WJC: Dec 26 GDT - Sweden vs. Canada

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Canada's forwards haven't been helping out the defense very well today, lots of open players darting into the slot. Hopefully it's just the players getting use to the bigger ice and learning to box out and force the other teams to shoot from outside.

woot_woot

Dec 26, 2006
Is that really hockey ?

Bigger ice surface=defensive boring hockey.

Not impressed by the offensive talent of the Canadian team anyway.

Its opposite.. more room to skate.. that’s why Canada hates open ice like that.

emb24*

yeah i don't like the bigger ice either, makes for more boring trapping hockey...and much less scoring

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
Not a good game by the Canucks so far. Terrible dump ins and the puck keeps on hopping over the Ds stick on the PPs

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Is that really hockey ?
2 crappy periods.
The automatic icing is the worst rule ever invented.
Bigger ice surface=defensive boring hockey.

Not impressed by the offensive talent of the Canadian team anyway.

Yes.
I think it's been two good periods.
Worst rule is a stretch. I don't like it though.
Wrong. Bigger ice surface=more space for artists.

Me neither.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Price has 20 saves so far, looking great, keeping his team alive. What a dismal period, Canada is lucky to have got that late goal. Hopefully Price continues to play well into the 3rd.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Cerebral has a jihad against Bourdon. In fact, he pretty much has a jihad against all the Canucks prospect. It is actually ridiculous. Bourdon has being, one of the best players on the ice today.

Bourdon has been good, unfortunately his partner isn't holding up his end of the deal. As a result Canada has become trapped in their own end for long periods of time while Bourdon is on the ice, but it's mostly due to Letang who has been a giveaway machine today.

Sweden has shown much better than Canada in this game, even though it doesn't look like they'll earn a result. I don't know why Canada seems to be so passive in pressuring Sweden when they posses the puck, perhaps Hartsburg has them paranoid with all his 'big ice' talk?

It seems only Bertram and Helm have been pressuring agressively. Bertram made things happen when he was moved up to the Toews line for a shift, not surprisingly.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I've been watching him closely and I don't think he's made a single mistake in this game. Forced his man to the outside on each play and broke up plays in front of the net.
You're obviously not watching him very close, he left a Swedish forward alone in front of the net during that shift where Canada was hemmed in deep and he ended up with the puck and a scoring opportunity. He hasn't been brutally bad or anything but he had a two minute stretch there (when I made my post) where he looked pretty bad positionally to me.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Wrong. Bigger ice surface=more space for artists.

I find that big ice generally favours trapping or teams that don't forcheck. And I feel that artists like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin, even Floppa when he's not injured or grumpy, are MUCH more entertaining to watch when they play on NHL-sized rinks. IMHO of course.

emb24*

bourdon's doing well..he got several crap-*** passes from letang on the pp though...
luc needs to do something about that unibrow though

too 9000 BC, caveman

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Sweden deserve atleast a goal.

I still can't understand how Hörnquist can play in the 4th line.

Price has been really Solid, but the shots have been close to worthless.

Lets turn this around.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
I find that big ice generally favours trapping or teams that don't forcheck. And I feel that artists like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin, even Floppa when he's not injured or grumpy, are MUCH more entertaining to watch when they play on NHL-sized rinks. IMHO of course.

I agree. That's not the ice's fault, though, it's the boring trapping system. ;)

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Bourdon has been good, unfortunately his partner isn't holding up his end of the deal. As a result Canada has become trapped in their own end for long periods of time while Bourdon is on the ice, but it's mostly due to Letang who has been a giveaway machine today.

Sweden has shown much better than Canada in this game, even though it doesn't look like they'll earn a result. I don't know why Canada seems to be so passive in pressuring Sweden when they posses the puck, perhaps Hartsburg has them paranoid with all his 'big ice' talk?

It seems only Bertram and Helm have been pressuring agressively. Bertram made things happen when he was moved up to the Toews line for a shift, not surprisingly.

Thank God someone else doesn't think that Letang is the defenseman that McGuire makes him out to be. He was the only defenseman on the Canadian team last year - besides Pokulok - that did nothing to impress me, and I felt that he was having a hard time controlling the puck on the point on the PP.

I thought I was just biased against French Canadian defensemen.

emb24*

i agree..lots of space to dump in and dump out..to trap along the blue lines, etc...

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006

Ya I agree with you. You'd think it would cause more offense but it does the opposite. I've seen some great international games but this one just shows how the big ice can be shut down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad