WJC 2015 - Roster Talk

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is this new for you to put Patrik Laine on this roster?

What are your reasons why him?

His willingness to score once he gets the puck is just something special.
I mean it's kinda hard to explain, but he just looks that nothing is going to stop him once he gets the puck. Kinda like young Ovechkin.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Puhakka has surprised me (statistically of course, haven't seen any games) positively. Thought he would struggle in CHL like Markkula but he has played very well. Hopefully Kivi will take a good look at him next season if he continues to play in Chicoutimi.
Wouldn't be the biggest surprise if Kivi ends up selecting Puhakka to the team, he's capable of playing a smart two-way game and has some offensive upside as well. Some similarities with guys like Haapala and Kulmala from this year's team.

Marjamäki told Jesse is gonna have chance to Kärpät next season. And i think there is gonna be some holes on Kärpät roster cause some off the guys wanna bigger role.
Going to be a tough challenge for him, wingers like Suoranta, Mäenalanen, Leskinen and Aho will be battling for the same roster spot with him. And that's when we count out all the experinced guys.

Is this new for you to put Patrik Laine on this roster?

What are your reasons why him?
With 3 games left in the regular season Laine has 24 goals in 39 Jr.A games.

Toni Rajala had 13 goals in 33 Jr.A games the season before his first WJC’s. Joel Armia had 15 goals in 27 Jr.A games the season before his first WJC’s. Kasperi Kapanen had 14 goals in 36 Jr.A games last season and would’ve played at the WJC’s this season if healthy.

Jr.A this season with 16 teams might not be quite as competitive as it’s been in some past years, but if Laine’s development continues nicely, he should be a candidate to play at the next WJC’s. Not only does his stats compare favourably, he has a toolset that would fit well in our top-6; a big, rangy righty with a great shot and a knack for finding the back of the net.

Of course the summer needs to go well and he needs to continue to round out his game, but this applied to other scoring wingers I mentioned above as well. I’m an optimist and I’m counting on the fact that 15-year-old players often have the potential to develop very quickly. In Laine’s case development in overall conditioning alone should translate into notable improvement on the ice. Let’s see how it goes, in August we should be a lot wiser about his chances. Hlinka Cup and first pre-season games often tell a lot.

Last edited:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I was at the Jokerit - Ilves game and i was quite happy about Aleksi Mäkelä's performance.

I noticed that he has been injured for a long time espesially when he had to stretch his shifts. His endurance is propably not yet in the level he wants.

He had few close call plays where he didnt distribute the puck where he wanted but overall he played quite good and i understand why some people consider him better than his team mate Mikke Levo.

Pretty good lateral movement anf overall solid in both ends. Something about him reminds me of Lydman and that could be what he becomes if everything goes well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jalonen is available but will he stay away from Finland due to tax reasons?
His family still lives here. It'd be strange for him to stay away if he's got no job abroad. Having to budget your own living in a hotel or such doesn't give a plenty of advantage versus the tax bear.

It seems strange that Liitto will let go of Kivi so easily. I'm not saying it's Jalonen, but they must have a viable replacement singled out. It'd be a huge PR loss otherwise.

Jalonen was watching the game in Minsk tonight, btw. I wonder if he was there simply for the heck of it, or if Liitto's angling for something.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
His family still lives here. It'd be strange for him to stay away if he's got no job abroad. Having to budget your own living in a hotel or such doesn't give a plenty of advantage versus the tax bear.

It seems strange that Liitto will let go of Kivi so easily. I'm not saying it's Jalonen, but they must have a viable replacement singled out. It'd be a huge PR loss otherwise.

Jalonen was watching the game in Minsk tonight, btw. I wonder if he was there simply for the heck of it, or if Liitto's angling for something.

We're talking about very big money here. My long time buddy's younger sister has worked at the Finnish school in Moscow this past year and she can't come back home until late June or early July because she'd get double taxed. Although she's not making Jalonen money but quite a bit higher than a regular teacher in Finland would, the difference even at that level is apparently huge. So I can easily see Jalonen being careful with the number of dates he spends in Finland.

Last edited by a moderator:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Newest rumors point towards Aravirta.

Would not be a huge washout... but not exactly as exciting a name as Kivi, no doubt.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Now it's Jortikka.

It's obvious there aren't many people who would NOT be a downgrade from Kivi, and while Jortikka is not one of them, I'll give this my careful acceptance. At least they're getting a pro coach with some merit and not someone who's still learning the ropes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Now it's Jortikka.

It's obvious there aren't many people who would NOT be a downgrade from Kivi, and while Jortikka is not one of them, I'll give this my careful acceptance. At least they're getting a pro coach with some merit and not someone who's still learning the ropes.

He coached the team at the 2010 tournament so it's not like he'd be out of touch.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He coached the team at the 2010 tournament so it's not like he'd be out of touch.

Well he completely trashed USHL, where Haula was playing that year and didn't pick him, so I don't trust his North American scouting skills.

Reminder: http://www.jatkoaika.com/Kolumni/missä-haula/75125

Scouting NA is important this year as we have many potential players there this time Honka, Puhakka, Ojantakainen, Autio, Ilvonen, Hopponen, Lintuniemi, Kuronen, Parikka to name a few.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
It seems that Urama got booted from the U18 job, in early January they came out with this list, but now they have quietly replaced him with Marttila on the new list. It's understandable that there aren't that many good coaches available this late, but it would've been nice to see some new faces, just for a change of scenery if nothing else.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's understandable that there aren't that many good coaches available this late, but it would've been nice to see some new faces, just for a change of scenery if nothing else.
There are always some up-and-comings available, if Liitto is willing to take the chance. To give an example, one name I'd like to see try his hand at directing some junior group is Tero Lehterä.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There are always some up-and-comings available, if Liitto is willing to take the chance. To give an example, one name I'd like to see try his hand at directing some junior group is Tero Lehterä.

Way, WAY too soon. You don't put a coach with only little junior coaching experience at the helm of national team. He needs a lot more experience.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well he completely trashed USHL, where Haula was playing that year and didn't pick him, so I don't trust his North American scouting skills.

Reminder: http://www.jatkoaika.com/Kolumni/missä-haula/75125

Scouting NA is important this year as we have many potential players there this time Honka, Puhakka, Ojantakainen, Autio, Ilvonen, Hopponen, Lintuniemi, Kuronen, Parikka to name a few.

The fact the Jortikka was also employed by Jokerit at the time, meant that he couldn't travel to NA personally like Karri Kivi did. With Kekäläinen, we also have a much better network there to assist the national team coaches with player scouting.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Way, WAY too soon. You don't put a coach with only little junior coaching experience at the helm of national team. He needs a lot more experience.
For what it's worth, I wasn't talking about any of the 'flagship' teams. U16, U17 might be a good starting point and let him work his way up from there. U18 at most, and even that's a stab in the dark.

Assistant coaching gigs might also be a good fit.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

He has more experience than a certain men's team's assistant coach. Lehterä would be acceptable even for the U18 team at this stage and he would not even be the worst choice Liitto could make.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Complete U20 team staff for 2014-15:

Hannu Jortikka, Head Coach
Mikko Haapakoski, Coach
Petri Karjalainen, Coach
Miikka Kiprusoff, Goaltending Coach
Veli-Pekka Ketola, Team Manager

Haapakoski and Karjalainen were also part of Kivi's staff, so at least there's some continuity.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Complete U20 team staff for 2014-15:

Hannu Jortikka, Head Coach
Mikko Haapakoski, Coach
Petri Karjalainen, Coach
Miikka Kiprusoff, Goaltending Coach
Veli-Pekka Ketola, Team Manager

Haapakoski and Karjalainen were also part of Kivi's staff, so at least there's some continuity.

Vellu Ketola was national team manager when Jortsu was an assistant so they know each other well.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Team to Lake Placid in August:
Artturi Lehkonen (-95) - Aleksi Mustonen (-95) - Kasperi Kapanen (-96)
Juho Lammikko (-96) - Aleksi Saarela (-97) - Mikko Rantanen (-96)
Waltteri Hopponen (-96) - Saku Kinnunen (-95) - Juuso Ikonen (-95)
Otto Rauhala (-95) - Julius Vähätalo (-95) - Niko Ojamäki (-95)
Joel Janatuinen (-95) - Hannes Björninen (-95)

Aleksi Mäkelä (-95) - Julius Honka (-95)
Mika Ilvonen (-95) - Atte Mäkinen (-95)
Erik Autio (-95) - Teemu Vuorisalo (-95)
Miro Keskitalo (-96) - Sami Niku (-96)

Juuse Saros (-95)
Ville Husso (-95)

Other options down the line??
Sebastian Aho (-97) - Manu Honkanen (-96) - Jesse Puljujärvi (-98)
Joel Kiviranta (-96) - Roope Hintz (-96) - Patrik Laine (-98)
Janne Puhakka (-95) - Jonatan Tanus (-95) - Joose Antonen (-95)
Timi Lahtinen (-95) - Eetu Koivistoinen (-95) - Sebastian Repo (-96)
Teemu Turunen (-95) - Kasperi Ojantakanen (-95)

Joonas Lyytinen (-95) - Eetu Sopanen (-96)
Alex Lintuniemi (-95) - Vili Saarijärvi (-97)
Joni Tuulola (-96) - Miro Karjalainen (-96)
Mikke Levo (-95) - Veeti Vainio (-97)

Kaapo Kähkönen (-96)
Kevin Lankinen (-95)

Last resort if nothing else??
Ilkka Kangasniemi (-95) - Antti Kalapudas (-96) - Sami Anttila (-95)
Petrus Palmu (-97) - Julius Nättinen (-97) - Miikka Pitkänen (-96)
Santeri Vuoti (-95) - Henri Keskilohko (-95) - Panu Mieho (-95)
Miska Siikonen (-96) - Teemu Lämsä (-96) - Felix Westermarck (-95)
Roope Kuhakoski (-95) - Teemu Pulkkinen (-95)

Olli Juolevi (-98) - Matias Pulli (-95)
Ville Väinölä (-96) - Petteri Laakso (-95)
Samuel Sikstus (-95) - Sebastian Moberg (-96)
Jarkko Parikka (-97) - Elmeri Eronen (-95)

Kalle Hokkanen (-95)
Veini Vehviläinen (-97)

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad