WJC 2015 - Roster Talk

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Add Honka and Rantanen plus the players that were in Lake Placid, and we have the following list:

Goalies (5):
Kevin Lankinen (HIFK) -95
Juuse Saros (HPK) -95
Kalle Hokkanen (TPS) -95
Ville Husso (HIFK) -95
Kaapo Kähkönen (TuTo) -96

Defensemen (16):
Jimi Kuronen (LeKi) -95
Mikke Levo (Ilves) -95
Joonas Lyytinen (KalPa) -95
Aleksi Mäkelä (Ilves) -95
Atte Mäkinen (Tappara) -95
Sami Niku (JYP) -96
Matias Pulli (TPS) -95
Joni Tuulola (HPK) -96
Alex Lintuniemi (Ottawa) -95
Mika Ilvonen (St. Cloud State) -95
Teemu Vuorisalo (Ässät) -95
Miro Keskitalo (TPS) -96
Erik Autio (Penn State) -95
Julius Honka (Swift Current) -95
Jere Rouhiainen (Tappara) -96
Eetu Sopanen (Pelicans) -96

Forwards (29):
Sebastian Aho (Kärpät) -97
Joose Antonen (JYP) -95
Roope Hintz (Ilves) -96
Antti Kalapudas (Kärpät) -96
Joel Kiviranta (Sport) -96
Artturi Lehkonen (Frölunda) -95
Teemu Lämsä (TPS) -96
Niko Ojamäki (Ässät) -95
Jesse Puljujärvi (Kärpät) -98
Otto Rauhala (Tappara) -95
Jonatan Tanus (LeKi) -95
Felix Westermarck (Sport) -95
Santeri Vuoti (HPK) -95
Julius Vähätalo (TPS) -95
Mikko Rantanen (TPS) -96
Juuso Ikonen (JYP) -95
Hannes Björninen (Pelicans) -95
Waltteri Hopponen (Sioux City) -96
Joel Janatuinen (Sioux City) -95
Juho Lammikko (Kingston) -96
Aleksi Saarela (Ässät) -97
Saku Kinnunen (KalPa) -95
Aleksi Mustonen (Ilves) -95
Kasperi Kapanen (KalPa) -96
Janne Puhakka (Chicoutimi) -95
Teemu Turunen (Jukurit) -95
Sami Anttila (Kärpät) -95
Henri Keskilohko (Ässät) -95
Timi Lahtinen (Blues) -95

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Was hoping Nättinen would get a change instead of Lämsä or Kalapudas. Well the centers are pretty much set so with Vähätalo/Kinnunen/Saarela/Björninen/Mustonen/Rauhala anyways.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Was hoping Nättinen would get a change instead of Lämsä or Kalapudas. Well the centers are pretty much set so with Vähätalo/Kinnunen/Saarela/Björninen/Mustonen/Rauhala anyways.

Yeap. I personally don't see anything in Lämsä.

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Yeap. I personally don't see anything in Lämsä.

Same here.

Could someone tell me little bit about Hannes Björninen? Seen him once. Looked pretty versatile but not anything special. There was a time when some of the writers thought he would get drafted. Now he's playing with men and has succeeded great, what I've heard.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Wow, Jortikka done some actual NA scouting?? Good for him!! And happy to see Puljujarvi on the team, didn't think that Jortikka have the cojonés for bringing him along.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Wow, Jortikka done some actual NA scouting?? Good for him!! And happy to see Puljujarvi on the team, didn't think that Jortikka have the cojonés for bringing him along.

Yeah that seems to be the case. Only Palmu, Parikka and Ojantakainen haven't played with U20 team from NA players.

As for Puljujärvi, Kärpät didn't take him to the European Tour, even though he would've been needed so Jortikka must have promised him a legit change.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Wow, Jortikka done some actual NA scouting?? Good for him!!
Looks like he no longer views the USHL as "the 2nd tier of US junior hockey" or whatever he called it in 09 with Haula...

I think Ojantakanen should be in the mix or at least get an invite to a camp. He pretty much carried Jokerit-A last year offensively and I bet he would have made his Liiga debut had he not wanted to keep his NCAA eligibility.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Finland-Russia starts in 30 minutes.

Stream

Lineup:

Husso (Starter)
Hokkanen

Lehkonen-Vähätalo-Ojamäki
Tuulola-Mäkinen

Aho-Kalapudas-Puljujärvi
Levo-Lyytinen

Hintz-Lämsä-Tanus
Pulli-Vuorisalo

Westermarck-Rauhala-Kiviranta
Kuronen-Niku

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Pulju making a strong case for himself to be on the final team, probably the most dangerous forward on the ice during the first two periods.

Really don't understand why Jortikka persists using Mäkinen on the 1st PP unit, makes no sense. This happened in Lake Placid as well.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Pulju making a strong case for himself to be on the final team, probably the most dangerous forward on the ice during the first two periods.

Really don't understand why Jortikka persists using Mäkinen on the 1st PP unit, makes no sense. This happened in Lake Placid as well.

Jea Puljujärvi has been nuts! by far the best player on ice. I really cant believe his barely 16 years old out there.. first full game im seeing of him and im staggered.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

I don't understand the powerplay units at all.

Lyytinen as mask man in 2nd pp and Mäkinen as shooter in 1st pp?

And jesus Puljujärvi has been good.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Wicked goal by Puljujärvi. Anyidea why Saarela isn't on the roster? Don't know wether to be conserned or not about the center department of the u20 class.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm not going to draw any concrete conclusions from these games as the actual WJC tournament is a lot harder, but I don't see what harm it would do to bring Puljujärvi along.

He doesn't look out of place so far at all, he's not unwilling to play a 2-way game, he's big and has scoring potential on this level even at the age of 16. These things are enough to convince me that taking him along wouldn't be a bad choice. He can play the 3rd line if needed, but considering the lack of firepower in this year's squad, he could make the top 6.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Some +/-'s from each player so far from U20 tournament:

+Puljujärvi, great skating and creates changes in every shift. best player so far. Little too eager on forecheck, which resulted some penalties
+Husso, really solid, doesn't panic, makes nice saves and doesn't give any rebounds
+Hintz, carries the pucks with confidence and isn't afraid to make plays. nice size and good defensive effort. good shot too. could be darkhorse to make the team
+Lehkonen, solid defense and few nice assists
+Rauhala, really good defensive play
+Vuorisalo, simple and solid game in every shift.
+Mäkinen, isn't really good on offensive side but defensively solid. nice skating and first pass
+Pulli, joins the rush eagerly and gives nice opening passes. good offensive tools but is small. could be #7 defender in the wjc as he provides rhd shot
+Lyytinen, really good offensive skills and can move the puck really well. takes too many penalties though.
+Aho, Kalapudas nice effort but Puljujärvi carried that line. Next year then.
+Ojamäki good defensive play and skating. nice 4th liner for the final team

-Tanus outside one assist, really invisible. we have enough small players already
-Levo isn't really good on anything and makes some stupid plays at times
-Niku terrible defensively, can move the puck but not well enough to compensate his weaknesses
-Kuronen meh not really good on anything
-Tuulola, his skating and defensive game aren't good enough yet
-Kiviranta,Läsmä,Westermarck good defensive effort but not enough offense

My team as of now. Saarela and Puljujärvi are the only questionmarks

Lehkonen-Kinnunen-Kapanen
Mustonen-Vähätalo-Puljujärvi
Rantanen-Saarela-Ikonen
Lammikko-Rauhala-Ojamäki
Hintz

Lintuniemi-Honka
Lyytinen-Mäkinen
Mäkelä-Vuorisalo
Ilvonen/Pulli

Saros
Husso
Kähkönen

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Let's hope that Jortikka can look past the fact that Puljujarvi is 16yo. If he is not in the top 12 forwards then bring him along anyway, Somebody will probably get hurt or just suck in WJC so we need someone who can be thrown in to the fire and produce.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I didn't see the games but based on your reports I say put Puljujärvi on the team. I'm always leery when a Team Finland leaves offensive potential off the team for not "fitting an available role"...as if we ever have too much of high end scoring.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I didn't see the games but based on your reports I say put Puljujärvi on the team. I'm always leery when a Team Finland leaves offensive potential off the team for not "fitting an available role"...as if we ever have too much of high end scoring.

They do that with the National team as well. Annoys the heck out of me.

It's a bit disappointing I can't see a scenario where there'd be enough room for both Laine and Puljujärvi in the team since they're both right wingers and the coaching stuff propably wouldn't want to take a chance with two 16 year olds. Laine may have sealed off his chances anyway with that abysmal behaviour.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
There is a red flag with this years U-20 team in my book and that is who's gonna be the go to guy with this team in the WJC? Lehkonen? No, he's strikes me as Jussi Jokinen type of guy. Kapanen? That didn't work out so well even in the U-18 level. Honka maybe in the defence, but i doubt it. At least we have awesome goaltending.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
There is a red flag with this years U-20 team in my book and that is who's gonna be the go to guy with this team in the WJC? Lehkonen? No, he's strikes me as Jussi Jokinen type of guy. Kapanen? That didn't work out so well even in the U-18 level. Honka maybe in the defence, but i doubt it. At least we have awesome goaltending.

Jea Honka will propably have to log big minutes and has to carry this team offensivily from back end. This particular 4-nations team has been really good, adding Saarela/Kapanen and co to the mix might propably harm cohesion but ofcouse have to take most talented players in. All and all more positive now than after Lake Placid by all accounts Czech,Russia,Sweden are very much beatable the North Americans still remain hard to beat.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Jea Honka will propably have to log big minutes and has to carry this team offensivily from back end. This particular 4-nations team has been really good, adding Saarela/Kapanen and co to the mix might propably harm cohesion but ofcouse have to take most talented players in. All and all more positive now than after Lake Placid by all accounts Czech,Russia,Sweden are very much beatable the North Americans still remain hard to beat.

You do realize that the czechs, russians & swedes all fielded B-squads in this tournament? Very few will make their final teams.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
You do realize that the czechs, russians & swedes all fielded B-squads in this tournament? Very few will make their final teams.

So is Finland. We also beat the swedes in Lake Placid so 2-0 at this point.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Very disappointed to hear about Tanus. Was very high on him a couple years ago.

He was better today and yesterday in 3rd period when he had change to play with Hintz and Lehkonen. Had 3 points in 3 games, which is pretty good.

That said, I don't think he will make the final team as Ikonen, Mustonen and Kapanen are similar players.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Have to say that the potential of this forward group is starting to look better and better.

Moving Rantanen to LW would give the following top-6:
Artturi Lehkonen (-95) - Aleksi Saarela (-97) - Kasperi Kapanen (-96)
Mikko Rantanen (-96) - Aleksi Mustonen (-95) - Jesse Puljujärvi (-98)

Some possibilities for the 3rd line:
Roope Hintz (-96) - Julius Vähätalo (-95) - Juuso Ikonen (-95)
Sebastian Aho (-97) - Antti Kalapudas (-96) - Juho Lammikko (-96)

Some possibilities for the 4th line:
Waltteri Hopponen (-96) - Otto Rauhala (-95) - Niko Ojamäki (-95)
Janne Puhakka (-95) - Saku Kinnunen (-95) - Hannes Björninen (-95)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad