Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That 2019 draft is really loaded in hindsight. The Rangers could be really kicking themselves soon

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
While I am beyond excited to see his play, I do still think that the ducks will end up with a high lottery pick.

If the ducks take a prospect like Wright or Savoie, do we think Zegras will stay at Center or move to Wing?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That 2019 draft is really loaded in hindsight. The Rangers could be really kicking themselves soon

Just not right at the top. It has a shitload of great prospects drafted a little lower though - Seider, Zegras and Caulfield in particular all look like absolute steals.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I hope so, I got 1k in at +1600 odds.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Just not right at the top. It has a shitload of great prospects drafted a little lower though - Seider, Zegras and Caulfield in particular all look like absolute steals.

I was obsessed with this draft class for almost a year before the draft. Mainly because of Zegras, Hughes, Caufield and Seider, I was certain Seider would "go early" to the Ducks at 9. IMO the Ducks didnt neccesarily target Trevor or really knew what they had, he just kind of fell into their spot and was a no-brainer pretty much.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
While I am beyond excited to see his play, I do still think that the ducks will end up with a high lottery pick.

If the ducks take a prospect like Wright or Savoie, do we think Zegras will stay at Center or move to Wing?

It might come down to who's a better C between him and McTavish if we draft a better C. Zegras might benefit more as a 2C (1BC?) since he's a facilitator. It would be a great problem to have.

Reactions: Boo Boo

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
It might come down to who's a better C between him and McTavish if we draft a better C. Zegras might benefit more as a 2C (1BC?) since he's a facilitator. It would be a great problem to have.
If they don't play zegras at center they are brain dead.

Reactions: Deuce22 and lwvs84

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This is their pattern. More concerned about face offs and defensive "responsibility" than creating offense.
Yep. To Bob Murray puck possession means winning faceoffs and that is all that matters. Under Murray: Steel will stay at center as long as he wins faceoffs. He prefers 2way safe players over dynamic offensive players.

Fowler was dynamic in 2010-11 but he was bad defensively and got his dynamic offense coached out of him and turned him into a more 2way safe player.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This is their pattern. More concerned about face offs and defensive "responsibility" than creating offense.
I think defensive responsibility is important, especially come playoff time. You don't want offensive players that don't move their ass in 60% of ice sheet.

Faceoffs are important for starting possession as well, I like that. But I wish we would pay more attention to keep that possession, yes. That is a weak point for us, partially because of the lack of skill we have, but also I believe our team just lacks hustle. We are doing the safe play too much. As long as we are defensively responsible, we can get more opportunistic in the offensive zone, IMO.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think defensive responsibility is important, especially come playoff time. You don't want offensive players that don't move their ass in 60% of ice sheet.

Faceoffs are important for starting possession as well, I like that. But I wish we would pay more attention to keep that possession, yes. That is a weak point for us, partially because of the lack of skill we have, but also I believe our team just lacks hustle. We are doing the safe play too much. As long as we are defensively responsible, we can get more opportunistic in the offensive zone, IMO.
The best defense is to possess the puck and be in the other team's zone. This concept seems to be lost to the current regime. Consistently being outshot because our players are "defensively responsible" and don't control the puck isn't how winning teams play. Benching Zegras at the end of periods last year illustrates this kind of thinking. They thought they were improving the defense by taking our best player at creating offense off the ice. Winning faceoffs is great, I used to love have Kesler out there for D-zone draws when we had the lead. But not important enough to overcome deficiencies in the rest of a player's game. To win in today's NHL, you must convert on the PP and keep the puck in the other team's zone. It's just that simple.

Reactions: Bender66 and Kalv

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I think you guys are going waaaaaay overboard with the, "coached the skill away", narrative. I can't remember the last time I saw a player get put in the doghouse for trying to play with skill. Rakell, Vatanen, Zegras, Getzlaf, Perry, Drysdale, Terry, hell even a guy like Sekac, they were all allowed and even encouraged to make skilled plays.

Maybe players like Steel just don't have what it takes to make those kinds of plays at this level and if that's their analysis of Steel I completely agree with them. Fowler started playing much safer after getting obliterated by Doan, I don't think he was coached to stop taking risks.

Now, if you want to argue we don't take enough chances in the draft on high-skill forwards, I think I would get behind that.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think you guys are going waaaaaay overboard with the, "coached the skill away", narrative. I can't remember the last time I saw a player get put in the doghouse for trying to play with skill. Rakell, Vatanen, Zegras, Getzlaf, Perry, Drysdale, Terry, hell even a guy like Sekac, they were all allowed and even encouraged to make skilled plays.

Maybe players like Steel just don't have what it takes to make those kinds of plays at this level and if that's their analysis of Steel I completely agree with them. Fowler started playing much safer after getting obliterated by Doan, I don't think he was coached to stop taking risks.

Now, if you want to argue we don't take enough chances in the draft on high-skill forwards, I think I would get behind that.

Steel was given the exact same linemates to start the year that Zegras got when he started at center. One of them drove the line like a legitimate first line center, the other didnt because Eakins hates offense and wants him to be a 4th liner or some bs.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Steel was given the exact same linemates to start the year that Zegras got when he started at center. One of them drove the line like a legitimate first line center, the other didnt because Eakins hates offense and wants him to be a 4th liner or some bs.

So many are forgetting that Steel was widely praised for his first half dozen games when he was on that line last year and many were claiming he was our best player. It was as the season went on he started struggling.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
So many are forgetting that Steel was widely praised for his first half dozen games when he was on that line last year and many were claiming he was our best player. It was as the season went on he started struggling.
I never remember the words steel and best together. Ever.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

He had a good start and then fell off and never got it back together, but it's not from a lack of opportunity or being forced into a grinding style. He just hasnt found a way to be a consistent contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad