not, there is plenty of debate here.

We saw this year that just because you made the team last year (Wahl), does not mean you will make it this year. John Ramage will need to prove he belongs here again, as I feel the depth at defence is greater then this years. We will be having a lot of turnover on defence with or without Fowler, so it probably is a safe bet that Ramage makes it.

all in all, I like this team's chances of winning gold again as long as we have an elite coach like Blais, and Campbell continues to live up to the hype.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
I think Grimaldi would have very similar numbers to McColgan if he was placed in a similiar situation in the WHL. Hes dynamite, plays the whole ice, and tough as nails. McColgan is in a great situation. The team is bad enough that they can give a 16 year old top line minutes and PP time, but good enough where they can stay in games and compete. Grimaldis USHL arent indicative of how good he is. If they pull him up for U18s, I bet they take him

I think Nieto is gonna be there. Theyve always brought him up with Zucker to the older team, and hes right with Zucker as most complete players on the team.

They may not take all 5 of those 92s from the NTDP on D but I wouldnt be surprised if they did. All will be top 2 round picks, possibly all 1st, and theyve never had that much size and talent back there all together.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Grimaldi would have very similar numbers to McColgan if he was placed in a similiar situation in the WHL. Hes dynamite, plays the whole ice, and tough as nails. McColgan is in a great situation. The team is bad enough that they can give a 16 year old top line minutes and PP time, but good enough where they can stay in games and compete. Grimaldis USHL arent indicative of how good he is. If they pull him up for U18s, I bet they take him

I think Nieto is gonna be there. Theyve always brought him up with Zucker to the older team, and hes right with Zucker as most complete players on the team.

They may not take all 5 of those 92s from the NTDP on D but I wouldnt be surprised if they did. All will be top 2 round picks, possibly all 1st, and theyve never had that much size and talent back there all together.

I do agree with you here....I think Nieto is a top end guy that accepted to come to this program, he is very skilled and confident on both sides of the puck. It was very hard for me to leave him off, but he has answered the USNDP call, so that will always help.

This is the biggest group of Dmen that I have ever seen this program produce. Kevin Clare is probably the least talked about of the 2010 eligible group, and he as well could go very high.

The US is going to have a lot of unhappy kids next year, as many very talented players will saddly be left of this team. I can't wait until Buffalo.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I don't know where to put this, but I assume a few USA fans may want to read this article on Carlson. Since this thread was active recently and it's about a USA WJC player and the WJCs, I'll stick it here.

link

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I don't know where to put this, but I assume a few USA fans may want to read this article on Carlson. Since this thread was active recently and it's about a USA WJC player and the WJCs, I'll stick it here.

link

Thanks for the article! Carlson is great, I'm glad he's a part of USA Hockey going forward and only wish he was Kings property too ;)

You have a good one there Washington :p:

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
In regards to next years roster, should be strong. It will be interesting who the coach is for next year as that will go a long way for deciding the roster.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here's my early, very early stab at the team I'd choose for the 2011 Tournament:

Forwards (x13)

Jerry D'Amigo (C) - Emerson Etem - Chris Kreider

Jeremy Morin - Matt Nieto - Kyle Palmieri

Ryan Bourque (A) - Jared Knight - Jason Zucker

Austin Watson - Tyler Maxwell - Chris Brown

Rocco Grimaldi

Defense (x7)

Cam Fowler (A) - Jon Merrill

John Ramage - Nick Leddy

Derek Forbort - Justin Faulk

Stephen Johns

Goalies (x2)

Jack Campbell

Andy Iles

Notes:

- Tough, tough choices here. I'm sure the actual team will be a lot different as it is very early going here. The Under 18 tournament and then the Summer Evaluation Camp will help make the picture a lot clearer, especially when picking between a multitude of talented '92s and '93s for only 6-7 spots up front.

- The Defense was tough. A guy like Tinordi could replace Johns or Forbort or you could see someone like Dumoulin sneak in or Wrenn.

- Up front, I took Grimaldi as the extra forward as from what I've read, he plays a similar game to what the WJC team had this year, although Grimaldi is a much more talented - albeit smaller - version. Fast, gritty, tenacious, with offense coming out of his ears. His huge Under 17 Challenge should parlay him onto the Under 18 team for the World Championships.

- Other notes on forwards. I chose Brown over Shore, Maxwell over Callahan, and Watson over everyone else. It's hard to leave such talented guys like McColgan, Ambroz, Saad, etc. off this team but they'll have their time.

- Backup goalie is a wild guess. Maxwell is probably the front-runner right now, and then you have Iles, Gibson, Mcneely, Yanakeff, etc.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
for those that missed the gold medal game for the WJC, NHL Network will be playing it within the next 15 minutes!!

They are finishing up the US vs. Sweden game, and then up next is the gold medal game.

just an f.y.i

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
been over 3 months since the last post....for the big US hockey gurus on here, has there been much change in projections since jan? looks like watson and forbort have really jumped in hype since january.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
been over 3 months since the last post....for the big US hockey gurus on here, has there been much change in projections since jan? looks like watson and forbort have really jumped in hype since january.

Other than those two, I'd say both Adam Clendening and Rocco Grimaldi further cemented themselves as serious contenders for the team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

it was very hard not to add Watson or Forbort to my roster a few months back...both kids belonged then as they do now. In all honesty, not too much has changed in this small amount of time, but I will throw a few names out there that should challenge for some spots.

Connor Brickley is a kid out of the USHL that seems to be getting in very good with USA Hockey. They brought him along for the U18 tourney as well as some other games The kid is a fire ball on the ice, and has some excellent hands and vision. Likely to be a top 50 pick in June, I would say he has really put his name on the USA map with his current USHL year and U18 performance.

Billy Arnold is another kid that doesn't get a lot of hype, but plays the game similar to Brickley. Big, strong, and not afraid to throw his body around, Arnold is a Dustin Brown type power forward (not overly big, but not afraid of anything). Billy has seen his stock rise since last year, and at this point should be another second round pick for the US. He spent this season with the USNDP, and from what I have seen and heard, has really been a coaches favorite...that goes a long way when it comes to selecting players you know will do whatever is asked of them.

Nick Bjugstad seems to be a kid scouts are either very high on...or still unsure of. But his season was a monster success with winning the prestigous Minnesota Mr. Hockey award this year. Kid has excellent size and skill, and if he can make a strong impression at Minny next year, he could be a kid to keep an eye on big time.

Rocco Grimaldi is the next Theo Fleury (hopefully without all the drama). This kid has really shown a lot to me over the past 6 months, as I can firmly see him making team USA in December right now. His U18 performance has cemented that, and I cant wait to see what he can do next year...please grow some buddy!!

Jared Knight has probably done as much for his status as any other player with his OHL playoff performance. The kid was on a near goal a game pace for London, while hovering close to a 2 point per game pace. He does everything you would like in a player..and looks to finally have his health issues under control. If there is any kid that is going to fight his way onto this team, it will be Jared.

Adam Clendening has been a name that some of us have been talking about for a few years now. He never has been under the radar, but with guys like Merrill, Forbort, Tinordi, and Johns getting much of the press, it is easy to lose sight of Adam. Like Justin Faulk, I think he will have an even bigger coming out party next year, and continue to open up those eyes with his excellent vision, shot and hands. Could be a very high end pick in 2011, could also fight out Leddy and Faulk for a spot on this blueline.

we will know more towards the end of the summer with the eval camp, but at this point there is a lot to like about what the US will be able to bring to the table in Buffalo. It may not have a ton of superstars, but the way it is looking this early on, I cannot recall a deeper pool for USA Hockey to choose from in my life..and that is no dream.

HockeyAddict30

Mar 29, 2010
pretty nice list here. I am not sure Maxwell even gets an invite after the debacle that occured last year. I can see the US going with Gibson or Houser instead, and even Yanakeff imo.

Funny that you say this because Maxwell was invited to last year's camp after the "debacle" that occurred the previous year. All issues have been pushed aside as far as many are concerned. He was not granted a roster spot this past WJC because of his recent play. If Maxwell plays on his "A" game that many witnessed during the 09/10 playoffs, he will be a front runner. Many of the coaches have said that it all depends on how the player is playing at the time they are choosing the roster. So, whoever is playing their best at that time will make the team. Whether it be Campbell, Houser, Maxwell, etc.

My personal guess/opinion in net:

1. Campbell
2. Maxwell

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I wonder how many of the NDTP from this past year's team they take.

Forbort Tinordi Merrill Faulk Johns.. four of those guys might make the team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I wonder how many of the NDTP from this past year's team they take.

Forbort Tinordi Merrill Faulk Johns.. four of those guys might make the team.

very well could be.....plus add Adam Clendening to this group as he is a legit candidate to make the team as well..very tough decisions ahead for sure..the blueline could be absolutely huge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino