WJC 2015 - Roster Talk

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Lots of potential wjc players getting a good change early. Puljujärvi, Hintz, Rantanen, Ikonen, Saarela, Lyytinen and Mustonen getting top6/top4 minutes right away.

Ojamäki, Rauhala, Kinnunen, Lämsä, Tuulola, Mäkinen, Pulli, Björninen and Aho getting a change in Liiga too.

Also Kalapudas, Turunen, Niku, J.Nättinen and Antonen have started of strong in Mestis.

At least Jortikka has some options now.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Lots of potential wjc players getting a good change early. Puljujärvi, Hintz, Rantanen, Ikonen, Saarela, Lyytinen and Mustonen getting top6/top4 minutes right away.

Ojamäki, Rauhala, Kinnunen, Lämsä, Tuulola, Mäkinen, Pulli, Björninen and Aho getting a change in Liiga too.

Also Kalapudas, Turunen, Niku, J.Nättinen and Antonen have started of strong in Mestis.

At least Jortikka has some options now.

Sebastian Moberg has been solid with HIFK as well. He's done well in the CHL group stage and recorded his first Liiga point in his debut yesterday. Probably going to stick with the big club at least until Söderholm and Honkaheimo return from injury, maybe even after that(depending mostly on ice time concerns). Might not be his year for the WJC yet due to his age, but if he becomes a regular in Liiga I think he must at least be in the discussion.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Might not be his year for the WJC yet due to his age, but if he becomes a regular in Liiga I think he must at least be in the discussion.
Umm... Moberg is a '96 born - and early in the year at that. A year younger from the main class isn't an odd sight at all. Heck, what some of you should get is that they aren't even underage anymore since they're already too old to participate in the U18s.

If something hinders Moberg, it's the lack of prestige attached to his name rather than his age. But any eligible names that are going to clock a plenty of Liiga minutes should and will get a long hard look when things are being said and done.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Umm... Moberg is a '96 born - and early in the year at that. A year younger from the main class isn't an odd sight at all. Heck, what some of you should get is that they aren't even underage anymore since they're already too old to participate in the U18s.

If something hinders Moberg, it's the lack of prestige attached to his name rather than his age. But any eligible names that are going to clock a plenty of Liiga minutes should and will get a long hard look when things are being said and done.

I know, but sometimes these less touted players only get to go on their final year of eligibility, being left out in favor of those that have that extra year of experience. Of course now we're in a situation where we don't have too many returning defensemen, so that's less of a concern here. Still, not too many people seem to have him in their speculations so I figured he might have to wait another year for his chance.

Anyhow, playing under the bright lights of the big city will surely help him get over that name recognition problem(especially with that name). I hope he makes it to the team, he's a fun player to watch.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I know, but sometimes these less touted players only get to go on their final year of eligibility, being left out in favor of those that have that extra year of experience. Of course now we're in a situation where we don't have too many returning defensemen, so that's less of a concern here. Still, not too many people seem to have him in their speculations so I figured he might have to wait another year for his chance.
It's indeed a largely different situation this year when there's only one slam-dunk name to make the squad, so there's no point in reading much into others' speculations in the first place. At least when the season is still young.

All the rest of the spots behind Honka are up for grabs. And when that happens to be the case, the predictions tend to go all over the place. I usually keep myself from making predictions that go too far in a situation like this, but a good rule of thumb is to just watch who gets to play Liiga and who doesn't.

If Moberg sticks, his stock will rise real fast. Another name I can easily predict getting some extra spotlight soon is Joni Tuulola. Needs more work as of now, but HPK seems dead set in turning him into a player.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Husso with a very strong start to the season. Is Saros still the obvious number one or is it a two horse race now?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Husso with a very strong start to the season. Is Saros still the obvious number one or is it a two horse race now?

I think Husso is #1 now, Saros has had pretty rough start for the season and Husso has been really good in both Liiga and with the national team.

Honka was sent to AHL, which could mean he won't play in this tournament, big blow. Kapanen could also miss the tournament but we are stacked at RW anyway.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Man will Puljujärvi turn some eyes there. Even if he just has a "good" performance. If you are of top country and make it into this competition at 16 that often means there's something special at hands.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think Husso is #1 now, Saros has had pretty rough start for the season and Husso has been really good in both Liiga and with the national team.
Husso looks like he's ahead, but it's way too early to call him #1. Saros still has that last tournament distinction about him.

Doesn't of course matter which one they'll play, as long as it's the better one.

Honka was sent to AHL, which could mean he won't play in this tournament, big blow. Kapanen could also miss the tournament but we are stacked at RW anyway.
Unless Honka is among the first callups, the chances of him getting to go are still pretty good. Using words like "big blow" is jumping the gun (once again) until it's absolutely certain they don't let him. I'd say the odds are actually in the favor since the games are in NA.

I don't really see Kapanen breaking the Pens roster either, at least for good. At the latest he'll go back to KalPa when his nine games are up and will play save for injury.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Unless Honka is among the first callups, the chances of him getting to go are still pretty good. Using words like "big blow" is jumping the gun (once again) until it's absolutely certain they don't let him. I'd say the odds are actually in the favor since the games are in NA.

Agreed. Remember that Ristolainen for example was released last time, and he was pretty high up in the Sabres' depth charts as well. Most organizations seem to value the WJC over playing in the AHL, especially with such a large role being offered. Also agree on Kapanen, just don't see him playing beyond the nine games.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Pretty amazing that we just might have almost the whole team consisting of Liiga regulars at this rate and still have a bunch left out. Add to that a CHLer or two and then Honka, and it all looks pretty solid on paper.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Pretty amazing that we just might have almost the whole team consisting of Liiga regulars at this rate and still have a bunch left out. Add to that a CHLer or two and then Honka, and it all looks pretty solid on paper.
Solid on all counts save for perhaps down the middle. Still not quite sure who are leading centermen are going to be. Unless I'm mistaken, we're looking at Mustonen-Saarela for that one-two punch now? Serviceable (and Saarela ought to be a beast year or two down the line)... but does not quite live up to the rest of the departments.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Solid on all counts save for perhaps down the middle. Still not quite sure who are leading centermen are going to be. Unless I'm mistaken, we're looking at Mustonen-Saarela for that one-two punch now? Serviceable (and Saarela ought to be a beast year or two down the line)... but does not quite live up to the rest of the departments.

If Hintz is on the starting roster, then I think the top-3 lines would be built around the Lehkonen-Kapanen, Rantanen-Vähätalo and Mustonen-Hintz pairs, which would leave Saarela as the 1C since he's definitely not a fourth liner.

The centers are all very interchangable though, if you're willing to break up those pairs. 1C could be Saarela or Mustonen or possibly Kinnunen because of the KalPa connection. Vähätalo is also an option if size is desired alongside Lehkonen and Kapanen.

On paper it's one of those situations that doesn't have any wrong answers, but none of them seem quite right either. It'll make more sense as we get more games in.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
On paper it's one of those situations that doesn't have any wrong answers, but none of them seem quite right either.
This is pretty much what I was going after. Plenty of serviceable creatures, but none you could put ahead of the rest, like TT last year.

Let's hope indeed one still raises to the occasion. Last time that happened was in 2011 when MiG was injured with no immediate replacement options. Then-coach Marjamäki ended up giving the mantle to Haula who answered the call in a highly positive manner.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Petrus Palmu is looking good at OHL, any chance for him making it to the u-20 team? And is Jarno Kärki from Ässät too old, he has outplayed his linemate Saarela this season?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Petrus Palmu is looking good at OHL, any chance for him making it to the u-20 team?
A '97 born who hasn't featured even in U18 yet doesn't look very likely. Especially from NA. Regardless of whether his level of play would be up for it or not, he simply isn't in the "circles" so to speak. Next year, perhaps.

And is Jarno Kärki from Ässät too old, he has outplayed his linemate Saarela this season?
One can easily check his birth year using the Liiga site or EliteProspects. But let it be known that he's a '94 born. So yeah, too old.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I think Mustonen is our best alternative for 1st line CE as long as he stays healthy. He was already the 2nd line CE last year and his game has taken a step forward this season. He's a dependable player and also rather good in the face-off circle. No idea of Jortikka's plans, but with the way things are going Saarela might be our best bet for 2nd line CE. In this case the 3rd line CE could probabaly be anyone from Kalapudas, Vähätalo, Björninen, Kinnunen and Hintz, a lot depends on what kind of player Jortikka is looking for to fill that spot. In addition to some of the names mentioned above, Rauhala could be one of the alternatives for 4th line CE.

My lottery changes from week to week, but here's more or less how I'd set it right now:

---------------------------1st team---------------------------

Artturi Lehkonen (-95) - Aleksi Mustonen (-95) - Kasperi Kapanen (-96)
Juho Lammikko (-96) - Aleksi Saarela (-97) - Mikko Rantanen (-96)
Roope Hintz (-96) - Antti Kalapudas (-96) - Jesse Puljujärvi (-98)
Otto Rauhala (-95) - Julius Vähätalo (-95) - Niko Ojamäki (-95)
Juuso Ikonen (-95)

Joni Tuulola (-96) - Julius Honka (-95)
Joonas Lyytinen (-95) - Atte Mäkinen (-95)
Alex Lintuniemi (-95) - Sami Niku (-96)
Aleksi Mäkelä (-95)

Juuse Saros (-95)
Ville Husso (-95)
Kaapo Kähkönen (-96)

---------------------------2nd team---------------------------

Ilkka Kangasniemi (-95) - Hannes Björninen (-95) - Patrik Laine (-98)
Sebastian Aho (-97) - Julius Nättinen (-97) - Joose Antonen (-95)
Waltteri Hopponen (-96) - Saku Kinnunen (-95) - Janne Puhakka (-95)
Joel Janatuinen (-95) - Teemu Lämsä (-96) - Joel Kiviranta (-96)
Miska Siikonen (-96)

Mika Ilvonen (-95) - Teemu Vuorisalo (-95)
Mikke Levo (-95) - Matias Pulli (-95)
Miro Keskitalo (-96) - Erik Autio (-95)
Jimi Kuronen (-95)

Kevin Lankinen (-95)
Christoffer Hernberg (-95)
Veini Vehviläinen (-97)

---------------------------3rd team---------------------------

Petrus Palmu (-97) - Kasperi Ojantakanen (-95) - Teemu Turunen (-95)
Jonatan Tanus (-95) - Miro Mäkinen (-96) - Santeri Vuoti (-95)
Timi Lahtinen (-95) - Manu Honkanen (-96) - Teemu Pulkkinen (-95)
Ville Meskanen (-95) - Henri Keskilohko (-95) - Sami Anttila (-95)
Felix Westermarck (-95)

Sebastian Moberg (-96) - Eetu Sopanen (-96)
Olli Juolevi (-98) - Vili Saarijärvi (-97)
Jere Rouhiainen (-96) - Markus Haapanen (-96)
Petteri Laakso (-95)

Antti Karjalainen (-95)
Tuukka Smura (-95)
Kalle Hokkanen (-95)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I'd like to see something like this

Lehkonen-Mustonen-Puljujärvi
Hintz-Saarela-Kapanen
Ikonen-Vähätalo-Rantanen
Lammikko-Rauhala-Ojamäki
Kinnunen

Tuulola-Honka
Levo-Mäkinen
Lintuniemi-Lyytinen

Niku/Vuorisalo/Pulli/Mäkelä

Husso/Saros
Kähkönen

Since we don't have any superstars spreading out talent and making evenly matched pairings/lines is the way to go.

edit. forgot Björninen who is returning to Pelicans lineup after injury. Could be an option for 3rd or 4th line role, if Jortikka want's some size there instead of skill.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Lehkonen-Mustonen-Puljujärvi
You really have a hard-on for Puljujärvi, eh? While he has been showing that he belongs, putting him up as the main go-to-guy on the top unit is still too much, too soon. Remember, even Barkov started out as a bottom-six guy.

I'd understand if we didn't have better prestige but currently that slot is pretty much stapled for Kapanen. Rantanen is also far more deserving at this point.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
You really have a hard-on for Puljujärvi, eh? While he has been showing that he belongs, putting him up as the main go-to-guy on the top unit is still too much, too soon. Remember, even Barkov started out as a bottom-six guy.

I'd understand if we didn't have better prestige but currently that slot is pretty much stapled for Kapanen. Rantanen is also far more deserving at this point.

No. I just wanted to create 3 equal scoring lines, with no more than 1 midget in each line. Of course Ikonen/Kapanen would play over Puljujärvi in PP.

Lehkonen-Mustonen-Kapanen
Rantanen-Saarela-Ikonen
Hintz-Vähätalo-Puljujärvi

Well I guess that works too.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
For comparison's sake here are the forward lines I've been considering:

Lehkonen - Saarela - Kapanen
Ikonen - Vähätalo - Rantanen
Hintz - Mustonen - Puljujärvi
Lammikko - Rauhala - Ojamäki
Kinnunen

This gives us more of a 1A-1B-1C situation, which when properly used can be a big asset. It also keeps the connections I previously mentioned intact. Defense is still too even to call imo, and of course these lines change all the time as well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No. I just wanted to create 3 equal scoring lines, with no more than 1 midget in each line.
There's size and then there's size. Mustonen is small. However, while Kapanen and Lehkonen are bit on the short side, neither of them is physically weak. There's really no need to add Puljujärvi to a line simply on the count of his size.

It's funny though. I notice I've been making a fair handful of comments playing Puljujärvi down while I'm pretty stoked about having a prospect like him. It's just that... while he's got a man's frame and is quite able to handle himself among men, there hasn't really been a single kid who's been a standout player in a U20 team at 16. Barkov wasn't like that - even Crosby wasn't like that. They weren't dead weight, but still required a year or two more to truly be able to carry the team. It's this fact that makes me feel that some people ought to rein in the moped in regards of Puljujärvi. For now.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
It's funny though. I notice I've been making a fair handful of comments playing Puljujärvi down while I'm pretty stoked about having a prospect like him. It's just that... while he's got a man's frame and is quite able to handle himself among men, there hasn't really been a single kid who's been a standout player in a U20 team at 16. Barkov wasn't like that - even Crosby wasn't like that. They weren't dead weight, but still required a year or two more to truly be able to carry the team. It's this fact that makes me feel that some people ought to rein in the moped in regards of Puljujärvi. For now.

I don't think anybody expects some crazy things from him. I would be happy if he could fill the role that Nikko played last year. Few goals and generate some energy out there. Ikonen, Lehkonen, Mustonen and Kapanen are the ones who will need to carry the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad