WJC 2015 - Roster Talk

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Last year the NHL scouts said it wasnt the first time this particular Finlands age group gave up when they lost to Sweden 10-0 at u18. Now 9-1 to USA. I dont know what the previous let downs have been but is really becoming a worrying trend.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
That it is for sure. I'd still look into the coaching staff more than into players (and the federation who are choosing the coaches). These kind of losses are preventable. Also I guess the problem is that we don't have the playerbase to divide into different age groups. The older the team - the better the results, normally. U20 can pick up the best players from various age classes so obviously our strenght is there.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
USA is having all of the best players there, so wouldn't worry too much. Sweden also lost 7-1 to USA.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
That it is for sure. I'd still look into the coaching staff more than into players (and the federation who are choosing the coaches). These kind of losses are preventable. Also I guess the problem is that we don't have the playerbase to divide into different age groups. The older the team - the better the results, normally. U20 can pick up the best players from various age classes so obviously our strenght is there.

But this IS the current U20 with its picks from various age group so I'm not sure what you mean. It seems US is having a particularly strong group (even Sweden lost 7-1) and is set to have one for a while since some of the best players are just 17.

We should get Rantanen, Lehkonen and Honka but not a lot of clear better players on the way. Or am I missing something?

I do agree a lot of emphasis needs to be put into coaching and mature team system/defense. None of this "I'm just here for some background support, the kids will take care of themselves" thinking Urama (quite mind-blowingly) advocated.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
But this IS the current U20 with its picks from various age group so I'm not sure what you mean. It seems US is having a particularly strong group (even Sweden lost 7-1) and is set to have one for a while since some of the best players are just 17.

We should get Rantanen, Lehkonen and Honka but not a lot of clear better players on the way. Or am I missing something?

My team as of now:

Lehkonen
-Mustonen-Kapanen
Vähätalo-Saarela-Puljujärvi
Rantanen-Kinnunen-Ikonen
Lammikko-Rauhala-Ojamäki
Puhakka

Lintuniemi-Honka
Lyytinen-Mäkinen
Mäkelä-Levo
Ilvonen

Saros
Husso
Kähkönen

6 players and 2 goalies missing so.. It may seem like a small number but actually makes a huge difference for the team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
6 players and 2 goalies missing so.. It may seem like a small number but actually makes a huge difference for the team.
Agree otherwise, but you're jumping the gun with Puljujärvi. One good practice game with Kärpät isn't going to punch his ticket all the way to the WJC. If he sticks in their regular lineup, then sure. But right now there are a bunch of more probable people to fill that slot.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I have to admit, i don't know many of this year U-20 guys, but other then goalies and couple d-men and few forwards, this years team looks pretty weak, or am i wrong?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I have to admit, i don't know many of this year U-20 guys, but other then goalies and couple d-men and few forwards, this years team looks pretty weak, or am i wrong?

Defense is a lot weaker than before. '94 age group with Määttä, Pokka, Ristolainen and Vainonen was the best one we've had in the last ten years.

Forwards are pretty much the same they've been before except that this team is missing #1 center now that Barkov is in the NHL.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Netminding's stellar, but it will probably be the weakest group overall since 2010. A good crop of utility talent, but lacking household names you can rely on to make a difference in a tight spot.

It's still far from some truly weak groups preceding 2010 though, and the dip will be temporary. The class of '97 and especially '98 look great. But this year will be too early for them.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Looks like we don't have any gamebreakers in this years tournament, i don't think Kapanen is ready yet for that kinda role, Honka maybe in the powerplay. Although a lot can happen in 4 months. Let's hope that U-20 guys pulls off same kinda stuff that we pulled in WHC, timely goals and Saros standing on his head. Sorry for sounding a bit pessimistic.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Looking at the other teams aswell USA has been insane with the likes of Eichel, Tuch, Milano and co and Canada ofcourse with McDavids etc at home and small ice going to be the teams to beat. No team has gone worse from last year more than the Swedes. They lost incredible amount of top players and only replace them with Nylander basicly. Russia doesnt seem too impressive and Czechs/Slovaks/Swisses can always be beat. So gonna need complete game against the North Americans to get medal games or to the final but other than that rest of the field is beatable for sure.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
The Czechs have a good team this year, they just beat canada, if that means anything at this point of the year. Although Canada can be beat if you can get under their skin, they have at least couple knuckleheads who lose their **** pretty easily.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
The Czechs have a good team this year, they just beat canada, if that means anything at this point of the year. Although Canada can be beat if you can get under their skin, they have at least couple knuckleheads who lose their **** pretty easily.

Jea 1 good hit on McDavid and Morin/Domi start chasing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
A passable result for this group is making the QF and survival into next year. Which in a tournament of ten teams means not finishing dead last in the group.

However, the group split IS doing us some services this year. Our boys will be facing Canada, USA, Slovakia and Germany. While the NA groups will likely be too bitter a pill to swallow, especially on small ice, the other two shouldn't give 'em massive problems. If they finish 3rd and face one of Sweden/Czechs/Russia from the other side, they have to play a good game to beat 'em but won't need a perfect one. And even if the skaters are not up to speed, one man can make the difference in a game like that - and we've got Saros.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
A little bit off topic, but these major collapses seem to be the trend. Couldn't see the Hlinka games to make any assesments what went wrong. Seems defence & goaltending (and coaching) wasn't up to date since if the team is able to score 4-5 goals a game and still lose that's odd. 4-9 to USA in u18. Of course they are kids, but we aren't talking about one game only if you look back a little further. Pretty disappointing tournament especially looking who we had there. Not too worried about long term when you sew these kids together eventually. But hopefully the recent games and tournaments gets a proper look, evaluation and workaround for the future.

WJCH 2015 will be rough without Teräväinen onboard. Unless Saarela is taking major steps forward the team is lacking game breaking ability in the center. Really fascinating how one player (and a leader) can effect a team.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
A little bit off topic, but these major collapses seem to be the trend. Couldn't see the Hlinka games to make any assesments what went wrong. Seems defence & goaltending (and coaching) wasn't up to date since if the team is able to score 4-5 goals a game and still lose that's odd. 4-9 to USA in u18. Of course they are kids, but we aren't talking about one game only if you look back a little further. Pretty disappointing tournament especially looking who we had there. Not too worried about long term when you sew these kids together eventually. But hopefully the recent games and tournaments gets a proper look, evaluation and workaround for the future.

WJCH 2015 will be rough without Teräväinen onboard. Unless Saarela is taking major steps forward the team is lacking game breaking ability in the center. Really fascinating how one player (and a leader) can effect a team.

This is not good....:shakehead
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2014081418572415_jk.shtml

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013

3 blowouts for Finland Youth level national teams in a few months time. We touched on this and someone here once said well "when skill goes up the compete can go down". And I have feeling thats what happends when the headdown modest humble hardworking less skillful prototype players are getting fewer and more skilled individuals dont do the 2way traditiona finnish game.

So much excitement over the 2016 draft and now that generation blown out at Ivan Hlinka and Laines very weak skating is exposed and either of em Laine/Puljujärvi showing fingers and being dick to coaches... not good

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
3 blowouts for Finland Youth level national teams in a few months time. We touched on this and someone here once said well "when skill goes up the compete can go down". And I have feeling thats what happends when the headdown modest humble hardworking less skillful prototype players are getting fewer and more skilled individuals dont do the 2way traditiona finnish game.

So much excitement over the 2016 draft and now that generation blown out at Ivan Hlinka and Laines very weak skating is exposed and either of em Laine/Puljujärvi showing fingers and being dick to coaches... not good

Wasn't even aware of Laine's abysmal behaviour in the past. Heard that he was one of the youths with the snus experiement in a camp (which isn't actually anything worth the blowout in the newspapers). Seems like Puljujärvi is the more grown up version of the pair. Normally this kind of behaviour leans towards parenting, or more like the lack of it. Yeah, the kids will learn eventually that skills can only carry you so far and the rest is earned by hard work.

warkkila

Aug 8, 2014

These junior games are such a Hawaii hockey that you should not worry too much.:)

Czechs pretty much stole the game in Hlinka tourney, Finland outshot and outplayed them by wide margin. Even the czech coach said that in game report. Then against much tougher USA team it was must win situation for both teams, and under pressure (and maybe because of the Laine situation) nothing worked in Finlands game.

Also I dont think its that worrisome when you realise that Finland had the youngest team in tournament, total of five '98 players, and Puljujärvi allready scoring in 3/4 games.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Wasn't even aware of Laine's abysmal behaviour in the past. Heard that he was one of the youths with the snus experiement in a camp (which isn't actually anything worth the blowout in the newspapers). Seems like Puljujärvi is the more grown up version of the pair. Normally this kind of behaviour leans towards parenting, or more like the lack of it. Yeah, the kids will learn eventually that skills can only carry you so far and the rest is earned by hard work.

Laine was indeed sent home from Pohjola camp but I'm not sure if it was the snus that got him kicked out or if it was bad behavior in general. Based on what I've heard about him, the Hlinka incident isn't the first time he's had discipline issues. Puljujärvi does seem to be easier in that regard and if I were Jortsu, I would give him a try-out with the U20 team. Same with Aho and Nättinen.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Puljujärvi does seem to be easier in that regard and if I were Jortsu, I would give him a try-out with the U20 team. Same with Aho and Nättinen.

It seems that Pulju is getting a chance to impress Jortsu next week in Jönköping.

I have a feeling that Nättinen has a zero chance making the WJC squad this season. Mustonen, Rauhala, Vähätalo, Björninen and Kinnunen were the guys that Jortsu used in the middle at Lake Placid. Saarela played wing there, but I guess he'd be the next option in line after these guys.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
The line-up to Jönköping:
Kalle Hokkanen (TPS) -95
Ville Husso (HIFK) -95

Jimi Kuronen (LeKi) -95
Mikke Levo (Ilves) -95
Joonas Lyytinen (KalPa) -95
Aleksi Mäkelä (Ilves) -95
Atte Mäkinen (Tappara) -95
Sami Niku (JYP) -96